Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face jail
    #1963585 - 09/29/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Bush officials who leaked name of US spy 'for revenge' could face jail
By Andrew Buncombe in Washington

29 September 2003

The Justice Department is investigating whether Bush administration officials broke the law by revealing the identity of an undercover CIA operative whose husband disparaged claims by the White House that Iraq was seeking to develop nuclear weapons.

George Tenet, the director of the CIA, has sent a memo to the department asking it to find out who revealed Valerie Plame's identity in July.

Ms Plame, a weapons expert, is the wife of the former US ambassador Joe Wilson. It is alleged that her identity was revealed in retaliation for comments he made about Iraq's alleged scheme to buy uranium from Niger to develop nuclear weapons. Mr Wilson, who travelled to Niger to investigate the claims, toldThe Independent on Sunday that he believed they were false.

Ms Plame's identity was first mentioned by a syndicated newspaper columnist, who said his sources were "two administration officials".

Yesterday The Washington Post reported that the two officials had telephoned at least six journalists and identified Ms Plame. "Clearly it was meant purely and simply for revenge," a White House official said.

Mr Wilson's comments caused the White House to admit that "16 words" in President George Bush's State of the Union address last January which claimed Iraq was seeking uranium from Africa were incorrect.

Mr Wilson, who went to Africa at the request of the CIA, has never confirmed his wife's position. He said previously that if she were an operative, "naming her this way would have compromised every operation, every relationship, every network with which she had been associated in her entire career. This is the stuff of Kim Philby and Aldrich Ames."

Mr Wilson said yesterday: "I have always said that the desire to implicate my wife in this was intended to intimidate others from coming forward. The idea that someone would do this is an anathema to me and should be an anathema to a president who came to office promising to restore honour to the White House." Naming a undercover operative is a federal offence which carries penalties of $50,000 (?30,000) and up to 10 years jail.

After Ms Plame was named, the CIA launched a widescale investigation to ascertain whether any of her overseas contacts had been put at risk. That investigation continues.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face jail [Re: Zahid]
    #1963595 - 09/29/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Naming a undercover operative is a federal offence which carries penalties of $50,000 (?30,000) and up to 10 years jail.

whoever leaked the name should get the full penalty. i wonder how high up order to leak the name came from.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face jail [Re: ]
    #1963631 - 09/29/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Straight from the mouth of the man who wrote the article....

'Nobody in the Bush administration called me to leak this. In July I was interviewing a senior administration official on Ambassador Wilson's report when he told me the trip was inspired by his wife, a CIA employee working on weapons of mass destruction. Another senior official told me the same thing. As a professional journalist with 46 years experience in Washington I do not reveal confidential sources. When I called the CIA in July to confirm Mrs. Wilson's involvement in the mission for her husband -- he is a former Clinton administration official -- they asked me not to use her name, but never indicated it would endanger her or anybody else. According to a confidential source at the CIA, Mrs. Wilson was an analyst, not a spy, not a covert operator, and not in charge of undercover operatives'...

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face jail [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1963655 - 09/29/03 06:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

wait... so exactly what happened here?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1963764 - 09/29/03 06:55 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

To summarize.....

reporter does interview
during interview a name of a CIA analyst comes out.
later another source speaks the same name.
reporter calls cia to confirm employment of said analyst..
cia confirms but asks reporter not to use name.
reporter uses name.
wackos blame bush.
hysteria ensues both here and in the media.
dinosaurs found dead, comet heading towards earth, we are all going to die, Bush gets the blame.  :wink:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face jail [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1963806 - 09/29/03 07:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hmm. why did they say the name though?

Anonymous

#1963811 - 09/29/03 07:08 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i mean... if she was an undercover operative, they shouldn't have been spouting off her name to some reporter.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1963853 - 09/29/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
i mean... if she was an undercover operative, they shouldn't have been spouting off her name to some reporter.

True enough, they were idiots.

Sadly, people have been speaking when they shouldn't for a very long time.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1963863 - 09/29/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

whether they were being malicious or just moronic, if they gave away the name of an undercover agent, they should face the criminal penalties described for such an act.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1964579 - 09/29/03 11:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

bush is going to jail for this

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face jail [Re: Zahid]
    #1964819 - 09/30/03 12:43 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

damn these fuckers act with impunity.

and whats worse is that we have Mr. John "I AM the LAW" Ashcroft investigating this. hello? a conflict of interest?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: 1stimer]
    #1965123 - 09/30/03 03:41 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

1stimer said:
bush is going to jail for this

Right. Sure.

Any proof he was involved? Or do you have another reason for such a ridiculous statement?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: ]
    #1965373 - 09/30/03 08:18 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

mushmaster writes:

Who has said she was an undercover operative? It is not against the law to reveal that a generic CIA employee is a CIA employee.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: Phred]
    #1965423 - 09/30/03 08:40 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

that's why i said "if".

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1966274 - 09/30/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

this had nothing to do with bush.

it wreaks of karl rove...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: afoaf]
    #1966332 - 09/30/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Just hearsay at the moment, but it certainly looks that way afoaf:

http://atrios.blogspot.com/2003_09_28_atrios_archive.html#106494896909629277

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1967291 - 09/30/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
this had nothing to do with bush.

it wreaks of karl rove...

I tend to agree. Of course that doesn't mean he did it. I wish I was half as smart as that guy. Love him or hate him you gotta admit he is one smart cooky.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Bush officials who leaked name of U.S. spy could face ja [Re: shakta]
    #1967928 - 09/30/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

cookie*

if think kicking other people in the nuts, figuratively speaking,
is smart, then I pity you.

Karl Rove is notoriously dirty and underhanded.

winning isn't everything...especially when you have to sacrifice
honor for it.

luvdem, some articles have cited that this was not just
Novak being a dumbass, this information was handed to
multiple other reporters in D.C. during the time period, but
he was the only one that used it.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1968693 - 10/01/03 03:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm well aware of that. As the man who did use it, who better than Novak to say WHY he used it and who did or did not ask him to.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#1969110 - 10/01/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

he can concoct all the whys he wants...it's
the who that is crux to this issue.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order