Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Drugs eyed in death of popular student
    #2119620 - 11/18/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2003/11/18/drugs_eyed_in_death_of_popular_student/

Drugs eyed in death of popular student
By Douglas Belkin, Globe Staff,
and Emma Stickgold Globe Correspondent, 11/18/2003

A Brandeis University rugby player ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms in Gloucester on Saturday, prompting him to "flip out," slash his neck, and throw himself out a third-story condominium, a law enforcement official said yesterday. The student died hours later.

Eliezer Schwartz was "a stable kid" with no known suicidal tendencies when he took the drugs, said the official, who asked not to be identified. Schwartz died after surgery at Addison Gilbert Hospital.

The 21-year-old finance major was with four friends when he grabbed a serrated kitchen knife and began slashing and puncturing the right side of his neck, the law enforcement official said. One of Schwartz's friends tried to stop him, but after a brief struggle Schwartz jumped off the balcony.

Investigators do not suspect foul play, Essex County District Attorney John Blodgett said yesterday. Gloucester police declined to comment.

Blodgett said yesterday, "We're looking at drug use among the participants at the party, as well as who owned the apartment." Dennis Nealon, a spokesman at Brandeis, said, "The university cannot comment about what took place in Gloucester."

A resident at the complex, who also asked not to be identified, said he heard Schwartz land and rushed outside. By the time he got outside, Schwartz was "screaming help me, help me," and had dragged himself about 30 feet into the street. He was bleeding profusely from several slash and puncture wounds in his neck, the resident said.

Another neighbor reached Schwartz first and pressed a towel to his neck to stanch the blood, but it quickly soaked through.

Within about 30 seconds of stopping in the street Schwartz passed out, the resident of the complex said. "It was awful, awful," the resident said. "He was bleeding like crazy."

The mood was grim yesterday at Brandeis, as news spread of Schwartz's death. A well-respected senior with many friends and several family members who recently graduated from Brandeis, Schwartz was well-known at the university, where he was captain of the rugby team.

"People are very, very sad," said Alwina Bennett, assistant dean of student life. "A steady stream of students coming by, calling, e-mailing me. People feel overwhelmed and in need of some reassurance. There's been a limited amount of information and that's a little frustrating."

Schwartz's funeral is scheduled for 10:30 this morning in Manhattan, and dozens of students crammed into cars yesterday to drive down together. An e-mail was circulated among faculty yesterday to be lenient with students who missed classes.

"Pretty much the whole [rugby] team already left to go down for the funeral," said David Radell, the team's president. "Elie was just an amazing guy. He brought us all together."

Reached at his home yesterday in New York, Schwartz's father, Rabbi Gershon Schwartz said he worked through tears to write his son's eulogy. The third of four children, Eliezer Schwartz started his first business in high school and was running a successful commercial website selling clothing to college students when he died. He hoped to continue that business when he graduated next year, his father said.

"We found a business plan on his dorm room marked 2004," Schwartz said. "I have no doubt he would have succeeded at that, as with everything else he did. He was organized and passionate without being in your face. He was not judgmental of people, and he was very easy to get along with."

Schwartz said he didn't know the circumstances surrounding his son's death.

"I want to remember his life," he said, and then began to talk about his son's mischievous sense of humor. A talented artist, last year Eliezer Schwartz drew a charcoal picture of his father sitting on the couch in his T-shirt and shorts holding a remote control "that really captured me," Rabbi Schwartz said. Above the sofa was a picture of the picture. And inside that picture was another picture of the picture. "He drew it in there because he knew, he just knew we'd hang it above the sofa," Schwartz said yesterday as he began to laugh quietly and then to sob.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Drugs eyed in death of popular student [Re: motaman]
    #2119643 - 11/18/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

jesus... how does that happen?

i wonder what kind of person he was. i wonder what he was thinking when he did it.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Drugs eyed in death of popular student [Re: ]
    #2120161 - 11/18/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thats really sad...I wonder what else there is to the story.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Drugs eyed in death of popular student [Re: DailyPot]
    #2120978 - 11/18/03 08:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No shit...i mean, i could understand flipping out under the influence of a psychedelic, but this guy was in the presence of friends. What would he be thinking? What else was going on in his life?...something with this guy was not right, but this is a hell of a way to show it...very very sad.
Stay frosty
(and don't play with knifes while tripping)
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2120979 - 11/18/03 08:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I bet that there is something that was not mentioned.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

#2120986 - 11/18/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

all this on s hrooms? how much did he dose? etc. i wish they gave more info :|

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Brandeis student told pals he 'didn't want to live' [Re: motaman]
    #2122162 - 11/19/03 08:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.neponsetvalleydailynews.com/news/local_regional/brandeis11192003.htm

Brandeis student told pals he 'didn't want to live'

By Laurel J. Sweet and Tom Farmer / Boston Herald
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

A Brandeis University senior high on hallucinogenic mushrooms told party-goers he "didn't want to live anymore" right before slashing his own throat and plunging off a third-story balcony, a source said yesterday.

"He actually got up after he hit the ground but the neck wound was really bad," the source said, explaining that Eliezer Schwartz, 21, the son of an accomplished Manhattan rabbi, severed his own carotid artery with a serrated blade.

While Schwartz's death had not been ruled a suicide as of yesterday, Steve O'Connell, spokesman for Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett, said criminal charges are not likely to result from the episode.

Schwartz was one of four children. His brother, Moshe, and his sister, Avital Schwartz, are both Brandeis graduates. Their father, author Rabbi Gershon Schwartz, is a Fall River native.

Funeral services were held yesterday in New York. Schwartz, a finance major, was captain of Brandeis' men's rugby football team. He died Sunday after attending a party in Gloucester on Saturday with five other people.

Hallucinogenic dried mushrooms -- also known as "caps" and "'shrooms" -- are "not something we deal with all that often," said special agent Tony Pettigrew of the Boston division of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, "but it is not a harmless substance and in this case had tragic results."

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Use of mushrooms is uncommon [Re: motaman]
    #2125086 - 11/20/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/news/local_regional/brandeis11202003.htm

Students: Use of mushrooms is uncommon: School officials say they have not heard of such drug use at Brandeis

By Sasha Brown / Tribune Staff Writer
Thursday, November 20, 2003

WALTHAM -- While Gloucester Police investigate the possible use of hallucinogenic mushrooms at a party last weekend that ended with Brandeis student Eliezer Schwartz leaping to his death, students and staff said the incident does not indicate a rise in the use of such drugs.

"Once in a while we get (mushrooms), but not very often" said Gloucester Police Detective Sgt. Mike Crippen, adding, "these kids were not local."

Locally, many students felt it was an anomaly.

"I was surprised to hear about drugs of that nature being a possibility," said Brandeis senior Ken Gantz. "It definitely has not been a visible problem on campus."

"In my circle of friends, very few people do drugs or drink," said Brandeis junior Igor Pedan. "But (mushrooms) are pretty easily accessible on campus."

Even so, Pedan said, he would not necessarily define it as a problem.

"It is a problem for some people," said Pedan. "It is not like it is around every day."

At Bentley, most students claimed they had not seen hallucinogenic mushrooms on campus.

"I have never heard of anyone having 'shrooms on campus," said Dave Sutton, a Bentley sophomore. "I don't see it as much of a problem."

Director of Public Affairs Janet Mendelsohn said there have been no reported cases of hallucinogenic mushroom use this year at Bentley.

"There is just no indication that there is a rise in the Boston area," she said. If there ever was a threat, the campus drug and alcohol educator would send an e-mail to the student body warning of the effects of such drugs, she said.

Many students said they have no idea where such drugs could be found.

"I would not know the first place to go," said Sutton.

Freshman Charlotte Thomas agreed. "I would not know where to get that stuff. Everybody drinks here, but nothing else."

--------------------

Offlinef8L
Triumph

Re: Use of mushrooms is uncommon [Re: motaman]
    #2127322 - 11/21/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Sadly, the guy who ingested the mushrooms is my friends' girlfriends' best friend :[ I heard about this yesterday from him-- it is a real tragedy. I will try to find out any more information, but I think what is posted above is all anyone knows at this point.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Use of mushrooms is uncommon [Re: f8L]
    #2127352 - 11/21/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry to hear this f8L.  :frown: 

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Drugs eyed in death of popular student [Re: motaman]
    #2143836 - 11/29/03 05:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Believe it or not, popular kids sometimes wish they were dead. I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, but sometimes they're not as happy as they seem. I believe the shrooms just set off what he was feeling for a long time.
It's a shame though, that someone who appeared to be getting through life well, really wasn't. Truth hurts sometimes :frown: 

OfflineCultyVader
Dark SporeApprentice

Re: Use of mushrooms is uncommon [Re: f8L]
    #2199792 - 12/24/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

did you ever find out anything about this?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies