Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death
    #1891536 - 09/07/03 05:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/7371274p-8314993c.html

Diana Griego Erwin: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death

By Diana Griego Erwin -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Sunday, September 7, 2003

Mai Za Yang hopes teens and parents beyond Sacramento's McClatchy High will listen to her story. The 46-year-old Laotian immigrant and mother of 12 is grieving the loss of her son, Samuel Veu, 16. Friends and family say his Aug. 1 drug death proves that one mistake can kill.

An upbeat, hard-working kid who never troubled his parents, Sam erred that Friday night in trying hallucinogenic mushrooms, or "shrooms," at the urging of newer friends who gathered in Curtis Park, his family says. Close friends told the family it was Sam's only experience with drugs.

The "trip" was intense, and the other kids, freaked by his erratic driving, jumped out of his car at a stoplight; Sam never made it home. He was last seen shortly before 9 p.m. falling from the 59th Street overpass onto Highway 50. He was hit and killed, the first of three McClatchy seniors to die just before the start of the school year.

"The drug altered his mind and took his life," older sister Anna Veu said.

His mother blames herself. "You know this is my fault because I didn't tell him about the drugs. I want parents to tell their kids, don't do this. Even when you think you know your kid, they need reminding."

Yang said it never entered her mind because of who Sam was, a good and obedient son. He always studied, earned his own money and loved showing off his sisters, whom he thought "beautiful." A close friend told the family Sam feared drugs. New friends, though, were pressuring him to try them.

Stepping off an overpass sounds like suicide, but friends and family immediately rejected that. Even casual pals viewed him as a outgoing boy with an infectious smile and an eye on the future.

Kennedy was his home school, but he favored the demanding Humanities and International Studies Program so he rode the public bus to get to McClatchy, never asking for rides.

"Sometimes it rain really, really hard," Yang said, "and he's getting an umbrella, and I say, 'Sam, I can take you.' He say, 'OK. Thank you, Mom.' But he never ask."

"He was there for anybody who needed him," close friend Sarah Viducich said in a eulogy. Before he could drive, he carried her heavy backpack home for her daily, "and then he'd walk all alone back to the bus stop and usually miss the bus and have to wait another 30 minutes for the next one. But he did this uncomplainingly. He did it happily."

He worked the 5:30 a.m. weekend shift at IHOP on Florin Road to earn spending money, buy a car and avoid burdening his mother, who divorced three years ago and drives an ice cream truck. He bought parts to build his own computer.

This summer, he took two college classes to get them out of the way.

"Sam had everything to live for," Anna Veu said. "He was so excited about a lot of things. He'd just taken the SAT and ACT.

"These kids. You think they have everything together," she said. "These kids he was doing drugs with? These are smart kids from good, stable families. Honors students on tracks to college. Their parents have no idea."

The day he died, Sam awoke and helped his mother fix the air conditioner. About 11:30 a.m., he left to play tennis. His mother went to work. When she got back, Sam's racket and backpack were on the bed, and he'd gone out with friends.

His parents and siblings -- Sue, Tong, Xai, Anna, Annie, Rachel, Cheng, Chauyen, Patrick, Joseth and Michelle, ages 30 to 5 -- are devastated. "I want to tell kids: All it takes is one day mistake," Sam's mother said.

Although his brother Tong, 27, who also works at IHOP, learned of his death at 2 a.m., he waited the next morning for Sam's arrival at work.

"He waited and waited, 5:30, 6:30," Anna Veu said. "Finally, maybe at 8 or 9, he realized that Sam really wasn't coming."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: motaman]
    #1891561 - 09/07/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Some people just can't handle them...

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: TinMan]
    #1891664 - 09/07/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Driving on shrooms? Of course you're going to get yourself killed. This happens all the time with cars and booze, which is the like no.3 killer of people under 25. Nobody makes a big deal about booze though.

Sad story.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug dea [Re: Demiurge]
    #1892430 - 09/07/03 10:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i think the mom needs to take mushrooms

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: Demiurge]
    #1893421 - 09/08/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"The drug altered his mind and took his life," older sister Anna Veu said.

I think that should say

"He took the drug and his life"

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
...her son's driving while under the influence. [Re: Demiurge]
    #1893437 - 09/08/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

seriously. it's the dui talk that might have helped. i hate hearing of deaths attributed to irresponsibility with drugs. it makes the rest of us look bad.
i'm not saying he deserved what happened, but had he used common sense and not driven or better, prepared for his experience and not put himself into any dangerous situation things might have been different.

this makes me sad.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
    #1893445 - 09/08/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

it's dumb ass kids like this that are screwing the rest of us

--------------------
anything i might say is just something i heard from the voices in my head
uneasy1

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: uneasyone]
    #1895108 - 09/08/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've known two people personally that have died from doing stupid shit while drunk. I know nobody personally who has even hurt themselves on shrooms. Yet, alcohol is legal and shrooms are not. Not saying I want anyone to take my booze away, just making an obsevation.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleOctopusDr
Octi Doci

#1895297 - 09/08/03 05:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"These kids. You think they have everything together," she said. "These kids he was doing drugs with? These are smart kids from good, stable families. Honors students on tracks to college. Their parents have no idea."

They sound a lot like I did at that age. I must be lucky to have never jumped off an overpass or tried to drive while tripping. Thank God.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #1895858 - 09/08/03 08:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This just pisses me off. If he had the correct information when dosing he would know *not* to drive around on shrooms. Instead of teaching preventative and safe measures with drugs, people just stress 'don't do them', so if a kid does do them, he doesn't know what to expect, how to handle it, and what not to do.

The neglect of information killed that kid, not the shrooms.

-ShadeGirl

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: MOTH]
    #1897071 - 09/09/03 02:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It's the same kind of abstinence bullshit they push with sex education. In many states they won't teach kids about having safe sex and using condoms. They just tell them not to do it, or there will be horrible consequences. Well, of course the kids are going to have sex, and nobody told them about effective protection, so it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #1898602 - 09/09/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Exactly!!  I was thinking about that as I wrote my last post.  This stuff makes me sick.  Especially when they start pointing fingers, "Oh, it was the substance!  The substance killed him!  Nevermind that we are so frugal with our information that he had no idea if what he was doing was safe or not...but its the substance!!" 

Whatever.  :rolleyes: 

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug dea [Re: motaman]
    #1903866 - 09/11/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Although his brother Tong, 27, who also works at IHOP, learned of his death at 2 a.m., he waited the next morning for Sam's arrival at work.

"He waited and waited, 5:30, 6:30," Anna Veu said. "Finally, maybe at 8 or 9, he realized that Sam really wasn't coming."

Tong had Alzheimer's?

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
    #1904734 - 09/11/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i agree ellemy it's the choices we make not the substances we use that hurt people

--------------------
anything i might say is just something i heard from the voices in my head
uneasy1

OfflineKenny Bus
The enlightend

Loc: ontario
    #1904747 - 09/11/03 09:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

sad story  :frown: i agrea this wouldnt have happend if the money the goevernment put towards the war on drugs was put towards drug education and research, instead of miseducation. hows that anti pot commercial go? you might smoke up and shoot your friend in the head? well shit if they're lying to us about weed, cause almost everybodies tried it and knows that shits not gunna happen, then they're probably lying to us about coke and heroin 2!

--------------------
KB

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
    #1908110 - 09/12/03 12:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Every teen should visit the shroomery!! If some dumb fuck tries to blame us for trying to help we can direct them to the main page :nut:

"This site was created to help stop the spread of dangerous misinformation related to magic mushrooms, so that people can make intelligent, informed decisions about what they put in their bodies. We made an effort to consolidate the plethora of information about magic mushrooms available on the World Wide Web into an all-encompassing source of accurate facts, and we think we can safely say that this page will be the only reference you'll need for mushroom information"
-The Shroomery

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: Glacius]
    #1911740 - 09/13/03 02:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Whenever I hear about someone talking about mushrooms or psychedelics, or drugs in general for that matter, I usually hear some misinformations. I ALWAYS point them to the shroomery and erowid immediately.
I'm a stark advocate of knowledge, and am very surprised that more people don't research what they are taking...

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: Kenny Bus]
    #1913395 - 09/13/03 05:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kenny Bus said:
well shit if they're lying to us about weed, cause almost everybodies tried it and knows that shits not gunna happen, then they're probably lying to us about coke and heroin 2! 

I'm starting to wonder that....

Thats how most kids think. Wow, you've tryed pot before? Thats cool how you didn't die or kill anyone...and you still speak and act normal...thats strange...I guess everything I've ever been told be DARE was bullshit :crazy:

Offtopic but doesn't it bother anyone else how they told us a tomato is a vegitable and then years later they teach us its a fruit? :mad: 

InvisibleLeonopoly
Stranger

Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: DailyPot]
    #1924366 - 09/17/03 04:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

duh... don't fucking drive on shrooms... that doesn't even sound like any fun... dumb

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Re: Mother wants others to heed lesson of her son's drug death [Re: Leonopoly]
    #1935871 - 09/20/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Vegetable is not a scientific term. A fruit is. It means the fruitbody of a plant (or fungi), or basically any kind of seed covering. Lots of vegetables are fruits. A pepper is a fruit, ocra is a fruit, mushrooms are a fruit. Vegetable is just kind of an all encompassing term for any kind of edible plant material, except for sweet fruits like bananas or apples. It's pretty informal though. Nobody should be telling you that a tomato isn't a vegetable because it is, but it is a fruit too.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates