Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help.
    #13663500 - 12/20/10 11:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So my fucking netbook hard drive decided to die 3 days before finals (that drive had ALL my notes on it). I was able to salvage my files via BartPE, but that drive ate shit and no computer will recognize it now. So I ordered a new "top of the line" WD hard drive.

Problem is the netbook doesn't have a CD drive, so I am stuck following tutorials on the intarwebz about how to install XP from a flash drive. I've downloaded 3 XP images and extracted them then copied them to the flash drive per the tutorial I found. On the first two tries I found out I was fucking up because of the archaic program that copies the Windows image to the flash drive(program hates periods and dashes in directory names). Once I figure it out, try one failed with a pirated version of XP (I have a legit serial on the bottom of the puter, but can't find a version of XP that will accept it).

I'm on try two now and the fucking thing tells me that the brand new drive I have is corrupt, so this version of XP is a piece of shit too. I'm currently formatting the drive on my desktop via SATA to USB cable, so I know the drive is good and that that version of XP is shit.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm so frustrated now that I'm just ranting like a drunk idiot. I'm at wit's end. I've put a good 15-20 hours into trying to fix this stupid piece of shit and I'm making very little progress.

If you can, please HALP!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Gumby]
    #13663507 - 12/20/10 11:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

By the way, if any of you motherfuckers tell me to install Linux, I'll stab you in the heart. I want to install Windows, fuck off.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Loc: No fuckin tellin
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Gumby]
    #13663516 - 12/20/10 11:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Think of penguins.

--------------------
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so fuck em.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13663523 - 12/20/10 11:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
By the way, if any of you motherfuckers tell me to install Linux, I'll stab you in the heart. I want to install Windows, fuck off.

My bad.

maybe try another version of windows, like xp via the flash drive. just the most basic of basic shit and then use that to pull off a network install of your choice version.

--------------------
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so fuck em.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Fungal-one]
    #13663544 - 12/20/10 11:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My bad, again. So you copy the iso on the thumb drive, hit delete to enter setup and choose to boot from thumb drive and it wont work?

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Fungal-one]
    #13663555 - 12/20/10 11:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Also, you cant just pair up a copy of XP with your legit number, pawpaw.

--------------------

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: FL
    #13663596 - 12/20/10 11:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

No, Fungal, you can't. It has to be the same service pack and patch version, and it's highly unlikely that OEM serial would work with anything else. It's not hard to install Windows, Gumby, just be sure to get all the drivers you need before hand; you can figure it out, but if you need help, I'm here.

You can also stab me for suggesting this, but Linux Mint and Ubuntu can be installed from within Windows and uninstalled just as easily. You should try it at least once before you decide to blanket-hate it.

--------------------
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong”  -Voltaire

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: FuzedBox]
    #13663606 - 12/20/10 11:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

FuzedBox said:
You should try it at least once before you decide to blanket-hate it.

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13663612 - 12/20/10 11:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Gumby, take your high rollin, rich ass to the parts store and spend $25 on a used external cd drive.

--------------------

OfflineLicHmicrO
Simply Scrumptious
Male

Loc: Ky, USA
    #13663613 - 12/20/10 11:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

one of my friends had a similar problem, he had to convert the iso to a bootable image

im not sure what program he used to convert the iso though

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #13663616 - 12/20/10 11:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Windows 7....

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #13663624 - 12/20/10 11:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I forgot bout the iso being bootable. I bet that's his problem. Besides his breath I mean.

--------------------

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: LicHmicrO]
    #13663625 - 12/21/10 12:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well, the ISO technically is  a bootable image. His hard part will be getting it bootable from a USB device; Microsoft specifically made it a real bitch to do.

As for a good program to work with images, I find PowerISO to be the most compatible and efficient.

--------------------
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong”  -Voltaire

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: FuzedBox]
    #13663631 - 12/21/10 12:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

FuzedBox said:
Well, the ISO technically is  a bootable image. His hard part will be getting it bootable from a USB device; Microsoft specifically made it a real bitch to do.

Not entirely true. Ive burned isos before that would not boot because they didnt have their little bootable bit turned on.

--------------------

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13663645 - 12/21/10 12:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It all boils down to what the image was of, and yeah, there are some cases where people manage to fuck up or remove the bootstrap, usually when trying to make a special slipstream, which is exactly what Gumby is going to need to do. Gonna have to read up on this since I have always avoided the hassle of installing from USB by buying an external drive for cases where I needed to help someone with a netbook.

Gumby, what OS are you planning to install? Please be as specific as possible with the release version.

--------------------

Edited by FuzedBox (12/21/10 12:07 AM)

OfflineWhiteCobra
Stranger
    #13663656 - 12/21/10 12:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

just install linux..problem solved nigga

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: WhiteCobra]
    #13663663 - 12/21/10 12:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That is exactly why people hate those that use Unix-like OSs. I agree that he should try Linux (or preferably, FreeBSD), but you have to admit it just isn't practical for everyone and they don't appreciate elitism. Dual booting would be a better suggestion.

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13663670 - 12/21/10 12:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I never liked Free-BSD. Slackware FTW!

--------------------

InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

#13663679 - 12/21/10 12:16 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

FuzedBox said:
No, Fungal, you can't. It has to be the same service pack and patch version, and it's highly unlikely that OEM serial would work with anything else. It's not hard to install Windows, Gumby, just be sure to get all the drivers you need before hand; you can figure it out, but if you need help, I'm here.

You can also stab me for suggesting this, but Linux Mint and Ubuntu can be installed from within Windows and uninstalled just as easily. You should try it at least once before you decide to blanket-hate it.

I've reinstalled windows multiple times on different computers from a single disk and never had any problems.  All my PC's had windows, but I didn't use a different disk on each PC to reinstall.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13663683 - 12/21/10 12:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was saying, and I think he was too, that the software and number must be matched. The computer fucking matters not.

--------------------

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13663684 - 12/21/10 12:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Slackware is a timeless gem, but I still stand by FreeBSD due to the fact that the ports tree is awesome and it has a damn near flawless linux compatibility layer. Only downside is FreeBSD is a real bitch of an OS to install and configure just right.

--------------------

InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

#13663688 - 12/21/10 12:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What number?  I've never had to enter a serial number when I've reinstalled windows XP even on a formatted drive.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13663689 - 12/21/10 12:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

FuzedBox said:
Slackware is a timeless gem,

FreeBSD is a real bitch of an OS to install and configure just right.

--------------------

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: CycleThoughts]
    #13663691 - 12/21/10 12:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CycleThoughts said:
What number?  I've never had to enter a serial number when I've reinstalled windows XP even on a formatted drive.

--------------------

InvisibleAlienscience
 User Gallery

#13663737 - 12/21/10 12:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Head over to a computer store ASAP.  At the very least, they will be able to extract the files that you are misssing.  Which I believe is the problem, at least that's what I got from reading your post.  You can just go to the library and use your files at a public computer.  Your exams are what need to come first in this situation.  If you bought the new HD at Best Buy or some place like that, you can take it back and pay like $20 for them to install windows XP on it need be.  But, your ISO problem seems to be really weird.  I think you need to boot your computer from the thumb drive via a recovery service.  The HD should have that option built in.  Whether or not the HD will read the ISO for booting is unknown to me.  Don't fret, it's not too hard.  I still think your best bet the Geek squad at Best buy.  Don't let them know your using a warez iso though...I don't think they will help.  As for Windows not having an option to restore your XP status to your new HD, they will get that billion dollar deduction in the mail in the form of copyright infringment.  Just keep your school goals on your mind.

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Alienscience]
    #13663763 - 12/21/10 12:43 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alienscience said:
Head over to a computer store ASAP.  At the very least, they will be able to extract the files that you are misssing.  Which I believe is the problem, at least that's what I got from reading your post.  You can just go to the library and use your files at a public computer.  Your exams are what need to come first in this situation.  If you bought the new HD at Best Buy or some place like that, you can take it back and pay like $20 for them to install windows XP on it need be.  But, your ISO problem seems to be really weird.  I think you need to boot your computer from the thumb drive via a recovery service.  The HD should have that option built in.  Whether or not the HD will read the ISO for booting is unknown to me.  Don't fret, it's not too hard.  I still think your best bet the Geek squad at Best buy.  Don't let them know your using a warez iso though...I don't think they will help.  As for Windows not having an option to restore your XP status to your new HD, they will get that billion dollar deduction in the mail in the form of copyright infringment.  Just keep your school goals on your mind.

If his HDD really is dead, it'd be cheaper to build a high-end rig than send it off to a lab that may or may not be able to get all, if any of his data back; have you ever seen what's involved in the process or how much that shit costs? Also, don't recommend services that charge for things anyone can do, and I highly doubt they'd help him install it unless he had an authentic disc. I highly doubt they'd even fuck with a slipstream on USB, even if it came from a legit disc. Your questioning of the boot priority was good, though; Gumby should check his boot order to make sure USB is first.

--------------------

Edited by FuzedBox (12/21/10 12:44 AM)

InvisibleCycleThoughts
Researcher
Male

#13663861 - 12/21/10 01:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, boot order is likely the problem.  It's gonna try the hard drive first.  You need to disable or change the order. 

Very true about HDD recovery services.  I've heard quotes nearly as high as $2,000.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#13665668 - 12/21/10 12:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, to clarify, I was able to save my files before the old hard drive took it's final shit.

I've been trying to install several different versions of XP. Boot order is not the problem, that's kindergarten shit, I wouldn't make that mistake. I'm able to extract the ISOs to a flash drive and make them bootable, but something always goes wrong during the install. I'm wondering if this tutorial I'm following is just a piece of shit of if I'm really that unlucky when it comes to finding a complete bootable flash drive from a pirated iso. Here's what I've been using to make bootable flash drives:

http://www.ocia.net/articles/xpflashdrive/page1.shtml

If anyone out there has retail copy of XP that they could make an ISO of and send it to me, that would be awesome. At least that way I'll know that no one has fucked with it. Once I get XP installed I plan on upgrading to a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise that I got from work. Only problem is that it's only an upgrade image so I can't do a full install(I don't think?).

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

Loc: NE
    #13665752 - 12/21/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#13665757 - 12/21/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Ok, to clarify, I was able to save my files before the old hard drive took it's final shit.

I've been trying to install several different versions of XP. Boot order is not the problem, that's kindergarten shit, I wouldn't make that mistake. I'm able to extract the ISOs to a flash drive and make them bootable, but something always goes wrong during the install. I'm wondering if this tutorial I'm following is just a piece of shit of if I'm really that unlucky when it comes to finding a complete bootable flash drive from a pirated iso. Here's what I've been using to make bootable flash drives:

http://www.ocia.net/articles/xpflashdrive/page1.shtml

If anyone out there has retail copy of XP that they could make an ISO of and send it to me, that would be awesome. At least that way I'll know that no one has fucked with it. Once I get XP installed I plan on upgrading to a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise that I got from work. Only problem is that it's only an upgrade image so I can't do a full install(I don't think?).

Why don't you just DL a cracked version of Win7?

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Caine]
    #13665841 - 12/21/10 01:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think he wants to torrent the damn thing because it may be fux0red.

--------------------

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

#13665850 - 12/21/10 01:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fungal-one said:

'Spose so, the only reason I linked there is because the uploader had the highest possible trusted tag that you can get.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #13665852 - 12/21/10 01:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Cuz I have a legit version of Win 7, why use a cracked version?

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#13665856 - 12/21/10 01:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fungal-one said:

Nah, I've been torrenting all these shitty broken versions of XP, why not try another one?

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13665857 - 12/21/10 01:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If it's an upgrade image, could you simply mount it in a virtual drive, or do you think it would have to do some things outside Windows on reboot?

Edit: Oh, oh, I forgot to mention, Microsoft did something regarding fake authentication with XP and I have no clue how they did it; good luck getting a cracked copy that works now.

--------------------

Edited by FuzedBox (12/21/10 01:24 PM)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#13666037 - 12/21/10 01:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Cuz I have a legit version of Win 7, why use a cracked version?

Because you don't have a legit version, you have a legit upgrade, and clearly it's not working out for you.

It's extremely easy to get a fully working cracked version of Win7 Ultimate.

Offlinebbl337
genetic material is Ar based
 User Gallery

#13666084 - 12/21/10 02:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

gumby, you can IM me at fromshrmy33 on aim and I'd be more than glad to help you

--------------------

Offlinebbl337
genetic material is Ar based
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: bbl337]
    #13666091 - 12/21/10 02:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I should mention I'm a+ certified and all that crap

--------------------

Invisiblelinkamathingy
Aspiring Mycologist

#13666191 - 12/21/10 02:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:

:laugh2:

exactly what i was going to do

--------------------
SCIENCE!!!
If NIST didn't even investigate whether explosives were used, how can we trust their investigation? It's a rule whenever explosions are heard.
Though I Laugh
EyegasmArt.com
anonymous: without name
Anonymous: a group with a name
don't be fooled, have a revolution on your own terms.

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
    #13666222 - 12/21/10 02:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Install freeBSD nigga.

I'm gonna try to, on my netbook. We can feel each others pain!  :cussing: :smirk:

OfflineInu
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Misawa-Shi, Aomori, Japan Flag
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Robo]
    #13666306 - 12/21/10 03:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

just have your pc manufacturer ship you out system restore disks, I had to do that last month with my desktop, you may have to pay for them, you may not, play the dumb innocent customer and they'll probably send them for free... "no sir my computer did not include the disks when I bought it."

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: bbl337]
    #13666309 - 12/21/10 03:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ah fuck this, I'm going to try installing Ubuntu. I have a feeling that my netbook hard drive controller could be bad. If installing Ubuntu fails, I'm gonna throw this fucker off my roof. An 11 story dive should do wonders for it. Fucking piece of shit, I've never been so frustrated with a computer before and I've been fixing them for like 12 years.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#13666324 - 12/21/10 03:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:

Dude... install linux. Ubuntu is the shit.

Buuuut.... I guess you just want to work with massively shitty software. Whatevs... it's your computer

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#13666331 - 12/21/10 03:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Ah fuck this, I'm going to try installing Ubuntu.

Good choice. Besides you COULD install both operating systems side by side...

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Invisiblelinkamathingy
Aspiring Mycologist

#13666338 - 12/21/10 03:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

ubuntu is frustrating at times as well, but i find it less irritating than corporate Windows.

if you have too much trouble with Ubuntu, try going back a few versions?
sometimes the newest one is too buggy.

you've been fixing them for 12yrs, you should be able to work well with the appropriate ubuntu for your compy.

--------------------
SCIENCE!!!
If NIST didn't even investigate whether explosives were used, how can we trust their investigation? It's a rule whenever explosions are heard.
Though I Laugh
EyegasmArt.com
anonymous: without name
Anonymous: a group with a name
don't be fooled, have a revolution on your own terms.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #13666345 - 12/21/10 03:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's the plan if there isn't some kind of hardware problem. Win 7 and Ubuntu. It's been a while since I've messed with Linux, now's as good a time as any to try it again.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: linkamathingy]
    #13666380 - 12/21/10 03:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

linkamathingy said:
ubuntu is frustrating at times as well, but i find it less irritating than corporate Windows.

I've been running Ubuntu 10.4 on an old Dell that I found in someone's garbage since like march or april. The only frustrating part is learning about linux, but once you start getting the hang of it it's pretty easy.

But seriously, is there a decent open source video editor out there? Fuck!

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13666401 - 12/21/10 03:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Linux Mint is the same as Ubuntu, but has better stability philosophies. :wink::thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
    #13666424 - 12/21/10 03:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Mint is easy as pie. Probably easier than Windows.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Robo]
    #13666473 - 12/21/10 03:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, Ubuntu is installing. Lets hope this works. Also, anyone know how/if I can change the mouse track pad sensitivity in Ubuntu? The mouse pointer is all over the place right now, it's way too sensitive.

InvisibleCaine
lab rat
Male User Gallery

#13666502 - 12/21/10 03:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

System -> Preferences -> Mouse

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Caine]
    #13666555 - 12/21/10 03:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Gumby, you did the right thing, buddy.

I love you too.

--------------------

OfflineApostle
Philanthropist
 User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
    #13666561 - 12/21/10 03:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

im no good with compooters

so

:haha:

--------------------

Google: Pippa Bacca

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Apostle]
    #13666990 - 12/21/10 05:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

im not reading this whole thing rn. Did you enable booting from a USB?

Do some googling, chances are you need that .iso on a usb that has been formated in a way that your computer will like to boot from it.
I successfully have done this about 4 years ago via USB & XP. It was a bitch because i had to do the formating in a cmd shell.
I fucking guarantee that someone has improved the process by now.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=installing+XP+on+a+netbook&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

looks like plenty of people have done a good job making it easier now that there are net books.
I was doing it to fuck around.. back in the day it was pretty strange to have hardware that could boot through USB.
Should be pretty standard on a netbook.

I personally would have got an SSD (40gb is all you need for that type of platform and it would make it 13415% more enjoyable to use/ trustworthy /fast etc...)

theres a good backup plan if you arnt into thiss ^^^
Find someone with the same net book and clone their drive to yours.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: rodfarva]
    #13667433 - 12/21/10 07:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well fuck. I installed Ubuntu, it works great, aside from one thing... the exact same fucking problem I had in Windows before my previous hard drive crashed and burned. When I'm in FireFox I keep getting this message about "F7 turns on caret browsing," so something is fucked in a bad way in terms of hardware. In other words, F7 is constantly being pressed on the keyboard. I've tried pulling the key off along with the rubber stopper that causes the key to be pressed... no dice, still get the same stupid problem. It has to be something electrical/a problem with the circuitry.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried removing my keyboard and hooking up an external keyboard and still got the same error. Is my mobo fried? Think taking the thing apart and spraying down the mobo with electrical contact cleaner would be a good idea?

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13667463 - 12/21/10 07:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ubuntu might have a hardware diagnostic program on it. If not apt get that motherfucker

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=linux+hardware+diagnostic+program&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#13667490 - 12/21/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well, the problem is so bad now that I can't even log into the god damn OS, the keyboard is unresponsive, so I can't go get that hardware diagnostic program. I think I might be asking for a new netbook for Christmas. Any suggestions? Asus eeePC, perhaps? I mean, I'll fix this fucker eventually but I just need a less shitty netbook over all.

OfflineFungal-one
Kneegrow
Male User Gallery

#13667516 - 12/21/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Aren't you a little old to be askin for chrimbus presents?

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #13667558 - 12/21/10 07:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
But seriously, is there a decent open source video editor out there? Fuck!

Blender is currently the best option.

Lightworks was recently open sourced and is in the process of being ported to linux.

Lightworks looks REALLY promising.

EDIT:
Quote:

Gumby said:
Well, the problem is so bad now that I can't even log into the god damn OS, the keyboard is unresponsive, so I can't go get that hardware diagnostic program. I think I might be asking for a new netbook for Christmas. Any suggestions? Asus eeePC, perhaps? I mean, I'll fix this fucker eventually but I just need a less shitty netbook over all.

im not crazy about the Eees because of that god damn half-sized right shift key..

the Acer Aspire Ones and Dell Latitude 2110s are nice.

i was actually just looking at those Acer Timeline machines the other day.. 11.6", 720p LED display, Ion graphics, i3..

that one is probably classified as an ultraportable.. seems to me like a nice compromise between a netbook and a more full sized machine.

--------------------

Edited by frith (12/21/10 07:36 PM)

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: frith]
    #13667741 - 12/21/10 08:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I like my little eee. Its the only netbook I came across, that didnt have a Windows key. That made or broke the deal for me, cuz I wasnt planning to install Windows. Yes, I'm a little OCD. :smirk:

Its a older model though.

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Loc: right near da beach Flag
    #13667901 - 12/21/10 08:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure if this is relevant anymore, but I reinstalled a torrent copy of Windows XP on my Acer Aspire One very recently via flash drive.

download a copy of the freeware program "WinToFlash" at http://wintoflash.com/

extract and run, then create your bootable flash drive

:thumbup:

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#13670567 - 12/22/10 01:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ombient said:
I like my little eee. Its the only netbook I came across, that didnt have a Windows key. That made or broke the deal for me, cuz I wasnt planning to install Windows. Yes, I'm a little OCD. :smirk:

Its a older model though.

That's pretty silly.  You can always just map it to something else.  It's just an extra macro button....

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
    #13670621 - 12/22/10 01:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My concern wasnt about the function of the key. It was about the logo. :lol:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#13671425 - 12/22/10 03:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So it's running fine with the new hard drive and Ubuntu, other than the fact that I need to get a new keyboard because F7 is constantly being pressed on the keyboard I have and I can't fix it.

Anyone know how to move the launcher bar in Ubuntu? Mine is stuck on the left hand side and I want it moved to the bottom. I tried to figure it out for like 45 minutes and just gave up. If you could tell me how to autohide it that would be pretty awesome too.

Invisiblefrith
God

#13671466 - 12/22/10 03:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

right click the panel > Properties > General tab > Orientation

unless Ubuntu has changed this menu around (not out of the question).

make sure you are actually clicking a blank section of the panel and not on some panel applet.

--------------------

Edited by frith (12/22/10 03:58 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fucking fuck, netbook HDD died, I got a new one and can't install windows, need help. [Re: frith]
    #13671477 - 12/22/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nothing happens when I right click on the panel :confused:

Invisiblefrith
God

#13671502 - 12/22/10 04:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hmm.. no idea then. been ages since i ran either Gnome or Ubuntu..

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

#13671510 - 12/22/10 04:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

oh wait.. are you using the netbook edition/UI or just standard Gnome?

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#13671552 - 12/22/10 04:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I'm using the netbook remix version.

Invisiblefrith
God

#13671632 - 12/22/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hmm.. i have even less experience with that man.

i didnt even know you could move the panel at all.. i thought it was at the top permanently.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom