Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Grateful Dead

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Touring Musicians...
    #1532445 - 05/08/03 11:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My band is planning on touring this Summer by ourselves. A van, our equipment, some bologna sandwiches, and the road. No major touring.. just from here to there..around the east coast, mostly in the DC/VA/MD area.

Anyone that has done this before.. what are some tips you can give? What to expect.. worst case scenario type stuff. We're pretty poor and doing this without a major label backing us is considered insanity by some people..but we think we can pull it off. We will mostly be playing small to medium sized clubs.

We've denied a contract with Metal Blade because we have heard they give shitty deals and we didn't have an entertainment lawyer to look over the contract. We're about to get into the shit of the music business...and we could use all the help/advice we can get. I've heard all the horror stories. Thus far we have been doing it ourselves..which hasn't gotten us very far. Everyone we have talked to says we need management and a label to succeed, I'm beginning to think they are right..it's hard to do much of anything when you can barely afford cords. And you need money to get a manager and such.

However, we're getting serious about it..going into the studio in a few months to record, then...gigs, gigs, gigs, everywhere we can get to. I would just like some advice on what to look out for.. how to prepare.. things of that nature. Prepare me for the road and the finger-stealing record execs. I've gotten a taste already.

Peace

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: Touring Musicians... [Re: Shroomism]
    #1532646 - 05/09/03 12:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey man, you should use the mid-west as a testing ground like they do for pretty much everything else.  Lots of bands come here (St.Louis) their first couple of shows to work out the kinks and see how receptive the crowd is to certain things.  We aren't one of the major market cities, but very close.  When, and if things go good, they move on to more important metropolitan cities like NY and LA.

Ok...................... I'm just trying to convince you to come play here.  But it's still a good idea  :cool: 

Offlinecerebral gortex
Prying open my third eye.

Loc: Patriots Nation
Re: Touring Musicians... [Re: slime_R]
    #1534317 - 05/09/03 12:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Boston had a huge underground music scene, might wanna think about taking an extra couple hours drive up here to see if you can land some shows.

Good luck to you and your band.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Touring Musicians... [Re: slime_R]
    #1575961 - 05/25/03 09:08 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

We'll come out to the mid-west and the west coast after we tour around the east coast a bit. I've actually been talking with some bands, one in Jersey and one in Boston, who want to play some shows with us..so it is very likely we may be out there this summer or in the fall.

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #1580848 - 05/27/03 09:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Find away around the music business and you will break un charted ground for thousands like you... easier said than done..but a nice thought.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Touring Musicians... [Re: Adom]
    #1580885 - 05/27/03 10:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I really doubt we can make it in the music scene without being supported by a label unless we magically find someone with loads of cash that is willing to invest in us recording an album..touring..promotion..etc. But we're going to do it on our own (playing shows in our area) until we start making some real money or get approached by a label.. it's hard doing it independently..but we'll try.

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #1580989 - 05/27/03 11:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The Grateful Dead found a person willing to invest time and money in them and they still couldn't get around it. They sure tried but they failed miserabley in that aspect.

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1582374 - 05/27/03 08:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you ever come out to California I can hook you up with a few people who really know what theyre doing..

Their is an organization with diferent venues listed and tourig bands play for donations or at some places part of the door fees. The network is huge and it can keep bands verry busy while they travle the west coast.

Best thing about it is that at every stop theirs more than one registered crash pads where they will feed you and take you out for a good time.

Zines are a huge thing out here and this started as a zine but its been pretty organized for like 10 years now. You wont make it ritch but you will make it to your next destination and have a place to stay with a meal and some spending cash guaranteed.

My friend Amy used to play bass with L7 and now has a house in Fairfield Ca, shes got her garage listed as a venue and still has travleing bands crash on her couch every week.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Grateful Dead

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media