Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Go Georgia!
    #2033486 - 10/22/03 07:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

State won't give driver data to Matrix

By DUANE D. STANFORD and JOEY LEDFORD
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Georgia will not send confidential driver records such as citation histories, addresses and license plate numbers to Matrix, the controversial multistate crime-fighting database, Gov. Sonny Perdue ordered Tuesday.

A letter from the state attorney general Monday sealed the project's fate in Georgia. Thurbert Baker said current state law would not allow officials to transmit records for millions of Georgia drivers to a Florida company building the super database. The only way to fully participate in Matrix would be to change state law, a move Perdue said Tuesday he was unwilling to make.

"I have held serious concerns about the privacy issues involved with this project all along and have decided it is in the best interest of the people of Georgia that our state have no further participation in the Matrix pilot project," Perdue said Tuesday in a prepared statement.

However, the statement was the first time Perdue or his representatives had spoken publicly about privacy concerns. The governor's previous concerns about Matrix centered on cost.

"We believe in Georgia people are innocent until proven guilty," Perdue said later Tuesday during a press conference in Cobb County, alluding to concerns by Matrix opponents that its information could be abused.

Even though Baker's letter to the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety said it would be legal to transmit Georgia's vehicle tag and title databases, Perdue decided not to send that information, either.

Georgia already has transmitted the state's criminal, prison and sex offense records to Matrix, and those will remain in the database, Perdue said.

"This information is relevant to the crime-fighting purpose," said the governor. "But personal information of law-abiding citizens is not."

Intelligence analysts at the GBI, lead agency for the state's involvement in Matrix, have been accessing the database since August as part of a pilot project. Spokesman John Bankhead said the agency would continue using Matrix to investigate crime.

Bankhead said the agency would not, however, attempt to talk Perdue out of his decision to withhold additional records.

GBI officials had assured Perdue that participation in the one-year, federally funded Matrix pilot program would cost Georgia very little, the governor said.

But the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety, which maintains state driver's license records, estimated that the state would have to pay at least $318,000 to prepare and transmit the records. A federal grant for Matrix wouldn't have covered those start-up costs. In addition, access to Matrix would have cost Georgia $1.7 million a year after the pilot project ended, GBI officials said.

The GBI also had wrongly assured the governor that opponents' privacy concerns were unfounded because the database offered law enforcement officials only what "was already commercially available," Perdue said Tuesday. It turned out most of the driver's license data Georgia wanted to send to Matrix was confidential under state law.

Georgia privacy advocates were elated about Perdue's decision.

"The Matrix was a terrible invasion of privacy, a violation of the Bill of Rights," said state Rep. Warren Massey (R-Winder). "If we give up all these rights to protect ourselves from terrorists, the terrorists have won."

Former Georgia Republican congressman and U.S. Attorney Bob Barr praised both Perdue and Baker. "This is a victory for civil libertarians, both conservative and liberal, and for all those concerned about the constant erosion of our individual right to privacy," he said.

"This would have been a computer hacker's dream," said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia. "I am relieved to know the governor has reconsidered and has decided not to go forward rashly with a plan that had not been fully researched or fully funded."

Rep. Brian Joyce (R-Lookout Mountain) said it would be wrong to brand those who oppose such data mining as anti-police.

"We've struck a blow for freedom," he said.

Matrix -- Multistate Anti-terrorism Information Exchange -- is being built under contract by a private company, Boca Raton, Fla.-based Seisint, which pitched the idea for the database shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The company's proprietary technology will mix confidential law enforcement and other government data with information from public and private databases already compiled by Seisint. The database will allow criminal investigators to create a comprehensive dossier on individuals within minutes.

Seven other states remain in the Matrix project, which is being run by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. It originally involved 14 states. Each state is contributing or has pledged varying amounts of data, depending on what its laws allow.

Hooray!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefalcon
In the green

Re: Go Georgia! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2033571 - 10/22/03 08:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Good for Georgia.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Go Georgia! [Re: falcon]
    #2033993 - 10/22/03 10:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yay!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2034486 - 10/23/03 01:03 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

They're actually calling it the Matrix?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Go Georgia! [Re: Phluck]
    #2034624 - 10/23/03 01:50 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No shit.

The Matrix.

The Governator.

The P.A.T.R.I.O.T. A.C.T.

A OK USA

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Go Georgia! [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2034678 - 10/23/03 02:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's like a fucking movie, isnt it?

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Go Georgia! [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2034800 - 10/23/03 02:46 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

...with bad actors. :wink: 

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2035264 - 10/23/03 06:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I wonder if Michigan is in the matrix? hmmmmm i was wondering what these fuckin' tubes were for.....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Go Georgia! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2035727 - 10/23/03 12:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The Matrix?

is this Total Information Awareness with a new name?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Go Georgia! [Re: afoaf]
    #2035764 - 10/23/03 12:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i think you'd be right...it always makes me nervous when you have to give out your personal info.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion