Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms
    #2832136 -

Hey there! Yesterday I went hunting in a few different pine forrests and one eucalypt/pine mix forrest (mostly pine). I found quite a few subs (Psilocybe subaeruginosa)  growing off pine needles (which suprised me a bit). And I also found a nice big fly agaric (Amanita muscaria) and what I think is a death cap (Amanita phalloides).

The total amount of fresh subs weighed 85grams wet :laugh:  :thumbup:
(shrooms on a4 paper)


Here's some habitat shots:









and the amanitas...

The deathcap (I think)


and the Fly!


-Right next to the fly on a tree stump was a chunk of mycelium(sp?) that i grabbed. I'm also making a sporeprint of the fly.
In my backyard I have some tree mulch/wood under this tree that i hope would make a suitable substrate, i'm going to bury the myc and make a spore solution and spray the area. I hope that within the next few years i can have my own Flys in my backyard, They look great IMO!

I also found a shitload of milkcaps (mmmm yum, excellent with scrambled eggs!). Here's a photo of an average sized milkcap that looked really perfect!!! (the ring pattern and the dots) So I took a photo.



Well there ya have it. Cheers for looking. Any tips on growing the Fly? Also a positive ID for the Deathcap would be nice. Just to be sure.

Allright Cheers Cya!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: el_duderino]
    #2832156 -

Amanitas are mycorrhizal. So, if you can find a way to cultivate it and get it to fruit you'll very probably be the first person to ever have done that. Don't let that discourage you, but expect that it won't be nearly as easy as other mushrooms. Good luck.

Your "death cap" is not even an Amanita. It's actually a member of the genus Lepiota. A close examination of the ring should reveal that it can actually be moved along the stem without breaking, if you're very careful. Also, no Amanitas have scaly caps, a feature that should tip you off immediately - If you have something that looks like a scaly capped Amanita, make an immediate mental jump to Lepiota. Some Lepiotas (that some mycologists place in genus Macrolepiota) are choice edibles (some Macrolepiotas are poisonous). Some of them are deadly poisonous (the ones near L. josserandii). Be very careful of your identifications of Lepiotas if you intend to eat them. Size and bruising reactions are important for their identification.

Happy mushroming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2832191 -

Haha fair enough, I just had a mental image of what i thought the deathcap looked like, and that was it. I am a total n00b to mycology though. I never really researched the deathcap, just thought it looked like that. It was mainly the size and the ring on the stem  that made me think it is an Amanita, + white gills and general white colour made me think it is an Amanita Phalloides. Also just like the Fly it had small white speckles on the stem that would easily fall off.

Cheers for the info buddy! much appreciated! :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: el_duderino]
    #2832689 -

Hi elza', great pics !! The subs resemble the ACT variant I used to find (early 1990's) in mixed pine/ eucalypt forest, size-wise (they look pretty big, 5 cm or so diameter on the biggest ?), and dark caps like them too... I'm guessing those were found in a pretty 'dark/ well covered/ shaded' area ? Here's the only pics I have on the server from the only patch of shrooms I've found in Melbourne that resembled the pine'sters. It was dark. Bugger.





That 4th pic down looks a bit out of place though... I'd be filing that one in the 'dodgy' basket, but mebbe it's just an odd pic...

The lepiota (not death-cap, I think ;-) ) pic you posted reminds me of the best shot I've ever taken/ personally snapped, a macrolepiota with pobble-bonk... I'll trot this pic out at the slightest provocation cause it's my fave', here it is once again...



Re the amanita shot, we routinely found that species in the same ACT mixed eucalypt/ pine forests as the subs...


--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: suboriginal]
    #2832854 -

You should learn to brighten your pictures instead of posting black squares.

Send me $5 for having to do it for you.


--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: Hanky]
    #2835531 -

That looks kinda processed/ foggy to me Mr Hanky, my shots look more like what I actually saw... you can always turn the brightness up on your monitor for a moment... no 5 clam charge on that either (chuckle)...


--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: suboriginal]
    #2835855 -

the 4th pic does look a bit dodgy but that's mostly due to the stem being out of focus. It had the same sub-looking stem + the cap showed some blueing later on. It was pretty dried out and hence looks a little strange.

BTW cheers for all the kind words fellas! :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: suboriginal]
    #2835883 -

Oh yeh and the biggest sub had a cap of 5.7cm in diameter! w00t!  :thumbup:

BTW, suboriginal, nice macrolepiota :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sub Find + other non PA mushrooms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2836164 -

That Lepiota looks to be Lepiota Rhacodes. I've found a few patches at Discovery Park, in Seattle.


--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Macrolepiota rachodes? nubus 4,569 5 04/23/03 01:01 PM
by nubus
* Eucalypt Forest Hunting - Central Coast NSW
( 1 2 all )
CaelaHarlot 4,455 30 04/21/10 11:25 PM
by gdowg
* Macrolepiota ranx 1,606 10 07/29/10 08:09 AM
by KBG1977
* Re: Death Cap Mushrooms Krupa 3,320 10 07/11/00 08:16 AM
by Anonymous
* Macrolepiota procera or Macrolepiota rachodes??? ESanceOfCyan 3,350 5 11/10/06 07:29 AM
by CureCat
* Mushrooms in Pa MooonGlow 1,505 4 06/04/02 01:09 PM
by MooonGlow
* lodi family sick after eating deathcaps
( 1 2 all )
nachohippie 1,952 27 11/13/09 07:14 PM
by inski
* Mushroom Identification, URGENT COULD BE DEATHCAPS, I SOLD THEM TO SOMEONE *DELETED* Spike345185 787 12 11/12/17 11:49 PM
by Spike345185

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,881 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 32 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.