Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
I love Jesus
    #16095180 -

Anybody else? I'm not a Christian, never been to church, but I do have a love of Jesus that comfortably borders on the religious.

The stuff he said was so swell. Eminently quotable as well, especially in conversation with Christians.

"When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the schools and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."
--Matthew 6:5

The Bible is chock-full of this kind of stuff, and Christians don't read it. In fact, they've made an elaborate ritual for breaking each and every one of Jesus's commandments.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095187 -

Not at all. I hate him. He's a fucking lie. :nonono:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095196 -

Not particularly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095197 -

"Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes', and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."
--the book on which judges and senators are required to swear their oaths

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095204 -

It's that kind of christian. :facepalm:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #16095219 -

Anonymous #2 said:
It's that kind of christian. :facepalm:



The kind who says unpleasantly agreeable things? :omgz:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095438 -

I don't doubt I could find some quotes that would not dismantle your perceptions on the good of Christianity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #16095456 -

Anonymous #4 said:
I don't doubt I could find some quotes that would not dismantle your perceptions on the good of Christianity.



Quite a leap you're making in assuming you know my perceptions, but go right ahead.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095469 -

What is your perception of the Christian faith?

I assume someone likes it if they constantly quote it but that may just be me :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #16095482 -

I explained my perception of the Christian faith pretty thoroughly in the OP.

Christians have an elaborate ritual for breaking each of Jesus's commandments.

The oath-taking, the public prayer, the glossolalia among the Pentecostals--

"When you pray, do not keep on babbling like the pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

It's obvious to me that Jesus was the greatest troll who ever lived (or didn't). There is no other way to explain the behavior of Christians.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095560 -

Your definition of a thorough explanation of your perception of Christianity is you aren't one, have never been to church but love Jesus?

You explained your thorough definition of your perception of Jesus in the last post, yet fail to mention your perception of the Christianity faith.

Edited by Anonymous (04/15/12 10:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #16095570 -

Just how concise do you want me to be?

Liars, hypocrites and charlatans!

:wow:

Are you asking me about MY OWN faith in Jesus? This is where things get personal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095626 -

Yeah I love the hippie commie Jesus too, but sometimes he gets a bit strange.

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.”

Matthew 10:34-39

Or

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. "

Luke 14:26

Plus his numerous, repetitive warnings of damnation to anyone stupid enough not to heed his word, as Judgement Day was surely to come before the current generation passed away.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #16095671 -

Vaguely new-age left-wing Christian apologeticism knows no limits, as you shall soon see! :levitate:

Anonymous #5 said:
Yeah I love the hippie commie Jesus too, but sometimes he gets a bit strange.

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.”

Matthew 10:34-39



Context, my friend. Jesus said this as part of his instructions to his apostles. Christianity was a beggar's religion. He was instructing the apostles to save their proselytizing for the people who had no homes or families.

I bolded the quote from Micah, the old testament prophet. Micah prophesied that Israel would be destroyed because it broke the rules, then nothing happened. :strokebeard:

Quote:
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. "

Luke 14:26



Perhaps a 2000-year-old version of the belief, widely held in psychotherapy, that a patient must "kill their parents" in some symbolic way to be free and independent.

Quote:
Plus his numerous, repetitive warnings of damnation to anyone stupid enough not to heed his word, as Judgement Day was surely to come before the current generation passed away.



IMO judgment day is every day, I see no contradiction of this in Jesus's words.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16095719 -

Quote:
IMO judgment day is every day, I see no contradiction of this in Jesus's words.



I applaud your eloquence my good man, but Jeebus had something a little more specific in mind than your regular old garden-variety misery and suffering of day to day existence.  From Matthew 24:

29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

  “‘the sun will be darkened,
  and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
  and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

  30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

  32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #16095734 -

I see a lot of poetry. Really evocative poetry, actually, I admire it. It means many things to many people, like good poetry should.

I'm not really sure what to make of the way Jesus appears to set himself up as a messiah, but I'm also not really sure the current canon records the events reliably, and I'm also not really sure Jesus existed. But what we have is the best we've got. And it is good, IMO.



--Matthew 6:25

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #16097374 -

Whats not to love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #16106290 -

1, I love you.

You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy."  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes his sun rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?  Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others?  Do not even the tax collectors do so?  Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. -- Mathew 5: 43-48

I particularly love the boldened bit, but included the rest to give context.

"Judge not, that you be not judged.  For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.  And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the planl in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, "Let e remove the speck from your eye"; and look, a plank is in your own eye?  Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see more clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. -- Mathew 7: 1-5

It staggers me how so many (but not all) mainstream "Christians" seem to contradict this message in the way they judge others.

And for one of my favourites, which espouses the ultimate perrenial message:

"The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, "See here!" or "See there!"  For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you."
-- Luke 17: 20-21

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #16106806 -

If you follow a book of lies, your life becomes that lie.  Don't get me wrong, the Bible is a great fiction novel.  Anyone who has not read it, I suggest you do. It is on par with some of the greatest literary fiction writers over the past few hundred years. But that is all it is, just a story of magical sky fairies that may or may not grant your wishes on their own whim. It has no more credence than the story of Scientology or Mormons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I love Jesus [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #16107015 -

8, I understand your sentiments, it is pretty dumb to take a book, that was put together just over 1500 years ago, some 400 years after "Christ's" death, from perhaps hundreds of different accounts with various philosophies, to be fact.

Dont even get me started on those who assume that people who do appreciate and analyse it (together with other works), take it to be literally true! lol.

I dont see the Bible even as fiction, but rather a great philosophical work with much symbolism and meaning to be discovered by those who are open to it (not necesarily traditional Christians).

Those who are in search of fallacy, will most certainly find it, and those who seek truth, shall have it revealed to them.

The letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life -- 2 Corinthians 3:6

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I'm finding it harder to connect with people than in the past Anonymous 635 2 03/04/18 01:59 AM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
739 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.019 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.