Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, HPS

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezenvegan
Stranger
x-ray or irradiation affecting mail spores!!!
    #2197444 - 12/23/03 11:05 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

there is little question that either purposely, or just along with the other mail (more likely) spores in the mail are being irradiated or xrayed causing serious germination problems.

this could just affect mail in cetainr areas/routes, but has happed, i believe on two separate occasions using two different spore vendors--shipping to Hawaii. both mailed after 9/11...and after the pf troubles.

using a well established, tight tek which usually has given 100% results with zero contamination on multiple projects over the years,  a close friend who i know was suddenlyy  faced with very slow or non-existant germination... :wtf:

first batch gave mycelia that germinated in optimum conditions only after more than two weeks.old spores maybe?? thats what we thought. then the fruits came out dwarfed as well. torubleshooting guides cite exposure to some chemical or mutagen for this symptom--chemical, radiation, xray...???

the second try, different vendor was the kicker. super tight tech, all sterile precautions and optimum growth conditions prepared. innoculation with spores from a different vendor....different strain...2+ weeks without any germination....wait....One single jar shows germination that, like the last batch of mycelia, shows slow growth and trouble goiung to the dikaryotic--ropey--stage! it will colinize thw whole cake practically before showing any signs of dikaryotic growth!!! :wtf:

after straining our brains for a week about this single jar :rolleyes: :confused:

:shocked:
my only conclusion, being a man of science and logic could be that the jar that showed germination was the first innoculated. further, that the spores were irradiated and or xrayed as a safety precautuion by the us post office. killing most of the spores. i might add that spores ordered here before the 9-11 period (pf)were fine...i can only surmise that the spores that showed germination were those settled inside the metal shaft of the syringe, causing them to be sheilded somewhat from the xray or irradiation. they must have all been pushed out during the first innoculation, it seems.

im open to other suggestions, but this is the only logical explanation i can figure, because everything else was the same for all jars, and only one is showing any growth, and there is no sign of contamination in any jars!

anyone else havce similar experience??
\
seems like it may be time for people to start making their own spore prints in sterilized jars and making their own syringes from these!! :mushroom2:
problems with spores in us mail?
You may choose only one
problems with spores in usmail
no problems with spores in us mail

Votes accepted from (12/23/03 11:02 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Edited by zenvegan (12/23/03 11:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: x-ray or irradiation affecting mail spores!!! [Re: zenvegan]
    #2197528 - 12/23/03 12:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

You know, there might be something to this theroy! I hope there isn't, but I think he c ould be onto something.

--------------------

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2198088 - 12/23/03 05:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I got to talk to someone, this was the subject of conversation a few month back with some friends, one planed on getting a friend to do a few xrays of some spores, I'll try and find out what ever happened with it.

Offlinezenvegan
Stranger
Re: x-ray or irradiation affecting mail spores!!! [Re: Granola]
    #2198900 - 12/24/03 02:13 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well, so far only 3 people have voted, and no one else is reporting problems.

id like to hear about those xrayed spores.

i was thinking it could have something to do with the fact that all mail comes here on airplanes. hmmmmm. if anyone else has any insights please do not hesitate! :-D

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

#2199271 - 12/24/03 08:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Iv never had any problems but when i order my spores only get scaned twice. Once when droped off and once it is recieved in my town.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2200369 - 12/25/03 01:52 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zenvegan said:
id like to hear about those xrayed spores.

I didnt vote but thats because I dont have a difinative answer yet, I got to see a friend of a friend, truthfully.

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #2200691 - 12/25/03 07:22 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The radiation typically received from exposure to an x-ray at an airport would not be sufficient to kill most kinds of spores (including bacteria such as anthrax, plants such as Ceratopteris, or those types of fungus which may infect library archives), though prolonged exposure could possibly induce mutagenesis. It is possible that there is some other physical factor at work (excessive heat or cold, contaminated spore water, uv ray overexposure), or perhaps a substandard gene pool or other defect for the batches you received (such things happen occasionally even to reputable vendors). The irradiation levels used by the Titan "e-beam" hardware is the equivalent of nearly a billion chest x-rays, so if your package passed through one of these machines it seems likely you would have some problems with the spores (though the radiation supposedly only penetrates through the first 1.5 inches of material); however, as far as I can tell, the USPS only has eight of these machines and they are not using them on a regular basis, but rather only in response to threats to certain recipients (e.g. CNN, the federal government, etc.) or facilities (e.g. the Brentwood sorting center). I have read nothing to suggest that mail passing through anywhere other than DC or NYC has ever been irradiated.

If anyone has access to x-ray equipment, it would be easy and interesting to set up an experiment (with a control of course) to see what if any effect a single exposure has on germination, fruiting, etc.

Offlinedupee419
Farmer
Male

#12594288 - 05/19/10 09:35 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I know I'm grave-digging here but this could help some people.

I have problems with spores making it to Hawaii without defects via USPS from any supplier (every package via us mail is nuked coming into the state). My fix has been to pay the outrageous premium for UPS as they seem to be able to get them here without getting them nuked. That does of course cost an extra $30, but it saves a lot of hassle.

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
Re: x-ray or irradiation affecting mail spores!!! [Re: dupee419]
    #12594408 - 05/19/10 09:56 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

The user Just Me lives in Hawaii or goes there a lot because I remember seeing his pictures. Ask him if he ever had these problems.

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, HPS

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation