Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID
    #16551868 -

I want to first of all thank you all for such a nice website and forum. I have experienced hunting for non-psychedelic mushrooms in northern California for many years. Now I live in the highlands of Jalisco, Mexico. Near Tepatitlan and Arandas Jalisco area. Elevation is around 5,000 feet.

Here there is a small river that flows through a small woody area. I found many different species and want to see if I can find a psychedelic mushroom here. Thank you for your responses in advance.

Now for one mushroom at a time.


Habitat: The variety I find the most of grow on cow dung. Near a small stream and on top of older cow manure



Gills: dark purple to blackish, gills


Stem: 2 to 3 inch stem. Color is light tan and smooth. Thin and solid though not slimy.


Cap: 1/2 inch to 2 inch mostly. light brown to tan color. More spherical and concave.



Spore print color: deep purple to darkish color


Very important!

Bruising: No bruising color.

Other information:

I found some other varieties that also grow of cow dung and one type that I found under pine tree. This are has many types of mushrooms and I would like to know if others have any experience in this area of Jalisco. I am very new to this mushroom hunting in this area and will not eat anything until 100% positive identification.


Thanks,
mexicanmushy












Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16551988 -

Here are some others that I found:













Anybody have pictures of psychedelic mushrooms in this general area that can help me identify a good one?

Many thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16552156 -

1) Panaeolus papilionaceus
2) Deconica coprophila
3) Marasmius
4) Agaricus
5) maybe Panaeolus semiovatus
6) You might have some Stropharia semiglobata in there.

I have a lot of pictures of magic mushrooms from Jalisco in my journal.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14563698

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13780312/page/1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13240150/page/1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10874144/page/1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11007952/page/1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11007949/page/1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10993807/page/1

You might want to check out the area near San Sebastian del Oeste.  Also, The Genus Psilocybe by Gaston Guzman has some locations in Jalisco in the studied collections information.

Try searching for my Jalisco collections on mushroomobserver.org.

You appear to be hunting in pastures.  These places have extremely boring psychedelic mushrooms.  The real magic mushrooms of Jalisco are the derrumbes which occur in ravines and disturbed areas.  I haven't checked your area of Jalisco for mushrooms, but I believe that you should head towards the coast.  Or at least look for the green spots on google maps and go there.

I can't wait to get back to Jalisco, but I am currently in Veracruz, the Psilocybe capital of the world.  Going to Oaxaca tomorrow for http://www.tomzap.com/cuajimoloyasferia.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16553676 -

Very nice pictures and descriptions on the links provided.

You are correct in assuming that I live next to pasturing grounds. Mostly flat fields here. There is a big round mountain that contains many more trees closer by I may investigate. It is difficult for me to move around any further right now.

I am interested in Psilocybe cubensis mostly. They grow in dung as well, correct?

What about Panaeolus papilionaceus? There is huge amount of that in this area. Are those worth trying out?

Please keep me posted on you latest adventures. You provide a very nice service.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16553686 -

Panaeolus papilionaceus is generally considered to be inactive, though there may be some closely related Mexican species which contain small amounts of psilocybin.

Psilocybe cubensis grows in your area and is out right now.  Also Panaeolus cyanescens and Psilocybe mexicana.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16555258 -

I went out today again with a closer eye. One mushroom at a time

This is what I found:

Species 1-






Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16555267 -

Number 2:










Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16555275 -

number 3:










Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16555286 -

So far most of the mushrooms I have found have been in cow dung. I am very eager to learn more on mycology. I must admit this is fun. Reminds me of a course I took in college in dendrology. I love the outdoors and finding out about the natural environment.

Thank you Mr. Rockefeller for your help in this manner. Nothing better than an expert to guide one into the world of the fungi.

p.s.- I can produce a spore print for any of the above if necessary.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Highlands of Jalisco México - Need ID [Re: mexicanmushy]
    #16556868 -

The larger ones with the white stems are Panaeolus antillarum.  Those are edible and good to cook.  The others with the more reddish stems are Panaeolus papilionaceus.  Nontoxic but they don't taste as good.

Panaeolus cyanescens looks somewhat like Panaeolus antillarum, but has a thinner cap and stem which are very slightly yellowish, and stains blue when damaged.

Make sure to look for Psilocybe mexicana in pastures, they look like Conocybe until you look at the underside.  P. mexicana has a strong farinaceous odor.

There are also many great edibles in Jalisco, mostly under oak and pine.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Confused about Mexican shrooms honguito 3,181 11 07/06/19 04:06 AM
by AIRDOG
* Some Thai 3 cubies, P. Mexicana and Mondays Stuntz mjshroomer 2,393 8 07/11/01 09:35 PM
by Indiospree
* west coast mexico? the man 2,055 12 12/20/02 10:43 AM
by mjshroomer
* Weird blue mushrooms, need id please honguito 1,628 7 08/17/04 10:45 PM
by Ekstaza
* I want to find some shrooms in NE Mexico JPZ 2,320 9 06/29/04 04:12 PM
by JPZ
* Psilocybe Cubensis found on Xico, Veracruz (México) Farbo 4,392 9 07/19/07 01:27 AM
by J.T
* Another new psylocibe at my lawn (pics) ID Help MAIA 2,806 9 12/01/01 11:06 AM
by mjshroomer
* Where's the Old Mule Donkey Mexico Shroom Map Post NCubensis 1,512 3 12/13/01 05:00 AM
by CLuB99

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,569 topic views. 0 members, 61 guests and 61 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.