Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon Mimosa Hostilis, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
ever done an ethyl alcohol extraction?
    #2358386 - 02/20/04 09:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

im guessing the end product is a powder. how much powder would be equal to a 1 gram mushroom dose (weight and visual size please)? and was it worth the trouble or not?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
Re: ever done an ethyl alcohol extraction? [Re: TRS]
    #2358552 - 02/20/04 10:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The end product would probably be a dirty powder or an oil.

It's not worth the effort.

There's simply no good reason to extract the psilocin/psilocybin (i'm assuming you're talking about mushroom extraction). I mean, if you really wanted to get pure for research purposes (measuring alkaloid content), there's better solvents and better methods than ethanol extraction, and there's already a wealth of data on the subject done by REAL chemists. If you just wanted to consume the mush extract (maybe in pill form) then you could just grind it and put it in gelcaps (go to GNC or some natural wellness store). Extraction (the kind you could do at home) would be a waste.

It makes sense ot extract DMT, for example, because there's no way in fuck you'd want to mix an active dose of mimosa hostilis bark and probably lime, and snort it (is DMT nasally active?) Who cares. The point is, for DMT, you extract it cause in the end you're going to vaporize and inhale it. You can't do that with psilocin/psilocybin. It decomposes.

I mean, if you wanted to put some ground up mushies in hi-proof alcohol, let it sit in the dark for a while, then drink it, that'd be different. Again, you'd probalby lose some potency thanks to the grinding and error and shit, and I don't think I'd enjoy being drunk AND trippin, but you could knock yourself out.

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
    #2358611 - 02/20/04 10:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_journal1.shtml

That erowid link contains some more complete information on better methods of extracting the goodies.

It seems ethanol would be a shitty way to go indeed. Your yield would be much better with a dilute solution of acetic acid (from vinegar), or with dry methanol. If you have questions about either one of these two options, I can probably help you with it.

I also jinned up a more thorough scientific method from rhodium:
Quote:

A representative sample of 2 to 10g of dried mushrooms is ground to a fine powder by mortar and pestle. The powder is mixed with 100 mL of dilute acetic acid in a 250-mL beaker. The pH is readjusted to pH 4 with glacial acetic acid. After standing 1 h, the beaker is placed in a boiling water bath for 8 to 10 min or until the internal temperature of the acid mixture reaches 70?C. The beaker is removed and cooled to room temperature under running water. The acid mixture is separated from the mushroom powder by suction filtration using glass wool. The filtrate is brought to pH 8 with concentrated ammonium hydroxide and quickly extracted with two 50-mL portions of diethyl ether. Gentle mixing instead of shaking should be used to prevent an emulsion. The ether is dried over sodium sulfate, filtered, and evaporated under nitrogen with no applied heat.

Crude psilocin will appear as a greenish residue. Recrystallization from chloroform/heptane (1:3) yields white crystals. The resulting powder can then be submitted to infrared and mass spectral analyses.

http://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/psilocin.extraction.html

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: ever done an ethyl alcohol extraction? [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #2359663 - 02/20/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

In regards to your question I also posted this in a similar trhread her ein this forum.

Please read and understand that this is a stupid thing to attempt. Eat the shrooms and that is the right way to do it.

AND DO NOT USE THESE UNDERGROUND STUPID METHODS TO TRY TO EXTRACT ANYTHING FROM THE SHROOMS. THE EFFORT IS NOT WORTH THE FIN PRODUCT.

First off, no one is making p suynthetic psilocine or psilocybine at any pharmaceutical firms in America. IT is illegal to manufacture. YEs the Heftner Foundation h may have some for their clinical research or they may grow some shrooms and make an extraction. As for an individual, no one has had pharmaceutical psilocine since the early 1960s when sandoz was making two milligram tabli ets and the dosage is 15 to 309 milligrams.

Now to put them into its perspecitve place. A dose of P. cubensis usually reguires from 3-5 grams of dried powedered shrooms. That would be 3000-5000 milligrams of powder.
Out of that amound of powdered material, only approximately 15 to 30 milligrams of the actual chemical is there.

This would be very hard for someone to extract that small amount of chmical to get high. And the comeone would be extremely fast. One would need to actually use an ounce of dried shrooms, but than again, as is the case of cubensis, there would only be five to 8 doses ina dried ounce of cubies. That means you would have 28,000 milligrams of mushroom powder to be equal to 240 milligrams of psilocybine or 5-8 doses.

In the 1980s, Jeremy Bigwood and Jonathan Ott and a few others ate some baeocystine which they synthesized in a lab at Evergreen Community collage. They foound that the baeocystine was practivcally the same effect as the psilocine and psilocybine.

If someone tells you they have cyrstals then they are most likely lying to you.

mj

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #2360391 - 02/20/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just stick to mushrooms man, you dont need anything more potent or concentrated. Trust me.  :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon Mimosa Hostilis, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience