Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Stone, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Indoor Greenhouse Issues
    #2329907 - 02/13/04 11:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I had switched over to an indoor greenhouse type of unit because I felt that it would be easier to access and to switch out casing as needed.

Problem is, it doesn't work.

I have a tray of Perlite with a bubblewand underneath, and I fan several times a day, they get their light from a window in the room (natural light).

I guess a good question would be.. what makes the pins get darker caps and grow VERY SLOWLY if at all.

I don't know what i changed but the caps lightened and they grew ok for about a week, but now the pins again have dark caps and no growth.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLoki
fluid druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Indoor Greenhouse Issues [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2329978 - 02/13/04 11:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Mine has a heated base, used for plant propagation, which is filled with perlite and h20.
There is also a filtered air line pumping through an air stone in a litre jar of h20 h202.

This seems to work fine for me.

You have to keep them out of direct sunlight, as temps can get really high inside if the sun hits them.

Other than that, sorry i cant help.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2329981 - 02/13/04 11:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

with a greenhouse it's better to use a humidifier.... the greenhouse doesnt seal quite as well and needs a higher initial amount of RH...

as for the pins and cap colors, most start off very dark and become lighter as they grow, wait, keep an eye on the humidity and the pins will grow

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Re: Indoor Greenhouse Issues [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2330002 - 02/13/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
with a greenhouse it's better to use a humidifier.... the greenhouse doesnt seal quite as well and needs a higher initial amount of RH...

as for the pins and cap colors, most start off very dark and become lighter as they grow, wait, keep an eye on the humidity and the pins will grow

I am an accomplished grower of cakes, casing slightly less so, and this greenhouse thing I am a complete noob, however the darkness of the pins is not right, I can tell the differnece easily.

I am just not sure what is the issue, I will hook a humidifier up tonight, but i don't think that is the problem.

Oh well, may just have to go back to the old fashioned way (cakes in tupperware)

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2330009 - 02/13/04 11:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well - with shroomies you've got 4 main things to keep in mind:

- temp
- air exchange
- humidity
- light

Light is probably covered since a few milliseconds will do.

Humidity - hydrometer time. I got a great digital unit with remote sensor for $50 from Amazon - it's very accurate and while I don't need it much now that my setup is, well, setup, it was very valuable when I was first getting started with it. Humidifier is probably the way to go to get the highish humidity that even casings like.

Air exchange is very important and way too often overlooked. In a space as big as a mini-greenhouse you have to have a real active form of air exchange. I don't know if fanning will keep the air as active as it will need to be... Again, I think the idea of a humidifier is a good idea - try to get it to draw air through a filter from the outside of the greenhouse.

Finally - temp. A good digital unit like the one I mentioned will let you record max and min temp over a time period - make sure you're not deviating too much from the mid 70s.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Re: Indoor Greenhouse Issues [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2330370 - 02/13/04 12:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well for 1 thing I am deviating from the mid-70's as far as temps. I don't really have any clue what I could do for that. I live up north, the air temp changes, and the air temp in your house does too. I do what I can but I am limited by nature there.

I thought casing prefered NOT to have 100% Rh? I had 100% Rh in there for awhile, but they didn't pin until I reduced it.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Stone, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation