Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshakta
Infidel
mini greenhouse door
    #1801105 - 08/11/03 09:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

My friend just built a mini greenhouse out of a small shelving unit. It is like the stainless ones that have the adjustable shelves. So he wrapped three sides and the top and bottom really well, and duct taped the crap out of them. He put his ultrasonic humidifier in there, and it got the RH up to 100% after about 10 minutes or so. He has a couple of bugs to work out though. The big one is the door on the front. He taped down a sheet of plastic to the top, and it drapes down over the front. He then used some tape to hold it in place. This pretty much sucks. It leaks out of the front quite a bit, because he only taped it up enough to hold it in place, and it sucks to undo the tape just to get into the thing. So he needs a way to create a sealable door on the front. This is his biggest concern.

A couple of more questions he has. He has the temp and humidity taken care of pretty much. Now he just needs air exchange. He has a smallish cool mist he is not using and a small HEPA filter as well. He is thinking about putting the ultrasonic on the bottom shelf. The top shelf just has his light on it. He thinks if he plumbs the cool mist to go right below the top shelf, and tapes the filter somewhere on the side of the plastic he should get decent air exchange. He plans to run both humidifiers for 15 minutes or so an hour. Will this give him enough humidity, and air exchange? Also, is it dangerous to have a flourescent fixture in there? Will condensation on it cause any problems? He doesn't think enough lite gets through the plastic with it just sitting on top. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: mini greenhouse door [Re: shakta]
    #1801126 - 08/11/03 09:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I just found this stuff for the door. Sure wish I could find it locally though.

http://www.protectiveproducts.com/zipper.html

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1801133 - 08/11/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I also found this at HD. Hopefully they have it locally.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_...earchStr=zipper

So, this should work well for the door. Now I just need to figure out the lighting, and air exchange situation.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1801324 - 08/11/03 10:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well the local HD doesn't have that stuff. Looks like I will have to buy it online.

OfflineDrippy
Stranger thanmost.

Loc: BC, Canada 'eh
    #1801327 - 08/11/03 10:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What a bitchin' idea! I have been drafting plans for a mutli level greenhouse and was about to start construction but this is a MUCH better idea. Why reinvent the wheel!?! Did you have to add much structual integrity since the tin is so flimsy? What about rust protection? I have a few ideas myself but would be interested in your solutions. Other than the leakage, any other problems?

--------------------
My weapon is my mind. Too bad I'm firing blanks.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: mini greenhouse door [Re: Drippy]
    #1801355 - 08/11/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The shelving I used is made to hold about 500 pounds. I got it at Lowes. It is all steel, and is painted black. Hopefully the paint will keep the rust away. It is that wire shelving that has a round pole at each corner with grooves in the poles. You put these little plastic things on the pole grooves were you want the shelves to be located. Oh hell, here is a picture of it. :smile:

So I got the plastic on all sides except for the front, which has that flap right now. Once I get the zipper stuff I will cover the whole front and just cut out for the zippers.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1801591 - 08/11/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone think velcro would work good?

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #1801876 - 08/11/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:

is it dangerous to have a florescent fixture in there? Will condensation on it cause any problems? He doesn't think enough lite gets through the plastic with it just sitting on top.

A mains voltage florescent in a high humidity environment is asking for trouble IMO, however there are options.

1. Get a bathroom florescent, they are built to deal with humidity.

2. Get an outdoor casing for the florescent.

3. Put it on top, as I understand it mushrooms don't use light for energy, more like a road sign telling the which way is up, and they need very little.

Also if he does want to mix mains with water, always a good idea to use an RCCD (Residual Current Circuit Breaker), they are cheap and available in most hardware stores, and it could save your life. They are available as an adapter plug so installation is no problem.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: mini greenhouse door [Re: psilomonkey]
    #1801883 - 08/11/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I will tell him to put the light on top then for sure. Any opinion on the velcro to keep the front closed?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract