Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
A New Laptop?!!!
    #22659613 -

Hey guys, I thought I'd come here to seek advice or help for choosing a new laptop.

I currently own a Gateway Laptop NV5929u Intel Core i5 430M (2.26 GHz) 4 GB Memory 320 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 15.6"... I have owned this laptop for 5 years now and it is just too full of shit to operate efficiently now.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck. One thing worth mentioning is that I run Reason 5 (a music software program) to produce music on my laptop, so I need a pretty powerful machine!

I was looking at this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?ref=3181_ImageClicks&oc=dncwt5149h&model_id=xps-13-9350-laptop

...and curious as to what you guys think about this Dell XPS13? Any others you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance!


--------------------
"a note for asses: what is very convincing, is not necessarily true - it is merely convincing"

primus------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------mama didn't raise no fool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22659625 -

Dude your getting a dell

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888] * 1
    #22659664 -

unsui888 said:
Hey guys, I thought I'd come here to seek advice or help for choosing a new laptop.

I currently own a Gateway Laptop NV5929u Intel Core i5 430M (2.26 GHz) 4 GB Memory 320 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 15.6"... I have owned this laptop for 5 years now and it is just too full of shit to operate efficiently now.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck. One thing worth mentioning is that I run Reason 5 (a music software program) to produce music on my laptop, so I need a pretty powerful machine!

I was looking at this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?ref=3181_ImageClicks&oc=dncwt5149h&model_id=xps-13-9350-laptop

...and curious as to what you guys think about this Dell XPS13? Any others you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance!



I'm not here to give laptop advice

That said I would like to see you post twice more so you can reach a thousand posts finally after seven years



a little something to get you motivated


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: Nifflerz]
    #22659678 -

@pizzeria: Are Dells not good? I know nothing of laptops...

@Niffla: Haha! I actually have way more than that if you combined my last user account with this one....


--------------------
"a note for asses: what is very convincing, is not necessarily true - it is merely convincing"

primus------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------mama didn't raise no fool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22659718 -

What are your intents and purposes...alienware for gaming. Is price an issue .IBM if u plan on operating a business. Dell will suffice for school

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888] * 1
    #22659731 -

Why not just wipe your hard-drive by installing a new OS or something, then increase your RAM from 4gb to at-least 8gb.

Seems you got a decent processor and hard-drive but the RAM is a bit lacking.

Best bang for your buck would be an upgrade to your current machine for ~$40.

The difference in performance between 4gb ram and 8gb ram is night and day, you will immediately notice your computer is A LOT faster..

if you need a better graphics card for games, you can get a decent one for around $150 and play most new games on at-least medium to high settings.


--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: hTx]
    #22660858 -

Like I said, I will use it primarily for research, web surfing, and music production, and to watch movies/netflix.

How would I upgrade the RAM? I have 140MB free of 286GB left on my computer...


--------------------
"a note for asses: what is very convincing, is not necessarily true - it is merely convincing"

primus------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------mama didn't raise no fool

Edited by unsui888 (12/15/15 09:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22660944 -

You would have to install it yourself or have someone do it for you.

Its not really to difficult, I have upgraded a few of my laptops with few problems using youtube videos.


--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22661261 -

look at refurbished laptops on newegg and tigerdirect


--------------------



[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #22681546 -



--------------------
"a note for asses: what is very convincing, is not necessarily true - it is merely convincing"

primus------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------mama didn't raise no fool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22682617 -

unsui888 said:
Which do you think would be best?



Upgrading your current laptop, your processor is still competitive with today's models and unless you plan on heavy gaming, I think you'll just be wasting your money.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22683229 -

Quote:
I have owned this laptop for 5 years now and it is just too full of shit to operate efficiently now.



Your laptop is plenty powerful to run music software.

What you need to do is do a full-reset on your Hard drive. Sounds like you slowed it down with a bunch of crapware and whatnot.

Simply wiping the hard drive clean and installing a fresh new copy of your OS (whatever it may be) will make your laptop run new again. I did that (my HDD died) and it works great now!

Make sure to transfer all your important files to an External HDD before resetting your OS.

After installing your new copy of your OS, transfer clean (no virus files) files back to your laptop. Try to install only essential programs so you dont "gum up" your HDD again.


--------------------
"A single lifetime in this density can accomplish a refinement of Will that might take far longer in a realm where the truth is always visible" - Zii, Confederation of Planets, GFL Station.

"You will then have national and global contact around 2026." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS (PDF Download) - 312 pages! | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:Canned Computer Duster SAB Tek 👨‍🔬 | Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits | R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #22683266 -

Sounds like you might not be the most tech person in the world but if you can figure out installing a new OS I would also recommend finding a "shared" version of windows 7 that has been slimmed down by a reliable hack team.  Look around on the P-bay and you should be able to find plenty of reliable versions.  If you're running music software, like others have said, just bump your ram up to 8gb and you should be fine.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22683672 -

unsui888 said:
Like I said, I will use it primarily for research, web surfing, and music production, and to watch movies/netflix.

How would I upgrade the RAM? I have 140MB free of 286GB left on my computer...





that's disk space, not memory (RAM)

it REALLY  doesn't sound like you need a new laptop.  get an external hard-drive, store any non-essential or regularly-used files on the external.  the RAM usually has a slide-cover or screw-cover protecting it.  find the cover, open, flip the ram sticks up, and replace.  RAM must match.  Having a 2gb and 4gb stick of ram working together is not the best idea.  Always try to go with the same amount of memory and make sure it has the same rating (MHz) and pin-count


were you sui?


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: A New Laptop?!!! [Re: unsui888]
    #22683694 -

I've had 2 Dells and they preformed well and lasted quite a while. Of course, they were desktops and were the Optiplex variety (business computers built extra-sturdy) so YMMV.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Laptop Customization the spiral 525 5 09/29/10 11:09 PM
by Shroomism
* Know anything about upgrading laptop grafix cards? *DELETED* SubGen1us 411 3 01/30/11 12:45 PM
by Shroomism
* what do you think about this laptop?
( 1 2 all )
fissionchips 3,002 33 05/11/10 07:20 PM
by Tedwilto
* Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Gumby 3,909 69 12/22/10 04:27 PM
by frith
* Looking at laptops ShroomismM 1,969 17 12/15/04 07:54 PM
by djfrog
* Shall I get a laptop or a desktop pc? downforpot 1,113 9 03/13/06 02:51 AM
by downforpot
* how to stop a laptop from overheating?
( 1 2 all )
kintos 3,828 31 04/07/10 06:45 AM
by DeathCompany
* My Stupid Laptop
( 1 2 all )
CherryBomM 2,135 29 07/08/05 10:16 PM
by CherryBom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
490 topic views. 11 members, 16 guests and 100 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.