Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here...
    #2829441 - 06/25/04 11:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So I was meditating last night and had a different sort of experience.

I had been at it for 5-10 minutes, when I suddenly felt like I was doing something right. It was a similar to my "ego-loss" experience in that I felt a melding between myself and the surroundings. Not nearly as intense as the mushroom trip but it was just not clear where my body stopped and the couch began, though if I tried I could obviously tell.

I felt super-aware. I normally have an increased awareness when meditating, but this was different. I didn't dwell much at all, but just experienced. The amount of stuff I was aware of was also much greater than I can remember. I was hearing and feeling so many things simultaneously, it was amazing if I let myself hang on it.

When I refocused, I was able to concentrate strictly on the feeling of my breathing like I had not yet experienced. I normally can only meditate 10-15 minutes before random thoughts overpower me, but I was able to sustain this state for at least that long with only a handful of random thoughts even appearing. When I tried to pinpoint where my consciousness resided, it was difficult. By that I mean normally when I think, I feel like the thoughts originated from my head, but this was different.

I then decided to try a little analytical meditation, or at least I define what I did as that. I had promised to come up with some ideas for an ad to one of my clients. I had thought it about earlier in the night and come up with nothing substatial. But in the course of a few minutes, I was able to come up with the entire concept and layout. It was quite good in IMO and the customer seemed to love it.

I've only been meditating consistently for several weeks now. Usually 10-15 minutes once but sometimes twice a day. I've tried it sporadically over the last year and half though. But this was by far the strangest experience I've had.

Would anybody care to offer their input and perhaps an interpretation of what this was if anything. I know fairly little about this sort of thing. Just a little of what I've read on the net and one book I bought "How to Meditate" by Kathleen McDonald.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here... [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2829464 - 06/26/04 12:06 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I plan to begin meditating soon as well. What technique do you use?

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2829490 - 06/26/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Congratulations.  You've 'broken through' on your own endogenous chemicals.  :smile:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here... [Re: zorbman]
    #2829543 - 06/26/04 12:29 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I guess it would be considered being mindful of the breath.  The book I have says to concentrate on the feeling at the tip of your nose.  I did that but what really seemed to trigger this experience was how I changed it last night, then duplicated today.

Instead of just concentrating on the feeling of air going back and forth across my nose, I began feeling it travel from the tip of my nose, through the nostrals along the bridge of nose, down the back of my throat (hold your comments to yourselfs  :wink:)and into my lungs.

Then I would remind myself to be aware.  I would realize what all I was hearing, my heart beating, the feeling of the couch. Then back to the breathing.  All of the sudden, it felt like I didn't have to try anymore and instead just let it happen. 

If your nasal pasage to your lungs were a curved tunnel, I tried to breath slowly and gently enough to keep the feeling of moving air along the top, without disturbing the bottom.  I know it sounds odd, but that is what seemed to make the most difference.  Even now, I can shut my eyes for a few seconds and concentrate on my breath and feel the experience repeating. 

Also, I should note, I felt a rising sensation in my upper body and head/face.  It culminated as the feeling of your foot going to sleep but concentrated on my face.

I know many people report strange meditation experiences and it may nothing, I just want to know if someone can provide insight.  Am I on the right track?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here... [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2829879 - 06/26/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

from what i can gather it sounds like you reached samadi, if i spelled that right. This is the state one is supposed to aim for in meditation, assuming your seeking actual enlightenment and not just funky experiences. In this state you just are, and often you will loose your orientation, not be disorientated in the usual sense, but you will have no experience of which way your facing, or feel the bed, cushions, or floor, whatever your resting on. you'll likely feel very alert though. You'll be aware, but your mind will be still. You may have little or distorted perception of time also. When i reach this state i often feel a tingling sensation over my entire body for a moment, and then everything is just different. Unfortunetly for me the onset of this is all kinda distracting and often gets me to thinking, which pulls me out of the state sooner then i'd like. But that is where you wanna be, and enlightenment is supposedly supposed to occur after it, maybe even during it, but usually after. But dont get me wrong, just because you got that far dont expect to much, still may be years before you have an actual kensho, or satori experience, or maybe u've already had one, who knows, i suggest not focusing on either possibility and just meditate. "IT" will come when your ready. (btw im not a zen master or anything, but i have done alot of reading, do practice and have had some intresting experiences, i wont claim to be enlightened, and i wont even claim they were enlightenment moments, but they did fit the descriptions of kensho and satori to a tee, but i suspect whatever they were, they were quite shallow)

Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here... [Re: ZenGecko]
    #2831275 - 06/26/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds like he did not reach samadhi unless he left out something major in his description. He was more likely in a light trance state and possibly touched some higher levels of awareness momentarily. Samadhi is characterized by being in union with God, a state of ecstasy and joy to the highest.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2831317 - 06/26/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That is why your meditating don't analyze just meditate some more.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2831594 - 06/26/04 07:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I was going to respond, but noticed that you wanted only opinions from self-appointed experts...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here... [Re: Swami]
    #2831735 - 06/26/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I should have also opened it up to those experts with actual credentials. 

I don't think this was any sort of metaphysical experience or similarly magical phenomenon, so I don't need debunking.  However, if you have a logical, grounded explanation, I would appreciate your opinion.

Hey, even if it isn't and it's funny I'll listen.

Where did you get your credentials from if you aren't self-appointed anyway?

(Just in case someone actually thought I only wanted people who thought they were experts to respond, I was joshing. :hug:)

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (06/26/04 08:38 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: Swami]
    #2832086 - 06/26/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Good one...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2832110 - 06/26/04 11:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Where did you get your credentials from if you aren't self-appointed anyway?

http://www.metaphysics.com/

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here... [Re: Swami]
    #2832128 - 06/26/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So your on the other side of the fence on this one.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2832138 - 06/26/04 11:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Don't set yourself up quite so nice ... Hey dude that was a dead link!!!!

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (06/26/04 11:52 PM)

OfflineMuppet Happy Birthday!
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: Swami]
    #2832176 - 06/27/04 12:10 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I got one of those internet degrees once:

- I sent them a check
- they sent me some shit
- I didn't do the work
- but I kept making payments
- and eventually they sent me my diploma

yeah...having a PHD is cool  :smirk:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: Muppet]
    #2832179 - 06/27/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I also recieved my seminary training over the net  :grin:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2832182 - 06/27/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

you all may call me Dr Father Muppet  :wink:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2832183 - 06/27/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Go to the Universal Life Church website (just google) they will make you a legal ordained minister in moments, Hell, my dog (brother Leonard we call him) is an ordained priest in my church which has tax exempt status should I choose.

Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2832224 - 06/27/04 12:30 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I might have been kidding about the doctorate (allthough I am actually working towards that as we speak) but I've been ordained for quite some time now...well three or four years anyway (which ain't too bad considering I'm only in my early twenties)

unfortunately though - I haven't really done too much with that one...mostly just counciling an shit (though there have been the occasional sermons at various local churches, and a pagan handfasting ritual)

taking up schooling over the net has always been the best choice for me (just cause of the whole work-at-your-own-pace thing) but what sucks about taking that route is that typically most people won't take you seriously...they think that just because you chose a different route then most people, that you're somehow not as dedicated as they are

it's sad really  :nonono:

but fuckit...I ain't going to school to get a slip of paper anyway, so I really could care less  :shrugs:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2832233 - 06/27/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Oh a fellow minister...how nice brother/sister Muppet. Many blessings on your line.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Self-appointed experts demonstrate your knowledge here.. [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2832236 - 06/27/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You've never played volleyball have you?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies