Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death
    #2255255 - 01/20/04 06:57 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

By Richard Savill
(Filed: 20/01/2004)

A man of 36 is believed to have become the first person in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning.

Lee Maisey smoked six cannabis cigarettes a day for 11 years, an inquest heard. His death, which was registered as having been caused by cannabis toxicity, led to new warnings about the drug, which is due to be reclassified this month as a less dangerous one.

"This type of death is extremely rare," Prof John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College, London, said after the inquest at Haverfordwest, west Wales.

"I have not seen anything like this before. It corrects the argument that cannabis cannot kill anybody."

The inquest heard that Mr Maisey had complained of a headache on Aug 22 last year. Next morning he was found dead at the house he shared with a friend, Jeffrey Saunders, in Summerhill, Pembrokeshire.

Michael Howells, the Pembrokeshire coroner, said Mr Maisey was free from disease and had not drunk alcohol for at least 48 hours. Post-mortem tests showed a high level of cannabinoids in his blood.

He recorded a verdict of death by misadventure because Mr Maisey had died while taking part in an illegal activity. The death led to a warning about the changing strength of cannabis, which is to be reduced to a Class C drug on Jan 29.

Dr Philip Guy, a lecturer in addictions at the University of Hull, said: "Cannabis is not the nice hippy drug it used to be. It has been experimented with to produce stronger varieties."

Dr Guy said that death was more likely if users ate the drug rather than smoked it. "I would not be surprised if in this case the deceased had ingested a fatal amount of cannabis."

Last autumn police issued a warning that big consignments of strong cannabis were being smuggled in from Africa. On Jan 29, cannabis will be reclassified from a class B to a class C drug.

The shadow home secretary, David Davis, said last night: "This highlights what we have been saying about the effects of cannabis all along. When will people wake up to the fact that cannabis can be a harmful drug?

"By reclassifying the drug David Blunkett has shown he has lost the war on drugs. In my eyes, it's nothing more than an admission of failure."

Tristan Millington-Drake, the chief executive of the Chemical Dependency Centre, a charity that provides treatment for people with drug problems, said: "We have always taken the view that cannabis is an addictive drug, unlike the pedlars who try to persuade us that it is harmless. The Government's decision to reclassify cannabis is a mistake."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Oklahoma City , OK, USA
Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: Stein]
    #2255359 - 01/20/04 08:14 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Everything in moderation.  :mushroom2:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2255483 - 01/20/04 09:02 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm.... this sounds really fishy...

First, the expert:

"I have not seen anything like this before. It corrects the argument that cannabis cannot kill anybody," Prof John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College, London, said.

If that isn't a biased statement, then I don't know what is... It corrects the argument? What the... !? Perhaps the death contadicts the theory that it is impossible to OD from cannabis, but one sample doesn't change a thing in science... let alone correct an aguement.

So why do we blame cannabis? Well, because:

Post-mortem tests showed a high level of cannabinoids in his blood.

Now why would he have high levels of cannabinoids in his blood? Oh yeah:

Lee Maisey smoked six cannabis cigarettes a day for 11 years, an inquest heard.

So he smoked a couple of grams a day for 11 years and all of the sudden, it caught up to him and he died...could there be another reason... something like:

The shadow home secretary, David Davis, said last night: "This highlights what we have been saying about the effects of cannabis all along. When will people wake up to the fact that cannabis can be a harmful drug?

Buy why does David Davis care... well, he needed the death to show:

His death, which was registered as having been caused by cannabis toxicity, led to new warnings about the drug, which is due to be reclassified this month as a less dangerous one.

as I said... sounds fishy to me. My guess is the guy died from natural causes and cannabis happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and took the fall.

Finally, lets assume that I am wrong and the expert is correct. We have one death in how many years from how many people smoking cannabis... what about alcohol, or nicotine? Why do we waste so much money demonizing cannabis while we slowly kill ourselves smoking cigs and drinking?

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: Seuss]
    #2256050 - 01/20/04 12:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Complete bullshit. They found him dead but haven't shown the true CAUSE OF DEATH, just cannabanoids in his blood. Now he may have had a heart attack or a stroke, maybe a stroke caused by excessive smoking, but they don't give any details.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (01/20/04 02:17 PM)

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: pattern]
    #2256151 - 01/20/04 01:11 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What a load of shite. How weird that no-one has died of cannabis before in this country, but a week before it's legal status is going to be downgraded we have a man dieing of 'cannabis toxicity', cannabis causing someone to commit murder, and numerous stories about how it causes schizophrenia, depression and intellectual impairment.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  is all i can say. :rolleyes:

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: Seuss]
    #2256157 - 01/20/04 01:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Lots people die of causes that aren't immediately obvious. Lots of people smoke cannabis. The chance of a case like this not occuring is close to zero.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2257005 - 01/20/04 05:53 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

people die of cigarettes EVERY DAY!

Anonymous

#2264072 - 01/22/04 08:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

He had a stroke, heart attack, or brain aneurysm. Cannabis is 100% not to blame.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #2264153 - 01/22/04 09:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cannabis poisoning

lol.  :smirk:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflinejamboUK
A Fun Guy
    #2272952 - 01/25/04 09:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:

"By reclassifying the drug David Blunkett has shown he has lost the war on drugs. In my eyes, it's nothing more than an admission of failure."

HE LOST IT?? HE LOST IT??!! YOUR PARTY SPENT 18 SOLID YEARS IN GOVERNMENT, HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU BLAME ANYONE ELSE FOR LOSING THE WAR ON DRUGS???

The "War On Drugs" is a waste of time and money, not to mention freedom, in the case of people who go to prison for helping others do what they want to their own bodies. By trying to fight cannabis in the 18 years the Conservatives ruled from 1979-1997, and inevitably making no ground whatsoever, apparently they have the right to accuse a party that actually makes a progressive step towards a more decent and fair society of "failure"? If anything, it's an admission that the previous policy, held by the Tories for many years, could only prolong the failure.

I might not support Labour on everything, but this is one move they've got right. For the Tories to try and make cheap political fodder from a bold, controversial and ultimately correct decision, from a government usually scared of changing anything in case it loses them votes, is utterly disgraceful, especially given their own track record.

I'm not a politically motivated person, but this takes the piss, I'm afraid.

OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #2273528 - 01/26/04 01:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Another forum was talking about this article, someone mentioned that the telegraph is published by the same people who publish the Weekly World Wide News. The people who have been running those stories about BAT BOY.

--------------------
The pleasure of satisfying a savage instict undomesticated by the ego is uncomparaby much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct.
S. Freud

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2278010 - 01/27/04 02:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Latest negative about cannabis in the press is "It takes approximately 1000 times more alcohol to have the same effect on the brain as cannabis". This is suppose to be a negative..

Can't quite understand why having to drink 1000 times more of a crude, body-destroying poison like ethanol makes it better than cannabis..

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2284883 - 01/29/04 05:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

fuck im super stoned i think im gunnna die. im trippin. aaahhhh

that article doesnt actually doesnt say that it killed him, it jsut said he has cannabanoids in his blood when he died. perhaps a heart attack. maybe other drugs. who knows. but there is a action in which all poisons work i wonder what really killed him

peace

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #2295670 - 02/02/04 09:34 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

the opposition has been looking for a counter to the no deaths argument for the longest time... I've been hearing a lot of "don't tell me that marijuana doesn't kill people... so and so died when he was hit by a car and the driver was all hopped up blah blah blah"

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineDamos
Stranger
Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2324991 - 02/11/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

and how many times have we heard of a drunk driver killing someone?

I have personally heard of two cases of marijuana impaired judgment being associated with someone elses death in my entire life. I have heard of thousands of deaths related to alcohol...

the argument that marijuana is a dangerous drug just doesnt hold up in any mature realistic conversation. the fact that people have smoked marijuana since 5000 B.C.(?) and there hasnt been a single case of "marijuana poisoning" directly attributed to a single persons death is enough proof to me that marijuana is a safe drug. the deaths you hear about people being killed in car accidents when a driver is intoxicated can only be attributed to the drivers bad judgement in driving in the first place. same with alcohol.

at my peak i smoked approx. an ounce a day for 2.5 years... I never experienced anything from that which I could attribute towards me dying...

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death [Re: Damos]
    #2325296 - 02/11/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

An ounce a day huh?
I have trouble believing that..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds