Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Mapping the un-mappable...
    #2915625 - 07/22/04 01:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Or, you can't step on the same piece of water twice...

The mapping of land, which moves in geological time, was pretty much locked-down in the 17th Century, with the improvements of mechanical clocks and the taming of longitude, and completed in the late 20th Century with satellites -- including the undersea land! However, the sea itself, and the skies, which move in real time, remain difficult to map and predict. Hence, the sea remains to this day, one of the last hiding places for mystery and sublimity; the terra incognita of a lost El Dorado; a still somewhat applicable metaphor for the unconscious soul. I love a good mystery...

"Nature, I have constantly argued in my work, is the real superpower of this godless universe. It is the ultimate disposer of human fate, randomly recarving geography over 10,000-year epochs. Hence my disdain for the prissy social constructionism of poststructuralism and postmodernism, which are blind to nature and which produce such shallow, jaded minds in faculty as well as students. High Romanticism shows you nature in all its harsh and lovely metamorphoses. Flood, fire and quake fling us back to the primal struggle for survival and reveal our gross dependency on mammoth, still mysterious forces."

--Camille Paglia

"There is, one knows not what sweet mystery about this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath."

--Herman Melville

'Rogue waves' reported by mariners get scientific backing

Wed Jul 21, 1:07 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - European satellites have given confirmation to terrified mariners who describe seeing freak waves as tall as 10-storey buildings, the European Space Agency (ESA) said.

"Rogue waves" have been the anecdotal cause behind scores of sinkings of vessels as large as container ships and supertankers over the past two decades.

But evidence to support this has been sketchy, and many marine scientists have clung to statistical models that say monstrous deviations from the normal sea state only occur once every thousand years.

Testing this promise, ESA tasked two of its Earth-scanning satellites, ERS-1 and ERS-2, to monitor the oceans with their radar.

The radars send back "imagettes" -- a picture of the sea surface in a rectangle measuring 10 by five kilometers (six by 2.5 miles) that is taken every 200 kms (120 miles).

Around 30,000 separate "imagettes" were taken by the two satellites in a three-week project, MaxWave, that was carried out in 2001.

Even though the research period was brief, the satellites identified more than 10 individual giant waves around the globe that measured more than 25 metres (81.25 feet) in height, ESA said in a press release.

The waves exist "in higher numbers than anyone expected," said Wolfgang Rosenthal, senior scientist with the GKSS Research Centre in Geesthacht, Germany, who pored over the data.

"The next step is to analyse if they can be forecasted," he said.

Ironically, the research coincided with two "rogue wave" incidents in which two tourist cruisers, the Bremen and the Caledonian Star, had their bridge windows smashed by 30-metre (100-feet) monsters in the South Atlantic.

The Bremen was left drifting without navigation or propulsion for two hours after the hit.

In 1995, the British cruise liner Queen Elizabeth II encountered a 29-metre (94.25-feet) wall of water during a hurricane in the North Atlantic.

Its captain, Ronald Warwick, likened it to "the White Cliffs of Dover."

In the next phase of research, a project called Wave Atlas will use two years of "imagettes" to create a worldwide atlas of rogue wave events and carry out statistical analyses, ESA said.

The goal is to find out how these strange, cataclysmic phenomena may be generated by ocean eddies and currents or by the collision of weather fronts, and which regions of the seas may be most at risk.

Finding out could help ship architects and the designers of oil rigs and their operators to skirt the menace.

--------------------

Edited by Papaver (07/22/04 01:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGeordi_La_Forge
Home Wrecker -DBK
Female User Gallery

Loc: African Confederation, Ea...
Re: Mapping the un-mappable... [Re: Papaver]
    #2915651 - 07/22/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'll map your mom

--------------------

Invisiblesmurfette
cubie cutie

#2915671 - 07/22/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'd surf that.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Mapping the un-mappable... [Re: Geordi_La_Forge]
    #2915679 - 07/22/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Geordi_La_Forge said:
I'll map your mom

I've already mapped your mom, and I've been selling the maps to bus-loads of japanese tourists down on hollywood boulevard... :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleGeordi_La_Forge
Home Wrecker -DBK
Female User Gallery

Loc: African Confederation, Ea...
    #2915704 - 07/22/04 01:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, my mom likes getting mapped, and she loves the japs. Thanks

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub