Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
I dont know what to do
    #2325877 - 02/12/04 06:10 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ugh.
I dont even feel like thinking about this.

I think I am going to die soon.
See my lungs are failing, I cant breath all the time, and I hear something in my left lung.

I feel strangely dissasociated from this ..I have been going about my normal routine, of course I notice it all the time though.

Any ideas?
I am a healthy(or so I thought) 21 year old man.
I was diagnosed with asthma at 9, but it hasnt bothered me that much.
I also smoked for ten years, recently quitting

I would like to see the doctor, but I dont have health insurance. And I am already paying off a 1500$ medical bill..
I havent said anything till anyone until now, but the truth is I am terrified.
Its my lungs ya know..ya dont hear about people living through this stuff, I dont feel like typing anymore.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: I dont know what to do [Re: shaggy101]
    #2325893 - 02/12/04 06:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

First thing to do is to see a doctor.Maybe this is a non-life threatening illness.There must be some free clinics around,etc. If not,I doubt that a doctor visit would set you back more than $40.00 and they'll usually bill you.
The not knowing would drive me crazy,but no need to assume the worst.See a doctor!

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: I dont know what to do [Re: Pinhead]
    #2325975 - 02/12/04 08:56 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My friends lungs are a bit screwed from smoking shitty soapbar for a couple of years, at the time he said it felt like his lungs were collapsing and stuff like that. The doctors don't know what is up but he just can't smoke anything anymore, he's fine as long as he doesn't smoke and when he does it just hurts.

OfflineCrazyJulio
journeyman
    #2326788 - 02/12/04 02:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You're worried about your bill and dying? Ask yourself if you'd rather die from a possibly preventable health problem or pay a bigger bill.

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Re: I dont know what to do [Re: Pinhead]
    #2333973 - 02/14/04 12:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Actually I didnt even think about a free clinic, thanks man.
I guess it is pretty stupid to not go to the doctor right away.. I will go Monday.

Part of what sucks is I know all they will say is it could be this,this,this,this etc.. and reccomend alot of expensive tests.

Hey Ooook whats Soapbar?

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
    #2334351 - 02/14/04 03:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Soapbar is nasty nasty nasty NASTY hash

http://www.ccguide.org.uk/badsoap.html

Only really an issue in the the UK and I think spain

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2339154 - 02/15/04 11:56 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

go to the doc and once they tell you what they think it could be, tell them what's up - tell them "hey I'm definitely short on cash right now and I don't have any insurance.... I need some advice? What would you do in my position without that much money?"

Oftentimes the docs can help you out a bit more if they realize you're struggling.

like you did with us, ask everybody you see about this for advice, recommendations, suggestions, HELP :smile: - when it comes to your health, people are willing to help you out a bit - Good luck and let us know how things go man!!! :laugh:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

#2343689 - 02/17/04 12:17 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Shaggy,if you can't get any help from a free clinic for some reason and need a last resort just go to the local army recruting center, or whatever they call it these days, and act like you want to join the military. They give you a full physical with lung x-ray,bloos tests, the works before you have to sign the final papers that officially make you their slave(you don't have to sign the final papers, so don't). If you are sick they will tell you what it is. You might have something that can be cured with some medicine ya know.
And tell them you want to be a soldier or cook. Some "jobs" they offer ya require a background check, cook should'nt.

--------------------

http://www.sacredshrooms.org

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

#2361599 - 02/21/04 12:34 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-1008763,00.html

Lung cancer tumors wiped out by vaccine. Hope for ya shaggy! :thumbup:
Quote:

Lung and kidney cancer vaccine breakthrough
By Nigel Hawkes, Health Editor

A vaccine designed to treat lung cancer wiped out the disease in a few patients and slowed its spread in others, new results show.

The study is the second in a week to show benefits from cancer vaccines. In the other, survival after surgery for kidney cancer was enhanced by the use of a vaccine.

Vaccine studies are a growing area of cancer therapy. Unlike most vaccines, which seek to prevent disease, cancer vaccines are used as treatments. The idea is to boost the body's own ability to eliminate tumours.

In the lung cancer trial, published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 43 patients with non small-cell lung cancer were injected in the arm and leg every two weeks for three months with a vaccine that included cells from their own tumours.

The cells were modified to contain a gene, CM-CSF, which alters the surface of the cells to make them more recognisable to the immune system.

The vaccine was developed by researchers at Baylor University Medical Centre in Dallas, and the research was funded in part by CellGenesis, a pharmaceutical company that hopes to produce the vaccine.

Three patients with advanced stage cancer had no recurrence of the disease for three years after the treatment. In another 30 patients with advanced disease, the tumours grew less quickly, but in ten patients with early-stage disease there was no effect.

"The results are very promising for patients with non-small cell lung cancer, which is frequently resistant to chemotherapy," said Dr John Nemunaitis, a Baylor oncologist who led the study.

Non-small cell lung cancer is a leading cause of death, the commonest form of cancer caused by smoking. It is often difficult to treat, and patients normally die within eight to nine months.

Chemotherapy is successful in about 3 per cent of patients. "The most exciting thing is in those who responded to the vaccine, it was complete," Dr Nemunaitis said. "It's given us a lot of encouragement."

Dr Richard Sullivan, Head of Clinical Programmes for UK Cancer Research agreed that the results were encouraging.

"Lung cancer treatment is a big problem," he said. "It's an aggressive cancer that takes years to come up.

"Chemotherapy is very toxic and to kill the cancer, you often end up killing the person.

"Getting the immune system to recognise the lung cancer is an exciting prospect. It is very promising, there's no doubt about it.

"This is a small trial, it needs to be replicated in a large study before we can be sure that it will be beneficial to everybody and is not just a fluke.

"You can get results by chance which have nothing to do with the reality."

A second success with a cancer vaccine is reported in this week's Lancet. A team led by Dieter Jocham from the University of Lubeck Medical School treated 379 patients from 55 medical centres in Germany for kidney cancer.

The results show that five years after their operations, 77 per cent of those given the vaccine, and 68 per cent of the control group are still alive. The vaccine was well-tolerated, with only a few adverse reactions. Although the improvement is modest, it is encouraging.

Mayer Fishman and Scott Antonia from H Lee Moffitt Cancer Centre and Research Institute in Tampa, Florida, say in an accompanying editorial that it is an 'immunological breakthrough'.

In future, they say, such additional treatments may become a routine part of kidney cancer treatment and contribute to increasing survival from the disease.

--------------------

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

Re: I dont know what to do [Re: mabus]
    #2361619 - 02/21/04 12:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

whoa, that sa really good idea mabus. i might "join the army" every year, just for a check-up :smile2:

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
    #2361647 - 02/21/04 12:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

you were diagnosed with asthma at the age of 9...but you smoke and supposidly just quit now at age 21?
your bad....
....but i do feel for your predicament, so, if i were you i wouldnt touch another smoke(weed too) and i would see a dr. your life and health is worth more than any amount of money or debt. the doc will probably tell you to start exercising little by little. eating healthy foods and leading a healthy lifestyle is where i would start, hey, good luck

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

Re: I dont know what to do [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2361839 - 02/21/04 01:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

whoa, that sa really good idea mabus. i might "join the army" every year, just for a check-up 

Don't forget ya can "join the navy" or "join the coast guard" or "join the marines" if you think you need a second opinion. :grin:

--------------------

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Re: I dont know what to do [Re: mabus]
    #2376932 - 02/25/04 08:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the support guys! :heart:
Mabus Thats pretty exciting stuff ya linked there, although I very much hope I dont have cancer.

This past week has been pretty tough.  I am actually having to deal with the reality of this, which sucks.
I have been on a preventive asthma treatment called serevent, its a nasty powder that you inhale :razz:
I dont want to be to optimistic but it does seem to help alittle.. which leads me to believe I may be getting a more severe form of asthma(the fact that its kicking in after I quit smoking boggles my mind though)

I also went to the college for a free echocardiogram, which went well..pretty much ruling out a heart condition.
This is all scaring me, but also making me see things different, and I want to say to people go out and be OK..ya know?
you can beat mental health promblems, trust me I know..its hard but you can.
You can overcome emotional wounds, you just have to hold on to love..you will live again.
whatever it is..
health is a hard one, but I am definately not going to give up.
I am going to the freeclinic tommorow
peace and shrooyness

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #2377012 - 02/25/04 09:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Good luck with that. I think quitting smoking was a very wise decision and applaud you for that. :laugh: And you know what? I'm willing to bet that as the months pass, you'll notice that your lungs will clear up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being