Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
California Governor.
    #1786914 - 08/06/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Governor Grey Davis has been recalled and I hear that its a first...

Sooo, with that other states have been thinking of doing the same thing... Many states seem quick to jump on board and start recall petitions of their Governors...

Me.... I see this as a good thing... a VERRY good thing.. I was surprised to hear that this was the first time in history that this has happened and given the current state of affairs in the US I feel that this will only empower the public to determine the fate of their own country..

Ill bet that MOST people out their have no clue of what it takes to get an elected offical out of office, much less what it takes to change an elected officials bad decision....

Sometime in the future, if this recll is not burried in history, America will eduicate its self and soon will learn the error of its ways..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: California Governor. [Re: GabbaDj]
    #1787010 - 08/06/03 11:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
Me.... I see this as a good thing... a VERRY good thing.. I was surprised to hear that this was the first time in history that this has happened and given the current state of affairs in the US I feel that this will only empower the public to determine the fate of their own country..

However, this recall was not initiated by the people. Davis does have a low popularity figure in the State - but the reason that he was recalled is that the Republican party, and specifically Davis' GOP opponent in the last election, paid to have professional signature-gatherers shipped in from out of state to garner the signatures necessary for the recall election.

I don't know if you've ever done any signature gathering, but try it sometime. Pick a cause at random. Make one up! Then go stand in front of your local grocery store one Saturday afternoon for 4 hours. I all but guarantee that you'll be able to - by yourself and with no training, experience, or financial support - gather a few hundred signatures.

This was a coup allright, but not a coup by the people.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1787124 - 08/07/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Recall Bush!!!

That is all

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1787176 - 08/07/03 12:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I completely agree with you that the ability to remove someone from office is a VERY, VERY good thing.  But the way it was carried out doesn't seem right.  Only 2% of the population had to sign a ballot to remove the Governor from office.  There's always going to be 2% opposed to the Governor no matter who's in office.  A better way would be after the 2% of signatures is collected, then have a vote only to determine if the Governor should stay or go.  In order for him to get the boot, something like 2/3 or 3/4 of the voters would have to vote against him.  Then the reelection could happen.

But that brings up another sore point.  The way the reelection is being handled, something like 350 people will be on the ballot.  The problem with that is that someone getting 1% of the vote can still win the election!!! That's right, a person with just 1% of the vote can win.  :wtf:

A much better system would be to use instant runoff voting (IRV), which is an absolutely brilliant idea for making every vote count.  It is already being used in San Francisco and Vermont, it would ensure that the person elected has at least 50% support, and it also prevents the "spoiler" effect like Nader had on the last election.  I'd like to explain it more, but it's probably the topic for another thread.  For now, here's a link that explains the concept, and allows you to participate in several IRV elections just for fun to learn how it works (like "what's your favorite ice cream flavor?").  Or do a Google search for other "Instant Runoff Voting" sites.

--------------------

Edited by Cornholio (08/07/03 12:56 AM)

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
    #1787346 - 08/07/03 02:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Why did you post this here? You know that the only people who come to this forum are poorly thought out failures who still buy into failed liberal 60's and 70's ideologies. You know the sort of replies you will get to this post. So why even bother? Let's face it, the people who regularly post here don't even count in the real world. They don't even vote, they just pretend that they are fighting some system that they don't even understand.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: California Governor. [Re: silversoul7]
    #1787350 - 08/07/03 02:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Recall Bush!!!

That is all

i second that ;D

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: California Governor. [Re: Cornholio]
    #1787411 - 08/07/03 03:42 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe you'll find there is indeed TWO votes. The first to see if he stays or goes, the second part of the ballot is to select his replacement. Davis has filed suit to be on this second half.

I agree with your desire for an instant run-off style election. No-one, be it Republican, or Democrat, or Silly Goons Party, should be in any office with less than 50% of the votes cast.

GABBA..... I think you'll find this is the second Gov to be recalled. The first was Lynn J. Frazier, governor of North Dakota during World War I.

Frazier served from 1917 to 1921.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1787530 - 08/07/03 05:35 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's getting crazy. Next thing you know Gary Coleman or somebody will join the race to replace Davis.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: California Governor. [Re: superpimp]
    #1787629 - 08/07/03 07:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

superpimp said:
Why did you post this here?  You know that the only people who come to this forum are poorly thought out failures who still buy into failed liberal 60's and 70's ideologies.  You know the sort of replies you will get to this post.  So why even bother?  Let's face it, the people who regularly post here don't even count in the real world.  They don't even vote, they just pretend that they are fighting some system that they don't even understand. 

Actually, a recent poll showed that less than half of the people here are liberals.

superpimp, I don't post to these boards as much as I used to because I don't have much free time anymore, but I enjoy following the political forum whenever I get a chance.  You're posts make me believe you're the least intelligent person in this forum (don't take that as harsh as it sounds, as the majority of the people here seem extremely bright).  You keep telling the liberals how stupid they are, and what a genius you are, but you never back up what you say.  Maybe it's your arrogance that I despise.  But if you engaged in intelligent debate rather than namecalling, you might be surprised how many liberals will concede to strong, well thought out posts.  I see it happen all the time (yes, I realize a small handful of people here will never concede an argument).  Read a few of Pinksharkmark's posts for an example of how to make an intelligent post.  Here's a few other gems you've posted in the past 3 days:

08/04/03: "I'm in the mainstream and look at liberals in their true light. They have no ability to look outside of their own little self involved fantasy of the way things should be, and have no idea how they are viewed by normal, rational thinking people."

08/04/03: "You have to love liberals, they really do believe thier own bullshit. It's sort of like people in religious cults that can't be talked out of their goofy, nonsensical views no matter how namy times you point out actual facts to them. They simply won't listen to reason."

I realize that a few liberals here make some pretty outrageous posts (as do some conservatives, such as yourself), but those are the minority of people.  You're posts amount to nothing but namecalling.  It's not intelligent debate.  I gave you a 1-shroom rating.  If you explain why you believe the above 3 quotes, and engage in intelligent discussion, I'll delete my rating. 

Sorry, I guess I just got sick of reading the same arrogant shit over and over.

PS - I'm partial to fellow military/ex military people, so I did a search for Army then Navy to see if you were in.  This was interesting:

postalboy  said:
"Are you in the military now and preparing to go over to Iraq?? If not, shut up. I am tired of all the people who want war as long as THEY don't have to actually do the fighting. A warmonger who isn't in the service is a hypocrite and an idiot.
This isn't a flame. It is truth. When you are unarmed facing 300 police officers and guardsmen armed with clubs and mace and you stand your ground peacefully, then come back and talk about how gutless others are."

superpimp replied:
"I was in the Navy for 6 years, and now I wish I was still in. I would like nothing better than to go over there and do my share. I'd much rather be part of the action than watching it on tv."

In another thread you said:
"When I was 18 I wanted to enlist in the Navy and go into SEAL training. I went down to the Navy center, took the ASVAB test, and got a perfect score. You have to get a 95 or above to get into the top two fields of Navy training, which are SEAL and nuclear power. A perfect ASVAB score is not real common, so the recruiters took me and sat me in a room for two hours telling me how great it would be for me to join the nuke power program.

They told me you had to enlist for 6 years to be eligible to apply for either program, but at that time, the Navy was really short on nuke people, so they really sold me hard on that. I told them I was only interested in SEAL and nothing else. I was still really small at that time, so I don't think they thought my SEAL chances were too good. They kept pitching the whole nuke thing. I had no interest in studying nuclear physics, and I had no interest in spending 6 years on a nuke sub, or any other fleet job. I wanted special forces or nothing, so I walked out and never did enlist. I still regret that to this day."

So did you lie about your near perfect ASVAB scores, or did you lie about being in the navy???  Since you're a liar, it may have been both.    :shake:

Edit:  I expanded postalboy's quote above to include his entire statement to superpimp.  This shows superpimp's response to be all the more reprehensible.

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

Edited by GoBlue! (08/10/03 06:34 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: California Governor. [Re: Learyfan]
    #1787665 - 08/07/03 07:49 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

It's getting crazy. Next thing you know Gary Coleman or somebody will join the race to replace Davis.

Well guess what....
Go Gary Go

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: California Governor. [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1787702 - 08/07/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks GoBlue. My thoughts exactly. Superpimp, I don't understand you. You make such great posts in OTD, yet you come here and all you do is flame and call all liberals stupid and out of touch without backing up your claims. Either put up or shut up. Back up your statements or else stop making them. That is all.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1787808 - 08/07/03 09:33 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

So did you lie about your near perfect ASVAB scores, or did you lie about being in the navy??? Since you're a liar, it may have been both.

Nice Detective Work!

Pimp..you care to respond to that?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1788040 - 08/07/03 10:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Why did you post this here? You know that the only people who come to this forum are poorly thought out failures who still buy into failed liberal 60's and 70's ideologies. You know the sort of replies you will get to this post. So why even bother? Let's face it, the people who regularly post here don't even count in the real world. They don't even vote, they just pretend that they are fighting some system that they don't even understand.

That is a huge fucking generalization.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: California Governor. [Re: angryshroom]
    #1788053 - 08/07/03 11:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That's his specialty.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: California Governor. [Re: silversoul7]
    #1788073 - 08/07/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It would appear that bullshit can also be added to his impressive forte'...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: California Governor. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1788449 - 08/07/03 12:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I believe you'll find there is indeed TWO votes. The first to see if he stays or goes, the second part of the ballot is to select his replacement. Davis has filed suit to be on this second half.

Well that's cool. Then I agree with Gabba that this was a good thing.

Quote:

I agree with your desire for an instant run-off style election. No-one, be it Republican, or Democrat, or Silly Goons Party, should be in any office with less than 50% of the votes cast.

Exactly! You could finally vote for a Libertarian candidate (for example) without worrying about your vote being a "spoiler". If the other candidate you don't like gets more than 50% of the vote, then he would have won regardless or whether you voted for the Libertarian or not, and if he gets less than 50%, then your "spoiler" vote will then count towards your 2nd favorite candidate. It's a great system. I highly recommend people try the link to see how it works. It seems like the only people opposed to this are the ones currently in power. They resist it, because the current fucked up system is the one that got them into power in the first place, and they know how to abuse it (maybe that's too harsh, but you know what I mean).

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: California Governor. [Re: Cornholio]
    #1788541 - 08/07/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

They resist it, because the current fucked up system is the one that got them into power in the first place, and they know how to abuse it (maybe that's too harsh, but you know what I mean).

It's not too harsh.

I do know what you mean.

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: California Governor. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1788840 - 08/07/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:grin: 

--------------------

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
    #1789141 - 08/07/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the 1 shroom rating. I fully expected that. But your reasoning was interesting: "Incapable of saying anything intelligent".

This after you were proven to lie about your military service (you even had the nerve to say "I wish I was still in. I would like nothing better than to go over there and do my share.")

Everything here is debatable and of course you may be right that I'm not a very intellegent poster. But I noticed that you seem to rate anyone that challenges your almighty opinion with 1 shroom, such as Rono and cornholio; both of whom you accused of behaving like 14 year olds in your rating of them. Who's behaving like the child?

This forum is for debate. People are supposed to challenge you when you make a dumb statement. I propose we do quick anonomous survey to see what people think:

Please choose one:
GoBlue! does have a point - superpimp should back up his statements and stop crying when someone challenges him
GoBlue!'s post has clearly proven superpimp correct - GoBlue! is incapable of saying anything intelligent

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 05:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1789153 - 08/07/03 03:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've actually come to associate superpimp with Tony Soprano, so I'm not going to vote as I've developed a slightly irrational fear of him. :grin: 

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder