Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Astrofan]
    #23285590 -

Hmm I design and build trusses. I think a robot could easily be built to do what I do and way preciser than me. There's a lot of the time were basically like fuck it. We're a 16th off close enough.

I could definitely see it taking out human error and being fully automated. Just input the sheets we get from the engineer into a computer and it builds it. So technically we would only need the guy who is the engineer to input the data. :shrug:


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Enjoywho]
    #23285600 -

And you need people to operate the machine.


--------------------
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Enjoywho]
    #23285609 -

Enjoywho said:
Hmm I design and build trusses. I think a robot could easily be built to do what I do and way preciser than me. There's a lot of the time were basically like fuck it. We're a 16th off close enough.

I could definitely see it taking out human error and being fully automated. Just input the sheets we get from the engineer into a computer and it builds it. So technically we would only need the guy who is the engineer to input the data. :shrug:



Oh absolutely a robot could build trusses.  But tht's not what these ding dongs are talking about.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Repertoire89]
    #23285619 -

Repertoire89 said:
Bodhi of Ankou said:
I cant wrap my head around why most peoples response to minimum wage increases is essentially them wishing death on the workers. Its not as if its not feasible either. Nordic countries pull it off quite well.



Seriously, it's working out real well in Seattle. $15hr is a bare min reasonable wage in  the US



The problem with that is the cost of everything in Seattle is going way the fuck up. I was living in Seattle and paying 600$ a month just to rent a 12x12 room in somebody else's house. You feel like your making more but you really aren't at all. As everything is that much more expensive. A profitable business does not cut profit. Ever.

Raise the cost they have to pay the consumer takes the hit.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23285630 -

zappaisgod said:
Prisoner#1 said:
zappaisgod said:
You're probably right.  Hardly any carpenters know what one of them is since it is almost never used.




kind of like a level and a plumb bob


They all know what those are.



but do they use them, or the square for that matter?

I see 16 in joists very rarely, most commonly I see 24 but I do see 19.2 on occasion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23285633 -

zappaisgod said:
Enjoywho said:
Hmm I design and build trusses. I think a robot could easily be built to do what I do and way preciser than me. There's a lot of the time were basically like fuck it. We're a 16th off close enough.

I could definitely see it taking out human error and being fully automated. Just input the sheets we get from the engineer into a computer and it builds it. So technically we would only need the guy who is the engineer to input the data. :shrug:



Oh absolutely a robot could build trusses.  But tht's not what these ding dongs are talking about.




No doubt. I know it. There's been times we've wasted 30 fucking minutes puzzled and doing math trying to figure out what in the fuck is wrong. This can't be fucking right something is off but what is it. Once you get it jigged than your basically OK.

The people that cut the chords and webs. Easily replaceable by machines and they won't fuck shit up all the time. Many times its the fucking board cut improperly that wastes so much of our time. The angles wrong. The length. Etc.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Enjoywho]
    #23285645 -

Enjoywho said:
Repertoire89 said:
Bodhi of Ankou said:
I cant wrap my head around why most peoples response to minimum wage increases is essentially them wishing death on the workers. Its not as if its not feasible either. Nordic countries pull it off quite well.



Seriously, it's working out real well in Seattle. $15hr is a bare min reasonable wage in  the US



The problem with that is the cost of everything in Seattle is going way the fuck up. I was living in Seattle and paying 600$ a month just to rent a 12x12 room in somebody else's house. You feel like your making more but you really aren't at all. As everything is that much more expensive. A profitable business does not cut profit. Ever.

Raise the cost they have to pay the consumer takes the hit.



http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/03/16/we-are-seeing-the-effects-of-seattles-15-an-hour-minimum-wage/#1fa73a7715aa
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/09/405248917/seattle-restaurants-scramble-to-pay-a-higher-minimum-wage
http://www.seattlemag.com/article/why-are-so-many-seattle-restaurants-closing-lately

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #23285650 -

Exactly. Fucking cut and run its no longer profitable.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #23285660 -

Damn this thread has been straight hijacked by construction debate for the past half a dozen pages at least... :lol:

Hell let's pretend the robots won't be able to do the construction jobs, how many jobs do you think there will be left in that industry? A million at best?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #23285663 -

Prisoner#1 said:
zappaisgod said:
Prisoner#1 said:
zappaisgod said:
You're probably right.  Hardly any carpenters know what one of them is since it is almost never used.




kind of like a level and a plumb bob


They all know what those are.



but do they use them, or the square for that matter?

I see 16 in joists very rarely, most commonly I see 24 but I do see 19.2 on occasion


Almost everything here is 16.  24 rarely.  19.2 never.  There are guys who know what a framing square is for.  None of them know what the little numbers in the middle are for, though.  I don't use them anyway.  I have one of these.  http://www.amazon.com/Calculated-Industries-4065-Construction-Calculator/dp/B0007Q3RGQ ; Been using one for over 20 years


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Fools Crow]
    #23285679 -

Well mine is straight just assembly. The only thought it takes is jigging it. Once that's done measure the tail and press. Easy. Takes about 30 minutes on a standard house to jig. Than all you really have to do is make sure the tail if your within a 16th of an inch your fine. Fuck it press it.

The biggest time waster is fucking pressing a plate wrong. Than you gotta pull that shit which is a fucking bitch and redo it. Easily a machine can do that precisely every single time. There's a lot of times where human error is actually fucking with the very stability of the structure. Our engineer told us if it's so much off the whole roof will be weak.

Collapse eventually. Which is not safe for anybody in said building.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Fools Crow]
    #23285705 -

Fools Crow said:
Damn this thread has been straight hijacked by construction debate for the past half a dozen pages at least... :lol:

Hell let's pretend the robots won't be able to do the construction jobs, how many jobs do you think there will be left in that industry? A million at best?



Hard to say. A lot of it takes more than just being precise. A Mason did my friends parents wall with stone and it looks really fucking good. Just a family friend of there's and all the tones are matching. I said Holy fuck he did a fantastic job on this.

For things like what I do easily automated. But stuff like that takes creativity and human thought.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Enjoywho]
    #23285712 -

I think were more likely to see like those hybrid assisted limb things first in the construction field compared to like 3d printing houses n shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Enjoywho]
    #23285714 -

Yep every time!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #23285723 -

Fuck I'd take it. I only weigh 140 lbs myself I can't lift as much as others. I'm by no means weak but trying to carry a 300 lb truss between 2 people while trying to balance is fucking hard.

They just tell me what can you handle if it's too much just say something it really isn't a big deal. Just don't drop it unexpectedly as it'll fuck you up. Had it happen to me many times. There have been a couple times that my hands are sweaty as fuck in my work gloves. Hold on I need to readjust. We'd rather know than have somebody drop shit on us. Which is not fun for either party.

I dont even wear my gloves for carrying anymore. My hands sweat like no other in those fucking things. With my hands I can get a good grip. It's my least favorite part of the job. Carrying the most awkwardly spaced out weight that's also heavy as fuck.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Edited by Enjoywho (05/29/16 07:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23285730 -

zappaisgod said:
By the way, Google never heard of Joseph's Manger.  Shouldn't you be getting ready for another fearful night of squirrell rustlings?



He's pretending to be Jesus; it's fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: dixienormous]
    #23285746 -

dixienormous said:
zappaisgod said:
By the way, Google never heard of Joseph's Manger.  Shouldn't you be getting ready for another fearful night of squirrell rustlings?



He's pretending to be Jesus; it's fiction.



:canthelpbutlaugh:

At least someone got the joke! Pris and Zap are so far up their own ass they thought I was being serious. :lol:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Fools Crow]
    #23285829 -

It was not an unbelievable name for a company and the manger wasn't Joseph's.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #23285842 -

:puppydogeyes:

Never can just admit you're not perfect can you Zap? :tongue2:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying robots would be cheaper than hiring at $15 an hour – former McDonald’s CEO [Re: Fools Crow]
    #23285848 -

That I didn't see a botched joke?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Who wants to be a robot?
( 1 2 3 all )
BigNerd 4,291 51 11/21/03 05:44 PM
by Xibalba
* Advances in Japanese Robots... PapaverS 1,554 9 07/27/04 03:34 PM
by YouEnjoyMyself
* 17 to 15
( 1 2 all )
YouEnjoyMyself 1,894 24 05/10/04 07:57 PM
by YouEnjoyMyself
* 72 hours till Coventry
( 1 2 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 2,705 37 08/10/04 11:59 AM
by Gr8fulJ420
* I Just Had A One Hour Conversation McKennaFan200 443 7 12/07/04 11:29 PM
by notapillow
* Parallel Robot? theocean06 725 8 09/20/04 08:11 PM
by afoaf
* "I'm a robot!" FreeLaws1_6 621 6 02/02/05 07:21 PM
by sui
* Honda Robots YouEnjoyMyself 532 4 02/18/05 09:16 PM
by LethalX5

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,559 topic views. 2 members, 34 guests and 242 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.