Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
most detailed map of surrounding universe yet * 1
    #21258393 -

Article



We know that the Earth and the solar system are located in the Milky Way galaxy. But how, exactly, does the Milky Way fit in among the billions of other galaxies in the known universe?

In a fascinating 2014 study for Nature, a team of scientists mapped thousands of galaxies in our immediate vicinity, and discovered that the Milky Way is part of a jaw-droppingly massive "supercluster" of galaxies that they named Laniakea.

This structure is much, much, much bigger than astronomers had previously realized. Laniakea contains more than 100,000 galaxies, stretches 500 million light years across, and looks something like this (the Milky Way is just a speck located on one of its fringes on the right):

Say hello to Laniakea, our local supercluster



It's hard to wrap one's head around how enormous this is. Each of those points of light is an individual galaxy. Each galaxy contains millions, billlions, or even trillions of stars. Oh, and this all is just our little local corner of an even broader universe. There are many other galaxy superclusters out there.

So how did the researchers figure out this structure existed — and how did they distinguish it from other superclusters?

The team of scientists, led by R. Brent Tully of the University of Hawaii, first studied the motion of some 8,000 galaxies in our neighborhood. By doing so, they could map out certain patterns. The universe overall has been expanding ever since the Big Bang. But the team also found that gravity was pulling some galaxies toward each other.

That helped them build the graph below, where galaxies moving away from us are shown in red, and the galaxies moving toward us in blue.

The galaxies around us are moving in identifiable patterns



That, in turn, let them create a map of the pathways along which all the galaxies are moving and demarcate some boundaries.

The map below shows some of the pathways within our broader supercluster of galaxies. There's an especially dense region called "The Great Attractor" (in red) that's slowly pulling the Milky Way and many other galaxies toward it:

Many galaxies in Laniakea are being pulled toward the "Great Attractor"



What's interesting is that this structure is much bigger than anyone had realized. Astronomers had long grouped the Milky Way, Andromeda, and other galaxies around us in the Virgo Supercluster, which contained some 100 galaxy groups.

But as Tully and his colleagues found, and as the map above shows, this Virgo Supercluster is just part of a much, much bigger supercluster — Laniakea. (The name, aptly enough, means "immeasurable heavens" in Hawaiian.)

So what happens when we zoom out? The paper notes that Laniakea borders another supercluster known as Perseus-Pisces. And the scientists defined the borders as where the galaxies are consistently diverging:

Laniakea borders another supercluster: Perseus-Pisces



What happens if we zoom out even further? Even Laniakea and Perseus-Pisces are just one small pocket of the much broader universe. That universe consists of both voids and densely packed superclusters of galaxies.

It looks something like this:



We still don't have detailed maps of every last galaxy supercluster out there. But we now have one for our own home supercluster — and that's certainly a start.

Further watching: There's an excellent video from Nature breaking down the team's findings. The stills above come from that video.



Pretty fascinating article, lots of cool imagery.

Figured it was worth a share, what are your thoughts on this discovery?


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Edited by musiclover420 (02/11/15 12:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: musiclover420]
    #21258444 -

and to think, we're the only life forms in the universe. Amazing


--------------------
Love.

Edited by Sagescruffy (02/11/15 12:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: musiclover420]
    #21258446 -

surplisingly similar to what neurones looks like


--------------------



                                                        "The best things in life, come covered in spines."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Sagescruffy]
    #21258462 -

I know right! Its baffling, but understandable as humans tend to be afraid of the unknown and many people are unwilling to face their fears. The whole earth if flat thing is a good example :lol:

And yeah that is pretty crazy too, I have seen comparisons of parts of that last image side by side by brain pathway mapping/ neuron mapping and they look incredibly similar.


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Sagescruffy]
    #21258465 -

Sagescruffy said:
and to think, we're the only life forms in the universe. Amazing



As far as we know, and since our knowledge is limited.....

by the way, i assume that you meant "extraordinary complicated life forms" as humans , since there are life forms on mars (some bacteria i think)


--------------------



                                                        "The best things in life, come covered in spines."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Lemnaminor]
    #21258629 -

Pretty awesome

Doesn't suprise me though

They say the universe is constantly expanding at the speed of light so who knows where it ends and even if we figured it out it would be  a long ways away by then

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Lemnaminor]
    #21258850 -

Lemnaminor said:
surplisingly similar to what neurones looks like



I find it even more amazing that you would believe that.We are one of millions of other intelligent humanoid races.We are probably about the bottom of the list in achievements and intelligence.Intelligent beings aren't supposed to kill and exploit each other like we do, so bottom of list.Warlike races, like us, usually won't make it much past their atomic age.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Lemnaminor]
    #21258859 -

Quote:
Sagescruffy said:
and to think, we're the only life forms in the universe. Amazing



I find it even more amazing that you would believe that.We are one of millions of other intelligent humanoid races.We are probably about the bottom of the list in achievements and intelligence.Intelligent beings aren't supposed to kill and exploit each other like we do, so bottom of list.Warlike races, like us, usually won't make it much past their atomic age.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Lemnaminor]
    #21259054 -

Lemnaminor said:
Sagescruffy said:
and to think, we're the only life forms in the universe. Amazing



As far as we know, and since our knowledge is limited.....

by the way, i assume that you meant "extraordinary complicated life forms" as humans , since there are life forms on mars (some bacteria i think)



There are lifeforms on mars? Since when? Potentially contamination, but i don't think there have ever been confirmed lifeforms that originated anywhere other than earth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: JacksonMetaller]
    #21259393 -

You think that's mind-blowing.....research the scope and size of the Shappley Super-Cluster.....one of the most enormous that we've found....as of yet, anyway. lol, no wonder I turn to psychedelics to meditate on these facts!:grin:


--------------------
Cooooooookies! Chomp Chomp Chewey Chomp!!!
This program has been brought to you by dirt. Dirt...it's been around so long it's considered to be older than...wait a minute...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: ragefanjr]
    #21259736 -

Resembles the human circulatory system the heart and capillaries but it could just be the artists rendition


--------------------
All submitted posts are by Someone Who Isn't Me and in any event are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: natzyshroomer]
    #21259820 -

And you know what? YOU'RE a piece of that mother fucker. :mindblown:


--------------------
RIP Alice

<3 Chinacat72 <3

Edited by funkerdslr (02/11/15 05:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: funkerdslr]
    #21260289 -

We won't be able to understand the universe until we understand life itself. The evolution of organisms is fucking fascinating. It's the ego itself that truly creates the universe. I feel like we look at the universe as we did the earth back in the day. We thought the earth was flat but it turned out it was round. Infinite light, moving at a constant speed and our eyes capture it and translate it into the cosmos. The cat that jumps isn't the cat that lands.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Sagescruffy]
    #21261907 -

Sagescruffy said:
and to think, we're the only life forms in the universe. Amazing





You mut be crazy to think that we are the only life form out of all that.. that was sarcasm right? lol:smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: KamelToeRodeo] * 1
    #21262290 -

NOT DRUG RELATED. THIS SHOULD BE A PUB STORY!

Still super cool though.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Distorted Vision]
    #21262893 -

We most definitely cannot be the only life the Andromeda galaxy has 200 trillion stars the milky way only has like 200 billion and there are some 100-200 billion galaxies each with there own billions of stars , all with planets and there is no way that earth is the only planet that has liquid water and or some type of carbon based life


--------------------


54. The true nature of things is to be known personally , through the eyes of clear illumination and not through a sage : what the moon exactly is , is to be known with one's own eyes ; can another make him know it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: connectedcosmos]
    #21262917 -



--------------------
Did you not know that the royal hunting grounds are always forbidden?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Mental Taco]
    #21262971 -

Holy shit I've had a profound realization the universe is indeed a fucking fractal!!!! Haha


--------------------


54. The true nature of things is to be known personally , through the eyes of clear illumination and not through a sage : what the moon exactly is , is to be known with one's own eyes ; can another make him know it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: Distorted Vision]
    #21263071 -

Since when do all news stories have to be drug related? Anyways life and the universe and psychedelics have a direct relationship.


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Most setailed map of surrounding universe yet [Re: musiclover420]
    #21263992 -

You're joking right? That's the only rule for posting in this section. It is supposed to be drug or mushroom related.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Google Maps, Satellite pics
( 1 2 all )
cybrbeast 4,316 32 04/10/05 05:11 PM
by In(di)go
* Protesters surround Laura Bush at Jerusalem mosque
( 1 2 all )
DeadPhan 4,357 20 05/23/05 11:10 AM
by afoaf
* The Piri Re'is map morphius2661 543 1 09/22/07 04:39 PM
by LucidDream
* A map of Pot Smokers In America (a little dated) TheFakeSunRa 1,165 16 06/18/05 01:52 PM
by Twirling
* MAPS event portland nice 564 1 12/02/05 10:10 PM
by Learyfan
* treasure map to finding free drugs wipikas1 435 2 08/16/07 09:49 PM
by Vanguard
* Mapping the un-mappable... PapaverS 821 4 07/22/04 11:25 AM
by Geordi_La_Forge
* Aftern0oon naps. FrozenHappiness 1,074 10 12/13/02 06:41 PM
by CherryBom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,949 topic views. 6 members, 54 guests and 221 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.