Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Just ordered a bad ass telescope
    #16471982 - 07/02/12 07:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Did I pay too much?

Barska 40070 Starwatcher 300-power Compact Refractor Telescope. I know 300 power isn't as significant as e.g. 1500-power, or even greater. But anyway, if it's more powerful then binoculars, I'll be happy. I have been using binoculars to look at the moon, well I have some pretty powerful binoculars, it doesn't seem to fit telescopic requirements for real star gazing.

Now with this telescope, I don't know if I'll be able to identify Mars as a spherical shape dim enough to see it's a planet, or focus in and spot a light bulbs shape at night from 10 miles away, but hopefully I can get half of all that, and at least get a good idea of stuff to look at, before I buy a more expensive and more powerful $500 telescope.

It ought to be at least decent right?

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: imachavel]
    #16472020 - 07/02/12 07:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I dunno you never dropped the price in your post.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16472039 - 07/02/12 07:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

my mistake.

$71.76

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Invisible1EyeCries
Paper Weight
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16472061 - 07/02/12 07:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

what kind of mount?

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #16472070 - 07/02/12 07:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The magnifying power is irrelevant.  You can make any telescope any power you want with the right eyepiece.  What is important is your resolving capability and your light gathering capability.  And of course the quality of the optics as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Starwatcher-Compact-Refractor-Telescope-Carrying/dp/B000BY2DJQ

Says its a reflector but I dont see the tube diameter on there.  Mine is a 4" diameter reflector.  The moon looks sweet on it, I can also see the rings of saturn (but not the cassini division) and two of jupiter's bands.

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: DieCommie]
    #16472177 - 07/02/12 08:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I can't wait until I have some cash to spend on a nice telescope.
Just one of those damn things that isn't in the budget anytime soon.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: 4runner]
    #16472256 - 07/02/12 08:33 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

holy shit. two rings of Saturn? Nice

Well I guess I should wait til it arrives, then bust it all out. Then list the lenses that come with it, the mount, etc. If you can see Saturn's rings and what not then you can almost certainly see some very very nice details on the moon. Must be sweet, can you differentiate the mountains and canyons? Then again, you will always have a view that is directly over head, remember, from a satellite view, you can't make out details of mount Everest, well sure you can, but you can't get an idea of how tall it is.

I can't wait until mine shows up. Sorry anunnakian, that your budget won't allow a telescope any time soon. I know all about budgets, I've been wanting to build a new gaming pc for awhile, and go out of town, etc. etc., budgets suck, and are very limiting.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #16472426 - 07/02/12 09:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The best time to look at the moon is not when its full, but when its only partially full.  That because you can see the most detail at the 'terminal'.  That is where the light meets the dark.  Because its sunset there you see lots of long shadows which really portrays the texture and depth on the surface.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: DieCommie]
    #16472453 - 07/02/12 09:16 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

that is fucking cool

--------------------

InvisibleNimpo
Big Black

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: imachavel]
    #16472657 - 07/02/12 10:00 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I need a telescope.

Ive been using my t3i with a 250mm telephoto lens and x10 digital zoom.

I can see the moon perfectly, even the heat radiating off of it.

Idk about planets, though. Thatll prob require a telescope.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Just ordered a bad ass telescope [Re: Nimpo]
    #16494475 - 07/07/12 10:19 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well I finally got my telescope. Took me 24 hours to figure out how to use it. I was messing with it seriously for about 12 hours straight, trying the different lenses, etc. then finally I realised that to focus on something, it doesn't just take zooming the back lens in and out, the lens you put in there to magnify, you have to slide it in and out with your hand to get it to focus properly, at times even in and out of the telescope. Now I can see some really cool shit, I've got a neighbour(whom I don't know), who lives about a mile away from me in a condo. I decided to take a look at his apartment, and realised he has a trumpet sitting on the dining room table of his house. Pretty cool fucking shit, never realised that was there, or maybe it's just there today :wink:

250 mm telephoto lens you say? I've got a 20 mm and 4mm, I haven't tried looking at the moon yet, don't know if I'll be able to see the heat radiating off the moon. Of course I can see very very far with my 4mm lens, I think I need a 1 mm or less if I want to get really crazy and see Mars or some shit. But really? 250 mm lens? Sounds like Bushnell binoculars, yet you are still referring to the outer lens, not the much more focal lens that you see the magnified view through at the end you look at through, which is probably much smaller. If you are comparing the outer lens, then most likely my telescope also probably has an almost 100 or 200 outer lens.

I must admit though, for an outer focal lens, your binoculars are top of the fucking line. You must have paid a fortune for them. I wouldn't recommend buying a telescope set in that case for anything less then $170. After all you are going to need some pretty hard core lens sets to beat those binoculars.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom