Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineclam_dude
stranger in astrange land

Loc: twilight zone
my mad ramblings about democracy
    #2011360 - 10/15/03 03:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I put this post in here instead of in the politics forum because its just me rambling, and not really debating something.

Alright, time for some insight...

I think that the "democracratic" system in Canada, but more so in the US is outgrageous. Once every 4 years, we get a chance to vote for one out of three parties. In the US its one out of two (One that's really far right, and another that's just a little bit right). Maybe a better system would be to allow for individuals to take part in the decision making that effects them, their community, and their country. However, this brings up the question about wheather the public would be good at making important decisions. Maybe it depends on how they are educated. And I don't mean education as in school itself, but all of the things that educate you in life. The sad thing is that these days a huge, and don't get me wrong I mean huge, percentage of people's education is through the media.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but as it stands right now, the media is controlled by those fortunate people on this planet who have lots of money. Alright, I am starting to deviate from my original train of thought.

I'm not saying that I know how to run a democracy, but it brings up the question about what is a true democracy.
The sad thing is how the first world nations, esspecially the US, throw the word "democracy" around to show how they are such a fair place. Really, the parties who stand a chance in office are the ones that can afford to put advertisments on television and whatnot. They are the ones who get the publicity. I mean, look at what is happening in California. It's fucking sick. That's right. Not healthy. Sick!! There are like 5 famous actors, and that's including the stripper and Arnold Shwarzonager, however that's spelt, who are running to become the leader of one the most powerfull states in the US.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that actors can't be smart people, but the ratio of actors with important political power to non actors with important political power is kinda funny if you ask me. I mean, pres bush is in power because of his father and this has happened many times throughout history. Coincodence? I don't think so.

So. Did I vote? No because I was not of age in the last election. I am, however, of age now and will vote in the next election. Too bad I can vote, but can't go buy a beer. Fuck that sucks. I guess I'll just go buy a gun.

Sorry for the mad rampage

--------------------
"I would like to thank god for making me an atheist" - Ricky Gervais

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinetrendalM
tangential derivation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: my mad ramblings about democracy [Re: clam_dude]
    #2011422 - 10/15/03 03:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

From U. S. Army Training Manual No. 2000-25:

Democracy, n.: A government of the masses. Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of direct expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic... negating property rights. Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Result is demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, [chaos].

--------------------
The story book's been read
And every line believed
Curriculum's been set
Logic is a threat
Reason searched and seized

BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: my mad ramblings about democracy [Re: trendal]
    #2011431 - 10/15/03 03:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the united states of america is a republic...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineclam_dude
stranger in astrange land

Loc: twilight zone
Re: my mad ramblings about democracy [Re: gnrm23]
    #2011575 - 10/15/03 04:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yah I know, but it is always described as a democracy as if we have a perfect democratic system.

--------------------
"I would like to thank god for making me an atheist" - Ricky Gervais

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub