Went for a hike yesterday in the hopes of finding some new chanterelle spots. Last week I had checked out the spot that has fruited for the past 2 years and, sure enough, there were little orange specks all over the forest floor around this small dead tree. So that's 3 years in a row that there have been chants fruiting at that one location. Usually I'm mostly on the berries during the summer, but this year I'm trying to put time into edible summer mushrooms. So instead of heading for the black raspberries, I headed to the other oak sections that were nearby the already known chants. The first ridge with oaks didn't reveal anything other than some random Amanitas, Boletes, and Russulas. There were a couple of times that I thought I caught the smell of trumpets, but was never able to locate any. It was pretty early still when I had walked through there (sun had just come up), so perhaps my eyes just missed things. On to ridge number 2. The second ridge loaded with oaks has become one of my new favorite edible spots. Last fall we found chicken, hen, and honeys! All of this parasitic activity has taken out a number of trees which lead me to believe that any mycorrhizal fungi would be looking for new homes. It didn't take long before I saw and area that looked promising. After about 5 minutes of slowly walking a section of dead oak, there they were. More orange specks coming up in an area with numerous trees that were down for count. Most of them were just starting to fruit, so I carefully made my way around taking a couple pics and figuring out where they all were. I did manage to score some decent enough ones though. Here's the chant pics. I think that they are C. lateritius based on the fairly smooth ridges and that they were fruiting around oak and hickories.
 
After finding those I decided to make my way up the hill and towards the area the hen grows. I had walked a good bit and was starting to see the end of the ridge when I happened to look over to my left and ... TRUMPETS! It was time to slow down and concentrate hard. Yup, had just walked past a couple clusters and it didn't take too long to find a couple more just a bit downhill from my first find. Scanned the immediate area pretty good and then continued towards the turn around point, scanning the ground with serious intent. Was a couple minutes of nothing when I stumbled across this pretty cool looking bolete. I'm not familiar with edible species of boletes, but this one looked like a maybe. Decided that I was already on a mission and only took pics of them, not bringing any home for id purposes. If, however, anyone thinks they know what it may be, have at it. (scratched pores on left mush) After spending time with those I turned in the direction I was heading and what do you know, more trumpets. It ended up being another little section along that ridge that had trumpets fruiting. Some clusters here, some clusters there, and a bunch of small ones still coming up. After this second spot I made my way to the end of the ridge, but without anymore luck. Turned around and scanned on the way back out and ended up just making sure I knew where everything was before calling it a day. The hunt for chants was a success and now it was time to get back and enjoy the finds. So here's the pics of the trumpets along with that bolete, a beautiful Amanita encountered while out, and the total day's haul. 
     
-------------------- Click Here for examples of P. ovoideocystidiata including ...
Examples of different phenotypes, habitat and a transplant setup from natural habitat materials.
Extra image uploads possible thanks to koods
|