Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Why do people knock American football so much?
    #18087761 -

I think it is mainly because it is popular to jump on that bandwagon of criticizing anything that is traditionally American as a symbol of American stupidity and ignorance, etc.  In the same way it is popular to chastise American fast-food culture, consumerism, and the other things that are deemed stereotypically American, so too it is popular in some circles to criticize American football and associate it with these other American abominations.

I think it's also because a lot of people associate American football with the stereotypical "jocks" that they encountered in high school, that were often of below-average intelligence, bullied people, and had a snobbish, egotistic personality. 

But if you look at the sport of American football objectively, it deserves some credit.  It requires a diverse physical skill set that some other sports don't require.

Football players have to have the endurance to run up and down the field many times for multiple hours, the fast-twitch muscle action to sprint and agility to change direction, the physical endurance to sustain a constant bombardment of heavy blows, and the muscle strength to push people out of the way, break tackles, etc.  All-in-all I think American football takes a larger toll on the body than almost all other sports.

I'm not saying American football is objectively the best sport.  Obviously "best" is a matter of opinion.  But in terms of physical merits, there are some strong arguments that support the notion that playing American football (especially on a professional level) is no walk in the park.


--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #18087769 -

I love foot ball the game and i go watch football with my dad often (CFL)

theres nothing wrong with the game itself, its more the stereotypes associated with the people who watch it.


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Celestial Traveler] * 1
    #18087770 -

It's such a violent sport, and yet so tedious at times. I like soccer and basketball better because they're straightforward athletic challenges that don't involve a) a lot of standing or sitting around or b) the greatly elevated risk of bone fracture.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #18087789 -

But don't you think that having the ability to endure violence is an athletic merit in itself?


--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #18087813 -

Celestial Traveler said:
But don't you think that having the ability to endure violence is an athletic merit in itself?



I dunno. I think of athletics as the art of self-improvement and self-mastery. Boxing would seem to be the ultimate sport for testing the ability to endure violence and a lot of boxers are brain damaged. That does not sound like self-improvement or self-mastery. Thus I do not consider violent sports athletically meritorious. :sorry:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #18087856 -

foot ball reminds my of the military and military tactics :smile:


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Sophistic Radiance] * 3
    #18087871 -

BlindSophist said:
It's such a violent sport, and yet so tedious at times. I like soccer and basketball better because they're straightforward athletic challenges that don't involve a) a lot of standing or sitting around or b) the greatly elevated risk of bone fracture.



Football isn't violent at all :tard: big difference between violent and contact


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Sophistic Radiance] * 1
    #18087874 -

I think people that did not grow up watching the sport don't understand all the rules of the game, there are some many rules that confuse the novice spectator. I hate trying to explain the game to people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: qman]
    #18087885 -

I don't like football because of the fans. It's all tied into the shithead beer drinking college assholes.

Also, the idea of hating other people because they like a certain team... or picking your favorite team is the best because you were born there (lol wut?)

The culture around the sport is complete american garbo. Kinda like American Idol or something.


--------------------
“Everybody is fundamentally, the ultimate reality. Not god in the political kingly sense, but god in the sense of being the self – the deep down basic whatever there is. And you’re all that… only you’re pretending you’re not.” -Alan Watts

I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD. It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be.”
― Albert Hofmann

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: qman]
    #18087888 -

i love Football, HATE watching it and people who watch it. down to the core.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: LysergicX7] * 2
    #18087897 -

Watching sports fucking sucks.

Playing sports is awesome.

I don't understand EVERYONES obsession with watching sports - especially females who have never played football or any sports period but are die hard fans.

It seems all over my head, like I am missing somethin'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: qman]
    #18087898 -

Football is a chess-match/battlefield where the best athletes in the world come together to try to defeat the opponent. Nothing is more exciting to watch if you are a fan.

i watch it because i appreciate the skill involved. And my home team kicks ass.


GO PATS


--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.


It's just a shot away..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Shins]
    #18087902 -

Shins said:
foot ball reminds my of the military and military tactics :smile:



And there's that. Personally I just like the idea of running around with a ball, but football (and baseball, incidentally) bore me because of how much esoteric strategizing is involved. I'll take my strategy in my video games and my moving around in my athletics. I find it really boring to watch sports, but I've been thinking about taking up soccer or basketball because Lord knows I need to get out and exercise, and I remember them being pretty fun when I played them as a kid. Football and baseball were just irritating.

Tangential, I'm gonna go whitewater kayaking this summer. I went kayaking as a teenager when my parents came up with the great idea and I just wanted to play Game Boy, but in retrospect that shit was off the hook. :cookiemonster:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Uzziel]
    #18087919 -

Uzziel said:
Watching sports fucking sucks.

Playing sports is awesome.



++++++1436246727252!!!

watching is super lame compared to playing!!!

Quote:
I don't understand EVERYONES obsession with watching sports - especially females who have never played football or any sports period but are die hard fans.

It seems all over my head, like I am missing somethin'?




theyre trying to be cool and fit in with a crowd.


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #18087929 -

i find it boring, and redundant. these people have no call to play or any reason to follow, they just do.

it's worse then chess to watch. chess is one and one to out think your opponent; and no one watches that (which is way more engaging)... but a bunch of people running up and down, catching passes and following what the play details, is boring and only people who are IN IT can even comprehend it, anyway.

i guess if you like the odd "surprise" of a unexpected play or and unexpected catch or throw... or unexpected save.

but, it's not all that enthralling to me, as i'm not expecting anything unique to happen other then what's with pure coincidence and happenstance. ooo, that player was in the right place at the right time. WHOA. the game totally wasn't made like that. :rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: akira_akuma]
    #18087966 -

Like I love to play sports but find it so dull to watch. I can't stand it haha and its like every "normal" guy out there is obsessed with watching that shit. My dad is one of those guys who yells at the TV when the ref makes a bad call or whatever and he is fat, overweight and hasn't played football in his entire life. Like the fuck?

I just don't get it. I've played MS/HS football, Competitve USTA Tennis, and rec soccer/basketball but I hate watching any of those except Tennis on occasion for grand slam titles. its just dull for me I can't get into it.

:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Uzziel]
    #18087975 -

HIIIIT OOOOOOOOOOOM!!  HIT OOOOOOOOOOOM!!!  YOU STUPID FUCKER HIT OOOOOOOOOOOM!

*me watching the stanley cup game*


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Shins]
    #18087987 -

I do like to watch martial arts though. Now that is some entertainment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Uzziel]
    #18087990 -

consumer feeding frenzy lifestyle. also, other fantastically suicidy "norms", like "manlyhood" or "being active".

yes, you gotta be active in every way that is completely useless and unimportant. cause it's important to be active. because you're not normal to not want to be "fit" by a: losing weight b: gaining muscle c: constantly moving towards a goal even if that goal is make-believe or completely superficial... ect ect...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Why do people knock American football so much? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #18088075 -

I like American football and I like jazz. Those are both American things. I have a tradition of watching the Super Bowl on dissociatives. Though every time I do it seems like the game is rigged.


Go Steelers


--------------------

Sartre on conciousness: "a being such that in its being, its being is in question in so far as this being implies a being other than itself."
Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek
Phish videos and discussion!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Football (soccer).... Loosifa 1,028 10 09/16/04 07:10 PM
by Thor
* For all you american football fans out there In(di)go 502 5 09/19/05 05:26 PM
by AliceDee
* Football????????
( 1 2 all )
southerngirl05 2,591 29 11/14/05 08:22 PM
by southerngirl05
* 2 kids throwing football in parking lot
( 1 2 all )
DoctorJ 2,813 29 02/07/06 06:38 PM
by Liquid_Dimension
* Monday Night Football
( 1 2 3 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 2,314 45 11/29/05 12:11 AM
by emptywisdom
* Football vs. Cartoons Nashbar 660 7 01/22/06 06:23 PM
by SourceLimit
* Knock Knock. Who Is It? daimyo 339 1 10/28/05 12:19 PM
by FL_accciD
* So on Monday night we knocked over Macaulay Culkin's younger brother. Igby Went DOWN!
( 1 2 3 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 4,460 57 06/19/07 02:07 PM
by Infrared

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,786 topic views. 4 members, 32 guests and 146 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.