Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTequila][boY
Crackin'Skulls
Stunted Myc?
    #1806202 - 08/12/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A guy I know has a tub of popcorn mixed with straw and cased with 50/50 (Hydrated)Lime, approx. 1.5' x 2.5' and 4 inches deep.

He told me that the straw was colonized very quickly with no problems but when he added the casing mix, there was a small hitch. The substrate was approx. 3 inches and the casing layer was just under 1 inch. When it was applied the myc seemed to colonize it fine until some reached the top (maybe 1/8 of the surface was covered, if that) and everything seemed to stop. For 8 days now the myc has not moved at all and just this morning he woke up to find 1 single mushroom (although a fairly nice sized one)growing right in the center of the tub. There are no contams that he can see and he has a humidifier running fresh filtered air into the terrarium (water is only added to the humidifier if the humidity drops) in conjunction with 2 daily "fannings" (once before, and once after work). The temperature has remained between 78 and 80 at all times in the terrarium. Something that also may be of note, he covered the tub with plastic over the straw/grain mix but put nothing on when the casing mix was added.
His main question is, does the myc need the Co2 to continue colonizing the surface and was the early introduction of fresh air the reason for it stop where it did?
Accually, I guess more importantly, now that a mushy has sprouted, is there anything he can do or change or add to encourage the myc to grow alittle more?
Thanx for any and all help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTequila][boY
Crackin'Skulls
Re: Stunted Myc? [Re: Tequila][boY]
    #1806418 - 08/12/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Something else I was curious about, does the lime help protect against contams? I tried making some PF Jars with lime added and I never got any germination OR contamination.
Oh yea, and is a casing layer absolutly nessisary? Could I just pin the mushies off of the substrate?

OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

#1806625 - 08/12/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I can answer only the lime question

Yes, it protects against contams, the high ph kills 'em off, but it also kills spores... but what it doens't kill is myc

OfflineTequila][boY
Crackin'Skulls
Re: Stunted Myc? [Re: Ravinoff]
    #1808985 - 08/13/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I try to use the lime very sparingly (about 1/4 cup per 2 or 3 cups of verm and peat), is it possible to add to much lime where as the myc would be affected also?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1809107 - 08/13/03 11:34 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

is it possible to add to much lime where as the myc would be affected also?

Yes.

Cubies prefer a pH of 7 to 7.5. You need to get a pH test kit to make sure that your casing is not too alkaline, which my friend suspects. Test kits are not expensive and are available at most garden shops.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineTequila][boY
Crackin'Skulls
Re: Stunted Myc? [Re: dog]
    #1809150 - 08/13/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Would the PH level be the same after pasturization as it had been before? My concern would be to try and protect the casing mix from contam by not testing it afterwards, although maybe that would be less of a problem then I'm picturing.

P.S. The LONE mushy (yea, guess there was only one) is growing very well. This is quite depressing since as I could have had MANY mushies growing very well if I had proper myc penentration. Oh well, I suck.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1809154 - 08/13/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I try to use the lime very sparingly (about 1/4 cup per 2 or 3 cups of verm and peat

If you're using hydrated lime, that amount is WAY, WAY too much. My 50/50 starts out with a pH around 4.5, and just a half teaspoon per four quarts of 50/50 cranks the pH up to around 8. Do you have a pH meter or pH strips? If not, get some. You're probably inhibiting the mycelium with a too-alkaline casing.

Good luck!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck