Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: Salomon]
    #21927699 -

Salomon said:
tarantulas are hella slow.

i would imagine as a creature gets larger it gets slower



Elephants run faster than people. But back on topic if a spider was the size of a person its exoskelleton would most likely fail.


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21927756 -



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21927799 -

r00tuuu123 said:
Salomon said:
tarantulas are hella slow.

i would imagine as a creature gets larger it gets slower



Elephants run faster than people. But back on topic if a spider was the size of a person its exoskelleton would most likely fail.



I thought the whole thought experiment was if they functioned exactly as is but scaled up to our size. So completely ridiculous and a world I'm glad i do not live in.


--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: MorphinTime]
    #21931552 -

MorphinTime said:
There was also a show on Animal Planet called "The Most Extreme" that went over the limitations for insects and other organisms with exoskeletons that made it on its countdowns.  I don't think David Attenborough narrated any episodes, but I may be wrong.



Not the show I'm talking about but I've seen that one.  They play it a lot in the early early mornings  before I go to bed after work. ( work graveyard)

Attenbourough definately has never narrated that one.


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: Salomon]
    #21931720 -

I would say no, they wouldn't. Look at fat people, they're just small people scaled larger, amd they're slow as shit.


--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.


In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #21931752 -

Well they would cover more ground, though they may be less agile.


Honestly, if arachnids were the size of people I would off myself in a heartbeat. I cleaned out my basement last month after letting some stuff sit for the winter/spring, and holy shit, it was covered in spiders :uhoh:.


Could. not. deal.


But before the dinosaurs(I forget the official name for the era), giant insects roamed the earth because the atmosphere was pretty much bloated with oxygen compared to now(or any other time).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: Shroomslip]
    #21931760 -

Shroomslip said:
I'm afraid of cockroaches  :okay:

Not like "I don't like them or I hope it doesn't crawl on me" I mean like "scream like a little bitch when one runs in my direction". I'll run out of the room, heart pounding like leather face is chasing me with a chainsaw, slam the door and then I won't stop looking at the floor and walls for the next hour. I won't leave my sanctum unless it is absolutely nessecary and even then, I creep around like one would in a horror movie trying to escape the unfamiliar and seemingly endless house. Every step is taken with great trepidation as I scan the floor, walls and ceilings for anything that even slightly resembles a roach.

I have a severe phobia of them because of a stupid fucking nightmare I had when I was about 5 or 6. I even kept the fucking things as "pets" and HELD them before the nightmare... After I was absolutely terrified of them.

Do you know how pathetic it is a nearly 30 year old man has to get his wife to go kill a fucking roach.. :feelsbadman:



I lol'd

I'm not big on cockroaches either, bud.


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: pirate-blues]
    #21931811 -

pirate-blues said:
Well they would cover more ground, though they may be less agile.


Honestly, if arachnids were the size of people I would off myself in a heartbeat. I cleaned out my basement last month after letting some stuff sit for the winter/spring, and holy shit, it was covered in spiders :uhoh:.


Could. not. deal.


But before the dinosaurs(I forget the official name for the era), giant insects roamed the earth because the atmosphere was pretty much bloated with oxygen compared to now(or any other time).



I agree. I have a theory that when god designed spiders, he literally targeted what would be mankinds biggest fear. Like they are the gold standard for fictional monsters and all things horrible. You can't believe how scared i was to open this thread(i almost never open a thread with spiders in the title) out of fear of seeing one. If i ever open a page on my phone and a spider appears, i literally get paralyzed in fear and can't move until my battery dies.

I really appreciate the shroomery for not having spiders on this thread 5 shrooms for all of you.

FYCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. i scrolled up and saw i missed one.:facepalm:


--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.


In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

Edited by LuSiD enthusiast (07/12/15 01:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #21931853 -

LuSiD enthusiast said:
pirate-blues said:
Well they would cover more ground, though they may be less agile.


Honestly, if arachnids were the size of people I would off myself in a heartbeat. I cleaned out my basement last month after letting some stuff sit for the winter/spring, and holy shit, it was covered in spiders :uhoh:.


Could. not. deal.


But before the dinosaurs(I forget the official name for the era), giant insects roamed the earth because the atmosphere was pretty much bloated with oxygen compared to now(or any other time).



I agree. I have a theory that when god designed spiders, he literally targeted what would be mankinds biggest fear. Like they are the gold standard for fictional monsters and all things horrible. You can't believe how scared i was to open this thread(i almost never open a thread with spiders in the title) out of fear of seeing one. If i ever open a page on my phone and a spider appears, i literally get paralyzed in fear and can't move until my battery dies.

I really appreciate the shroomery for not having spiders on this thread 5 shrooms for all of you.

FYCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. i scrolled up and saw i missed one.:facepalm:






....you're right.


I can fix that!!!




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: pirate-blues]
    #21931979 -

Oh my fuck.

I just saw a centipede IN MY BED. This area has them this time of year, and normally they're in my basement and I don't mind them because they eat other insect but..IN MY BED.

that should NOT happen. I have so much work to get done today in terms of school and work(Sunday). I was going to sleep for a couple of hours and then start cranking, but now it crawled all over me and I ended up throwing my pillows across my bedroom and now I'm sitting on my living room couch.
So I'll probably just keep drinking and just start now I guess.


And then by tomorrow night I'll be so tired I won't give two shits.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: pirate-blues] * 1
    #21931983 -

dude, fuck centipedes..


--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: zZZz]
    #21931984 -

What if everything was made out of spiders?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: nooneman]
    #21931986 -

2+2= 4


--------------------
https://discord.gg/NHHd5y2Uyv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: zZZz]
    #21931990 -

More seriously, the goliath birdeater can actually move pretty fast. So I imagine that human sized spiders could still move fast. Also, there was a time in earth's history when insects ruled the earth. So it's possible that people sized spiders really happened at some point.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: nooneman]
    #21931998 -

nooneman said:
More seriously, the goliath birdeater can actually move pretty fast. So I imagine that human sized spiders could still move fast. Also, there was a time in earth's history when insects ruled the earth. So it's possible that people sized spiders really happened at some point.






More seriously, I'm glad I don't live in an area where I have to worry about bird eating SPIDERS. Or flying cockroaches or scorpians, or tarantulas, or tarantula wasps. The only thing really scary we get here are massive(albeit harmless) wolf spiders, that I've run screaming from a few times in my life, and maybe the occasional widow species in dark corners - and woodland rattlesnakes when you start getting out towards the boondocks, but oddly enough, I'd much rather encounter those than the teeny tiny little house centipede I just did.


It doesn't make sense to me. I don't mind moths, butterflies, ladybugs, but literally everything else(especially stinkbugs), I cannot deal with. Can't even  squish them. It's pathetic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: zZZz]
    #21932130 -

Don't worry, it wouldn't work.  The spider would suffocate.  They don't have lungs like we do.  They rely on passive gas exchange rather than forcefully inhaling and exhaling air.  It's simple math.  As things get bigger there is less surface area to volume ratio.  Animals that breathe like spiders are small so there is lots of surface area to have holes allowing for gas exchange.  But when you get bigger, you need totally different organs to allow for enough gas exchange to stay alive.  That's the short version.  Insects and spiders don't breathe like mammals, birds and reptiles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: zZZz]
    #21932134 -

zZZz said:
would they be just as fast as they are small?..

, or does gravity have a set number which we must all follow?..



THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN THINKING ABOUT

TO THE FLAMETHROWERS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: Beanhead]
    #21932930 -

If spiders were the size of people there would be no people


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #21933109 -

You don't think a high powered assault rifle could put down a big mushy spider?


--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: if arachnids were the size of people.. [Re: OhMrJohnson] * 1
    #21933280 -

We never would have evolved to invent them


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* hummingbird: insect or bird question_for_joo 1,117 10 09/11/05 02:49 PM
by SkorpivoMusterion
* Does a empty oxygen cylinder weigh the same full?
( 1 2 3 all )
pscyanescens 16,699 49 01/22/07 05:22 PM
by pscyanescens
* official cute arachnid pictures thread
( 1 2 3 all )
Vriska Serket 2,930 57 10/03/13 08:44 PM
by evileye001
* The Man Who Built a 20-Foot Flamethrowing Exoskeleton. AMAZING, MUST SEE! kanglow 772 13 12/11/09 03:57 PM
by Lucidx
* arachnid hall of fame. tiny_rabid_birds 676 6 11/10/09 07:31 AM
by bardleyrichard
* insects going at it! Krishna 1,095 10 07/12/05 12:11 PM
by myCo_psyCo
* What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen?
( 1 2 3 all )
pscyanescens 10,066 46 03/12/11 09:39 PM
by Treefeeler
* Oxygen sensor
( 1 2 3 all )
freddurgan 4,111 47 06/29/05 04:07 PM
by vinsue

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,683 topic views. 3 members, 9 guests and 89 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.