Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

AFGHANISTAN (for alex)
    #2124656 - 11/20/03 10:56 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

continued from DEA global authority

did you read the article you posted?

Read it again. This time pay attention.

i've read it several times. the earliest mention of CIA involvement is july 3, 1979.

from the article:

"According to the official version of history, the CIA assistance to the Mujahideen began during 1980, i.e. after the Soviet army had invaded Afghanistan on December 24, 1979. But the reality, kept secret until now, is very different: it was July 3, 1979 when President Carter signed the first directive on the clandestine assistance to opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul."

the soviet-assisted coup which brought taraki to power took place on on april 27, 1978.

what i said before was that the soviets were involved from the beginning. you then said that the CIA was too. let's make this perfectly clear:

beginning of soviet involvement: earlier than april 27, 1978
beginning of US involvement: later than july 3, 1979

i don't know and neither do you. the fact that the resistance was so widespread is certainly something i think is a good indicator.

Strange. I've never heard you make this argument about the widespread resistance to the US in Iraq. You always insist the Iraqis want us there. Strange how your "logic" twists and turns in the wind.

when the iraqi resistance takes control of iraq's countryside, is killing upwards of 500 US soldiers a day, and is over a hundred thousand men strong, like the mujahidin in were in afghanistan, there will be room for comparison.

are you honestly disputing the fact that the taliban was openly harboring terrorists that were openly attacking americans?

This is your justification for wars of aggression? Are you serious?

the FACT is that the taliban was OPENLY and harboring terrorists who were OPENLY attacking US nationals. the US asked the taliban to hand them over... the UN asked the taliban to hand them over... they refused.

they attacked us first and were pledging to continue attacking us. it was NOT a war of aggression. it was NOT unprovoked.

we're talking about the soviet union's 1979 invasion of afghanistan

Well we're talking about a little more than that - your posts have grown increasingly hysterical posting figures about how many Afghans died. Are you now saying they all died in 1979?

i believe i mentioned it no more than twice.

how can an invasion more than 20 years later by the united states have ANYTHING to do with the causes for the soviet invasion?

I never said it did. Once again, try and address what I actually post instead of what you imagine I post.

your original claim was that the russians invaded afghanistan by request of the afghani government. i disputed it. your statement about the US and karzai was irrelevent... just wanted to point that out. i'm glad you agree.

I'm pointing out the errors in your logic. If Russia invades Afghanistan to install a puppet regime you are outraged, if America does exactly the same thing you are silent. Why should we trust a word you say on the Russian invasion if you are so obviously biased and blind to history?

1. hamid karzai was elected by the traditional afghani tribal council, the loya jirga. no americans sat on the council, nor did they select people to sit on the council. babrak was actually directly installed to power by the soviets.

2. our invasion, unlike the soviet invasion, was not unprovoked. the taliban was openly and defiantly harboring terrorists who were attacking americans and promising to kill more.

and even if both of these were false, it would not support your case that the soviets invaded afghanistan by request.

*edited for typo

Edited by Anonymous (11/20/03 07:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion