Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! * 1
    #24180589 -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/physics/lhc-discovers-five-new-particles-at-the-same-time/

Quote:
Physicists working at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) have discovered five new subatomic particles that “have been hiding in plain sight for years,” according to one of the researchers working at the world’s largest and most powerful particle accelerator. By studying their properties, physicists may be able to develop a better understanding of how all matter is bound together.

The particles are varied, high-energy forms of the Omega-c baryon—a subatomic particle made up of three smaller building blocks called quarks. Until now, physicists suspected but had not been able to verify the existence of the different forms of the Omega-c baryon.

While the Omega-c baryon has been more mysterious, scientists know more about other baryons, the most common of which are neutrons and protons. These particles, along with their component quarks, are glued together by the nuclear “strong force,” which keeps the atom in tact.

Quarks come in six “flavors”: up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom. Neutrons and protons contain up and down quarks.

Here’s Pallab Ghosh, reporting for BBC News:

    The Omega-c baryon is in the same family of particles as the neutron and proton, but it can be thought of as a more exotic cousin. It too is made up of quarks but they are called “Charm” and “Strange”, and they are heavier versions of the Up and Down quarks.

By studying how the two “strange” and one “charm” quark are bound together to make up the Omega-c baryon, physicists hope to shed more light on the strong force, which in turn will help us understand why neutrons and protons bind into the nuclei of atoms and not fly apart into space.

CERN, the organization that runs the LHC, notes that the observation of five new particles at the same time is “a rather unique event.” The team has published detailed results on the arXiv.



:awesomenod:

Anyone else feel we are on the verge of a major breakthrough in our understanding of the universe?


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24180595 -

awww yeah :awedance:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #24180615 -

:thumbup:

Your avatar is from the original Fritz the Cat right? I love those movies, especially the second becouse it's so random and trippy :lol:


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #24180619 -

Quote:
baryon



That's right out of star trek


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: musiclover420]
    #24180621 -

yeah, he pops up and does that dance for 15 seconds as a little intermission :lol:

oh really? I always assumed it would be the classic inferior sequel and never watched it, will have to try it out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #24180629 -

Im glad that massive structure is paying off.

Its interesting that this particle is neither a proton or neutron. I wonder what it comprises?

Im assuming thats their question as well, but it likely has something to do with dark matter.

Was this discovery made due to a ramp up of the power used at the LHC or was it just a happy accident?


--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24180632 -

We're living in exciting times.


--------------------
©️

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Lucis]
    #24180635 -

If they could harness these heavy subatomic particles I wonder if theres a potential for denser polymers and synthetic metals? Fuels?

This harnessing is most likely hundreds of years away but im still curious and excited.


--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #24180642 -

Psilosopherr said:
yeah, he pops up and does that dance for 15 seconds as a little intermission :lol:

oh really? I always assumed it would be the classic inferior sequel and never watched it, will have to try it out.



The second one isn't by the same people I believe so it lacks the same level of plot and is more of a psychedelic musical animation which I dig.

But it has some great parts IMO and a groovy soundtrack and classic trippy animation, I love to get super baked and watch it from time to time.

Here is one of the trippy moments:


Expand my awareness Fritz the Cat


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: ModestMouse]
    #24180643 -

I don't really see the point of it all, esp at the cost, but am glad you all are happy about it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: musiclover420]
    #24180651 -

Here is one of my other favorite scenes, this one's a bit longer though:


the nine lives of fritz the cat, work


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Edited by musiclover420 (03/21/17 02:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Deathby69]
    #24180656 -

Deathby69 said:
I don't really see the point of it all, esp at the cost, but am glad you all are happy about it.



Its worth it IMO
The human experience is always involved with seeking. Science is a great example and we should seek to the best of our capabilities. The LHC is just that


--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: ModestMouse] * 1
    #24180886 -

Particles don't even exist :smilingpuppy:


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: twighead] * 2
    #24180892 -

I can collapse wave functions with my powers of observation.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: koods]
    #24181142 -

They are going to rip a hole in space time just you watch :popcorn:


--------------------
High as hell and low as heaven will go.....(this account is automated, all posts related to illegal activities or advice thereof are strictly from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only)- Circa 2011
Ban lotto

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: spirit_shadow]
    #24181257 -

This multi billion dollar atom spinner is really paying off.

Probably the best human piece of technology on this planet.

It all started with the typical dumbass human idea of smashing things into each other.

Smashing things together is interesting all the way from galactic proportion to particle proportion. It a universal law! Smash shit together and get results!


--------------------

Edited by Patlal (03/21/17 06:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: Patlal]
    #24181801 -

Shiva is an appropriate statue for the lawn....
Dont know much about the LHC or the work done there, have not followed lately especially, so have to ask , though in a non conspiratorial way: what is with those demonic looking faces seen on video?  Is all that just bullshit, or is something nefarious being done or happening at cern ?


--------------------
This was an experiment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: koods]
    #24181834 -

koods said:
I can collapse wave functions with my powers of observation.



Subtle ray-slit experiment nod?


--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: LHC discovers 5 new particles at once! [Re: DoneKildatReason]
    #24181842 -

DoneKildatReason said:
Shiva is an appropriate statue for the lawn....
Dont know much about the LHC or the work done there, have not followed lately especially, so have to ask , though in a non conspiratorial way: what is with those demonic looking faces seen on video?  Is all that just bullshit, or is something nefarious being done or happening at cern ?



What demonic faces on video?

This is what a google search pulled up:





Even if those are legit pics it doesn't seem to strange to me. I see face like patterns all over in nature and random artificial stuff.

Our brains associate certain shapes like that and people tend to see what they want to or expect to see.

Earlier I saw 5 birds flying in a funny patter, then they re arranged and flew in what looked like a cross or T then a + sign :lol:

But that doesn't mean the birds are Christians or know addition/ the alphabet :tongue2:


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* . AnonymousRabbit 562 9 03/30/10 12:49 PM
by koraks
* New Element Discovered Stonehenge 807 8 01/16/09 02:39 PM
by Newbie
* LHC Hacked! nardsinurface 1,576 3 09/13/08 01:45 AM
by Entropymancer
* Heaviest Element Recently Discovered. scriptflippin 319 3 01/29/09 11:27 AM
by ShockValue
* Stephen Hawking Speaks Very Candidly About The Lhc sparks8 1,018 14 09/11/08 05:40 PM
by Psilobuds
* Mickey hart+Particle = Hydra!! LooksLikeRain 1,582 17 02/18/05 01:16 AM
by KristiMidocean
* Particle... Edge 1,136 8 07/30/04 03:12 PM
by Edge
* Mickey Hart+Particle=Hydra**Updated With Pics**
( 1 2 3 all )
blissedout 6,181 55 04/28/05 10:28 PM
by blissedout

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
396 topic views. 6 members, 28 guests and 331 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.