Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Damn
    #1995485 - 10/09/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've been playing drums for about 4 years now and had recently been in a drum competition put on by Guitar Center. Basically, you show your shit for 3 minutes and the winner goes on yadda yadda.I managed to get into the finals and was really excited about it. When the day finally came to play again(two days ago) I realized I wasn't going to win before I even played. I was fine with that, but after it was all over, it turns out I got last place which I thought was total bullshit. I thought I did way better than at least two of the guys there.. All of my close friends were there and I felt I was humilitated in front of them. I've been down about it since then and really can't stop thinking about it....I've lost my urge to even play drums now, I just feel very uninspired. I really hope this passes. If I don't do something in music with my life I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do.
I just had to get that off my chest.....

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Damn [Re: Harbinger]
    #1995503 - 10/09/03 10:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I remeber the first, and only, time I've come in last in a drum competition. My percussion group worked very hard everyday after school and we put in really hard work. We didn't have good costumes or anything, and when we showed up for the competition (we had been rehearsing for months just to play at this single one) we played fine... but everyone else was dressed in tuxes, or carribean clothes, all top notch, all very fitting. We came in last place, the judges handed out trophies to the winners... they handed out group leader a brown paper bag, which we opened to fin a wind-up tin chicken toy. Talk about adding insult to injury! We all cried, it was really sad.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Damn [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #1998602 - 10/10/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Man. That is really sad.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #1999553 - 10/11/03 04:08 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hmmmm....well, i dont know man, im not very musically inclined so i dont really know how that feels....but i might have something of value to you anyway, same type of thing, different perspective.

so around the 4th grade or so, my friend got into wrestling. i watched him at a tournament, and fell in love with it.
i wanted to learn to wrestle. so, in the 6th grade (it wasnt till 2 years later that my school would allow me to join the sport. there was an age limit)

i sucked. :frown: its ok, its my first year, ill get better. so i practiced hard, and in the 7th grade still sucked :frown: hmmm...ok, well its more practice, and this time in the off season too....yup, 8th grade, still havent won a single match. but, signs of improvememt :thumbup:

anyway, freshman year yikes :tongue: you mean i got to wrestle seniors and shit? :shocked:

anyway, to make a long story short, the end of my sophomore year my wrestling coach was trying to get me to go out for soccer or some stupid shit...but i kept with it and in my junior year i found some sort of groove....i placed at 3 of the tournaments we went to, including 2nd in my regional (this was expected of anyone...the guy needed to beat for first was a guy named nick frost...bad ass...ended up 4 time state champ wresting for ASU now) my senior year i placed at 4 tournaments, including 1st at regionals (had another bad ass to beat, this time a guy named kevin concannon. he was ranked second in the state...i wrestled him in the quarterfinals and beat him 2-0) yea...then i choked at state, one match from placing to a guy i beat 3 times in the regular season.... :thumbdown: :tongue:

moral of the story? if your determined to do/be somethin, stick with it. i mean, i wasnt mr badd ass wrestler or nothin, but i got to a point where i could hold my own against those who were, and who knows, had i stuck with it a little longer into college....dont stop doing something you love just cuz you lose one lil competition....suck it up, practice hard and prepare for the next. in the wrestling room there was this gay little inspirational poster on the wall that said...success is built on a foundation of faliure. my senior year my coach gave it to me, with the words "to a man with a huge foundation" in marker at the bottom.... :tongue: anyway....enough bout my wresting days

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
Re: Damn [Re: wrestler_az]
    #1999721 - 10/11/03 08:29 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Competitions are lame, you dont need to prove to yourself you are good or not good. Just redouble your practicing and forget about it.

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #2001952 - 10/12/03 05:24 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've played with quite a few drummers and the best one by far was the least technically accomplished. And just look at Ringo Starr.. even Paul McCartney was technically better, but I rate Ringo as one of the greatest drummers ever.

Competitions are lame^^^... exactly. They generally judge on how hard, fast and intricate you can hit, but ask any instrumentalist/singer whats more important in a drummer and they'll say feeling, style and stablity way over how technically good they are.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #2009701 - 10/14/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Don't stress it. It's just a competition, and doesn't really mean you CAN'T play. It just means that the judges thought these other people had a higher level of skill. It's their opinion, and when it comes to music, you're never going to satisfy everyone. I wouldn't despair just because 3 or 4 people didn't think you were very good.
My friend recently lost a Battle of the Bands - they made it to the semis, where they lost. He was really gutted, but I said to him "It's just a competition - it doesn't mean shit when it comes to the world of music.". Think about a lot of your favourite bands, and then have a look at some of what the critics have said, or even what was said about them when they first started out. I bet a lot of the really successful and amazing bands were shat on by critics and such. Believe in yourself - music shouldn't be a competitive thing! It's just a muscle flexing/cock measuring bullshit event.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom