Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #13]
    #16708893 -

This is a BS troll thread.  Stop feeding it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #15] * 1
    #16709069 -

Anonymous #15 said:
This is a BS troll thread.  Stop feeding it.



Probably, but since most of the replies are wrong: there are two separate issues here. One of confidentiality (an ethical issue) and one of privilege (a legal concept). There is no (specific) federal law on this, it depends heavily on your state laws and especially your specific circumstances. Both privilege and confidentiality are held by you, the patient, and except for specific legally defined circumstances the therapist is bound to not discuss your confidential information or even confirm that you're a patient.

Confidentiality: Most states allow a doctor to break confidentiality and inform police or other appropriate persons about threats of violence to yourself or others, threats or evidence of child abuse, or a reasonable beliefe that one is unable to adequately care for oneself. Some states will require it ( "mandatory reporting" ) in some or all of those circumstances. As this relates to selling drugs specifically I do not believe it can be reasonably interpreted to fall under any of the mandatory or optional reporting situations with which I am familiar unless you're talking about kids, since child abuse can be a pretty broad term. Confidentiality is broken (but reporting is usually not mandated unless it falls under one of the above categories) if you attempt to use your therapy "in furtherance" of your crimes, but merely discussing something illegal doesn't break confidentiality.

Privilege: However, as some people have said, it is still unadvisable to discuss ongoing or future illegal activity as it may be confidential but not privileged ( ie. your therapist could be compelled to testify regardless of your claim of confidentiality ). There aren't many situations in which this will happen - the prosecution would have to show some kind of relevance (without being able to see the actual records they're seeking) and convince a judge it would be worth violating confidentiality to force the therapist to testify - but better safe than sorry. Discussion of past illegal activity is privileged and therefore not admissible as evidence.

Again, the patient holds the privilege or confidentiality personally, the therapist cannot usually break it. It does not weaken privilege if the therapist consults with a colleague about your case. Generally ethical rules require such consults to not identify the patient but either way the information remains privileged and the privilege remains the patient's. It does not weaken privilege if you discuss the same topics as you have done in your therapy with other people BUT, and this is a big but, if you discuss the therapy session with someone who is not your therapist, and with whom you do not expect to share confidentiality, that session is no longer privileged. Persons with whom you can expect to share confidentiality would include priests (but only in their role as confessor, and apparently not in prison), your lawyer, another therapist or doctor (whom you employ personally, court ordered therapy is not strictly confidential) or your spouse (but only to the extent of ordinary spousal privilege - others cannot be present etc.)

(IANAL, nor did I sleep in a Holliday Inn Express last night - Your state laws will very widely on this so take it all with a few grains of salt)

Edited by Anonymous (08/16/12 11:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #15]
    #16710362 -

Anonymous #15 said:
This is a BS troll thread.  Stop feeding it.




Maybe it is or isn't. Lots of people have different philosophies when it comes to dealing with such threads. Ignoring the troll is often one of the best. On the other hand, allowing misinformation to exist on a site like this, without intelligent refutation, is where trolls stop being JUST annoying and start becoming potentially harmful to people.Mind you, we should all think for ourselves and verify every piece of information we encounter. But let's step back out of shangri-la for a moment of realism-- none of us do this ALL the time.  And I wouldn't want someone who knows less than I to wander into this thread and possibly become dangerously misinformed, possibly to their own detriment, because of some idiot who thought they were cool shit on the internet.

So I often take it as my responsibility to correct misinformation and offer truth where I can. (Yeah. I'm patting myself on the back pretty goddamned hard, TBH)




I think the post from #16 just above this nails it, more-or-less. The one area I think we disagree on (and rightfully, as this is the part that is open to interpretation in some places) is whether a drug crime could constitute "harm" etc.  I am not sure if many, or any places will list future drug crimes specifically, as being valid reasons to break confidentiality... but I think in some places the interpretation could be left open to such.


And if kids are involved (in your home) all bets are off, pretty much anywhere in the US, IMHO.

I am also, in fairness, not a lawyer. I just read like it's my job. Wait... if I'm fucking a girl that went to law school, does that count? You can't get legalosis via sexual transmission can you?  Someone get enlil in here!


(To ask questions of... not for sex.  :p )

Edited by Anonymous (08/16/12 03:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #13]
    #16710467 -

You probably shouldn't tell your court appointed psychologist.
The therapist you're paying by the hour on the other hand, probably wants to keep you as a client.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #13]
    #16710507 -

Quote:
The one area I think we disagree on (and rightfully, as this is the part that is open to interpretation in some places) is whether a drug crime could constitute "harm" etc. 



Yeah... and I tried to hedge that a bit, but I'm fairly certain that giving others the ability to do something that could potentially cause them harm is too nebulous to qualify as having the intent to do harm to them.

There's no perfect analogy due to the social stigma drug use has so it would come down to the view the therapist has of the drugs involved. Since RP was talking about psychs: Most psychologists and psychiatrists practicing today either were around for the 60s and 70s or were taught by people who were, so it's safe to assume they're well aware of the effects of psychedelics. Some of them might have a more negative view of the drugs than others but most are probably aware that they're unlikely to cause acute harm. Therapists with less training or more of a drug abuse treatment background... all bets are off. Although it's fairly common for drug abuse treatment specialists to have had a past history of drug use or addiction themselves.

Quote:
And if kids are involved (in your home) all bets are off, pretty much anywhere in the US, IMHO.



Yeah, for sure. Involving kids, even tangentially, in drugs is bad news.

Edited by Anonymous (08/16/12 04:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #16]
    #16712497 -

Yeah. I pretty much agree.

I did have a therapist with a subtance-abuse background (clinically speaking, but...) he was an old-school hippy. As such, he never openly encouraged or approved of my drug use per se, although he did "validate" psychedelics in general, in the course of our conversations.


Some therapists will be far more open to stuff than others. And let me be clear in that I mainly am talking about pot and psychs. If you think it's generally kosher for someone selling hard drugs to openly admit their profession to a therapist, you've been watching too much sopranos.


But as mentioned above, a lot of psychiatrists will be more open to the idea of psychedelics. Feel this out in the course of conversation as you would with anyone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16720432 -

tell him you have a friend...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #18]
    #16729232 -

Anonymous #18 said:
tell him you have a friend...




Any objections?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What if I confess to my psychologist/therapist that I am a drug dealer? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16730605 -

It's uh... going to be pretty transparent to someone who talks to people for a living.

As has been said above you're totally fine discussing things in the first person as long as you use the past tense ("I moved some mushrooms for a friend a few days ago and it made me really paranoid" etc)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
2,640 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.