Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
MMO RPG Behavior [Study]
    #14239277 -

Hey everyone,

So I'm studying behavioral science and I've recently noticed some certain correlations between the way people behave in MMORPG's and the way they play out their real lives.  It's actually become really fascinating the more I've thought about it and asked people questions.  So I want to get as much information as possible to conduct a little study.  I will also be getting information from people I know and using other mediums.

I'd really appreciate it if you have time if you could post some information about your MMO behavior:

1. How many characters did/do you have? What levels were they?

2. How long did you play?

3. If you don't mind, and depdning on the game if it has a "vault", provide names of characters. If their character pages don't include it, also playtime, and current playtime at that level (particularly if at max level)

4. What professions did you have? How did you pick them?  What levels were they?

5. What did you spend most of your time doing ingame? Why was that your favorite in-game activity?

6. Subjective experience.  Please tell me anything and everything you can think of about the MMO's you have played.  Things you liked, things you disliked, things that frustrated you, anything you can possibly think of.


Please post info here or PM me, I will attempt to analyze each one as best I can as long as there's sufficient info and send you my personality analysis on you.  As I get feedback I will learn more and see if there are genuine connections, but so far everything I've seen has really led me to believe that how you live your virtual MMO life is highly symbolic of how you live your actual life.  I'm seeing certain patterns in games corresponding with certain personality traits and it's becoming really neat.


Thanks for any help!
-tm21

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: tokinman21]
    #14239370 -

I can't really respond atm, but I'm replying so that I can get back to this later.  I'm interested.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #14239813 -

I haven't played an MMO in years, but I played R.O.S.E. Online extensively and World Of Warcraft. I'd love to help in your survey. :smile:

1. How many characters did/do you have? What levels were they?
Honestly, I've lost count. I made tons of different characters to try out different builds or different skills, or just to make a character to have a ridiculous name. Of R.O.S.E. though, I had two that I actually put a lot of time and effort into and three in WoW that I put a lot of time and effort in. (See #3 for the levels)

2. How long did you play?
Err... It's kinda hard to tell. Maybe 3 years? I went from R.O.S.E. to WoW with no break heh. But I played extensively.

3. If you don't mind, and depdning on the game if it has a "vault", provide names of characters. If their character pages don't include it, also playtime, and current playtime at that level (particularly if at max level)
In R.O.S.E., the max level was seriously unknown. Kinda made the game fun heh. At the time, the top levels were 208. I was only level 78 when I stopped. I had a 78 Dealer named "Assinthewind" and a Warrior named "r72rock". In WoW, I had a 70 Blood Elf Paladin (Back in the Burning Crusade when that was the top level) named Todeswunsch, a 52 Rogue named Remiyu, and a 58 Warlock named Keleck. In R.O.S.E. I had ~ 1000 hours and in World of Warcraft I had ~ 2500 hours. Todeswunsch (My main) specifically had about 50 days played.

4. What professions did you have? How did you pick them?  What levels were they?
Professions in R.O.S.E. were based on the class. It was an economy based game, and I was a dealer. I would get plans and raw materials and attempt to make car parts or weapons. I was pretty terrible at it lol. There were no levels for professions in that game. In WoW, I switched professions when I was bored. I've had maxed out Mining and skinning before. I had enchanting which wasn't the highest, but pretty high, and Jewel Crafting, which was pretty low. I also recall maxing out blacksmithing. I was also a decent level in secondary professions such as fishing, and cooking.

5. What did you spend most of your time doing ingame? Why was that your favorite in-game activity?
My favourite thing in game was PvP. It was just fun, whether it was world PvP, or arranged battles. I would also help lower levels out if they were being ganked. Another thing was that I had a pretty tight group of friends online that I would switch accounts with a lot just to try another class at the top level. I also loved raiding which was very fun and rewarding with the right people. I can also admit that I ganked and picked on lower levels at times. I did a little bit of everything in all the games, but nothing beat team PvP like arenas. That was my favourite. :smile: This question was particually hard for me, so to sum it up, anything that I had to do with my friends (in game or irl) was fun. Raiding, PvP, instances, questions, farming, ect...

6. Subjective experience.  Please tell me anything and everything you can think of about the MMO's you have played.  Things you liked, things you disliked, things that frustrated you, anything you can possibly think of.
I loved the community. The coolest thing was that at a certain point, I made better friends online than in real life. I grew very close to these people, and had some of the best times of my life. Things that were bad were my sleeping patterns. I would go to bed from when I got home from high school at 3 until 12, wake up, and play until school started at like 7. On the positive of that, I was able to practice my German because a lot of my friends were Germans who were waking up in the morning. :lol:
It gave me a good world perspective. I had good friends from Germany and Belarus. They gave lots of insight on the country I live in, politics, different cultures around the world, language and how much our language dictates our thought, and suggestions and advice in life. :shrug: They were all great friends, and at the time, I would've called them family. It was overall a great experience, and I miss it from time to time. :tongue:


--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #14239825 -

Oweyervishice said:
I can't really respond atm, but I'm replying so that I can get back to this later.  I'm interested.




--------------------
Leaving the shroomery forever

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: tokinman21] * 1
    #14239833 -

but you didn't ask any questions that pertain to real life....so how could you build correlations?

Edited by curious mouse (04/05/11 02:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: curious mouse]
    #14241428 -

To get all the information you need and more, I would suggest this...

1.) Go to worldofwarcraft.com
2.) Download a 10-day trial account
3.) Create a character on a high/full population PvP server and log on in the evening
4.) Run to the nearest major city from the starting point
5.) Read trade chat
6.) Run away from the computer as fast as possible and don't let the idea of actually buying the game cross your mind even once... unless you are the kind of person who has the willpower to only casually shoot dope or smoke meth.

Joking aside, you really can get a good first-hand experience and feel for what the community is like from doing that ^

I don't want to formally answer all the questions above but in short, I have played on and off for about 5 years, in that time getting 4 characters to lvl 80 (originally max was 60, then 70, then 80, now 85) and most recently another newer character to max level(85). I was the kind of player who would stop at nothing to be "the best"...whether it was playing for ridiculously unhealthy amounts of time, taking advantage of other players, or simply bragging about such pointless things to try to make others jealous of what you have attained. Sadly, so much of the WoW community was like this. Of course there are others out there who really did spend their time helping others and expecting nothing in return, but almost everyone in that game wants to be the "fantasy book hero" with the best items and most power (although deep down you know there will always be more powerful characters out there who spent more time or had better luck than you and realistically no one actually cares about your items and power). A lot of people talk about how this is because those people hate their real life or have a lack of power there and make up for it in the virtual world. While I believe this is true in many cases, I feel in general it's just the same thing we see every day in the real world, especially in areas such as politics. Everyone always wants to be the best (nothing wrong with that) and many people will put their personal gain and power before everything else in life.

Funny how I am talking about WoW as though it is in my past now, as I have many times before, but a few months down the road I will probably be addicted to WoW once again and disagree with everything I just said and care about nothing but the game. The rumors are true, it is the world of warcrack...


--------------------
all i've had is 3 cups of coffee 50mg of MXE and a banana...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: curious mouse]
    #14241447 -

curious mouse said:
but you didn't ask any questions that pertain to real life....so how could you build correlations?



work on that...kind of gets you a failing grade otherwise.

interested in the thread though.


--------------------
Není důležité co v životě děláš, hlavně že to dělaš.

You can read books about mycology and taxonomy all your life, until you actually go out and hunt mushrooms you are nothing but a bloody n00b. Same goes for mushroom cultivation or any other subject. Theoretical knowledge is nothing without practical application of that knowledge.
-German Kahuna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: curious mouse]
    #14241487 -

How can he build correlations if people who play MMORPGs have no "real life"?

Edited by xFrockx (04/05/11 11:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: xFrockx]
    #14241547 -

xFrockx said:
How can he build correlations if people who play MMORPGs have no "real life"?



some people actually go out to work/live AND play games as well...not enough get out enough I guess.


--------------------
Není důležité co v životě děláš, hlavně že to dělaš.

You can read books about mycology and taxonomy all your life, until you actually go out and hunt mushrooms you are nothing but a bloody n00b. Same goes for mushroom cultivation or any other subject. Theoretical knowledge is nothing without practical application of that knowledge.
-German Kahuna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: tokinman21]
    #14241591 -

I played WoW for just over 4 years.  Haven't been active in almost 2 though.  I don't play any videogames anymore.  I wanted to set up my dreamcast to play sonic, but one of the chords is missing.  So I haven't played video games in at least 18 months.  I guess I got bored.  The shroomery is more interesting anyway. :awesome:

I tried looking up my characters, but none of them can be accessed.  Apparently if the character is inactive for too long, you can't see it in the armory.  I had 4 lvl 80s, 3 lvl 70s, and every other class in the game up to at least level 50.  Yep, I had absolutely no life at all.

All my main characters were tauren.  They were so adorable, and their home city was so peaceful and green with birds chirping and such.

I loved the storyline.  Like reading a book but better.  And the interaction with people.  We had a very tight knit guild, and I'm still friends with many of them on facebook.  During the last year or so, I spent most of my time running new people through the low level dungeons, and spent hours talking to people in the guild.  Absolutely hated raiding, so heroics were as far as I got before I stopped.

I played on an RPPVP server.  I wasn't the kind of person to RP, but when I joined, the people on those servers were all nice nerdy dorks, while the PVP servers were full of assholes with ego problems.  Towards the end, the assholes began filtering through to the RP servers though, unfortunately.

I stopped playing because I got bored.  It seemed like the same thing over and over.  All there was to do was grind and raid.  I also developed a problem with PVP.  Damage to my brain due to seroquel made me unable to PVP without getting violent shakes.

Wow, looks like I wrote a fuckin' book.  Sorry.

Edit: I guess I have more to add.  I forgot to mention that my best friend's dad when I was little played Warcraft Orcs and Humans.  Her and I would sit and watch him play for hours.  Eventually Tides of Darkness came out, and then Beyond the Dark Portal, and we watched him play that too.  So I was very involved in the storyline since I was like 6 years old.  At about 12, I bought them for myself.  I used cheats so that I could beat the game and get the whole story line.  When Warcraft III came out, I was very quick to buy it too. 

As for professions, I had so many toons that I had all of them.  All except leatherworking.  I tried leveling a leatherworker, but I hated killing the animals, so I respec'd to alchemy.  (I'm a vegetarian :lol)  The majority of my toons, including my main were alchemists.  I liked picking flowers and making things out of them.  Herbs were also extremely easy to get, so I could hand out potions to all the people in the dungeon with me.

My main was a tauren druid.  She was resto spec, with moonkin offspec.

Damn, I kinda miss it now.  I never played cataclysm, so I'd kinda like to try that.  But I'm broke as hell, and I know if I started playing I wouldn't have time for my studies.  High school was one thing, but a science major is extremely demanding.  Can't afford another addiction at this point in my life.

Edited by BothHands (04/05/11 08:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: curious mouse]
    #14243166 -

curious mouse said:
but you didn't ask any questions that pertain to real life....so how could you build correlations?



Because first I want to give my assumptions based on the correlations I've seen and then get a response...right now I don't have things refined well enough to be able to ask specific enough questions about you as a person, so I'm going to have to just gain knowledge as I go and then that will be the next step.

Also, I do plan to respond tonight before I go to bed, but I'm pretty busy so I'll get to it a bit later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: tokinman21]
    #14243923 -

So what is the purpose of collecting this information? What do you hope to propose or conclude?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: tokinman21]
    #14245890 -

tokinman21 said:
curious mouse said:
but you didn't ask any questions that pertain to real life....so how could you build correlations?



Because first I want to give my assumptions based on the correlations I've seen and then get a response...right now I don't have things refined well enough to be able to ask specific enough questions about you as a person, so I'm going to have to just gain knowledge as I go and then that will be the next step.

Also, I do plan to respond tonight before I go to bed, but I'm pretty busy so I'll get to it a bit later.



it would be wise to ask all questions that you can come up with for the moment at once,instead of in two parts.....many of the people answering now will probably not answer later.work efficiently :oldman:


--------------------
Není důležité co v životě děláš, hlavně že to dělaš.

You can read books about mycology and taxonomy all your life, until you actually go out and hunt mushrooms you are nothing but a bloody n00b. Same goes for mushroom cultivation or any other subject. Theoretical knowledge is nothing without practical application of that knowledge.
-German Kahuna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: Boheim]
    #14249020 -

Also, if you aren't looking for a philosophical debate or anything yet on the subject of MMORPG behavior and are rather just looking for data input from people who have played them, I think you would have better luck in the gaming forum. I've seen a few WoW and other MMO threads floating through there in the past.


--------------------
all i've had is 3 cups of coffee 50mg of MXE and a banana...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: MMO RPG Behavior [Study] [Re: tokinman21]
    #14252950 -

1. How many characters did/do you have? What levels were they?
Dozens across different MMO's. Levels ranged from beginning to maxed.

2. How long did you play?
Ongoing for the last 10 years of my life.

3. If you don't mind, and depending on the game if it has a "vault", provide names of characters. If their character pages don't include it, also playtime, and current playtime at that level (particularly if at max level)
Sorry, unavailable. I'd guestimate playtime @ around 45 hours over the last 3 months

4. What professions did you have? How did you pick them?  What levels were they?
Current MMO doesn't have a profession. Each character comes with specific skills innate to them, and characters are rotated often. Max level is 30, but playability against a level 30 starts at level 1.

5. What did you spend most of your time doing ingame? Why was that your favorite in-game activity?
For my longest MMO I spent the majority of my time gaining political influence and waging war. It had a highly skill-based pvp system that allowed for the quick reflexes of my youth to dominate the majority of players and rise quickly in stature within the community.

6. Subjective experience.  Please tell me anything and everything you can think of about the MMO's you have played.  Things you liked, things you disliked, things that frustrated you, anything you can possibly think of.
I loved the first MMO I ever played because it was an entire world. Landscapes with unknown creatures that were always being updated in order to explore. I loved that, as I played and gained experience, the developers were adding new content in step. There was no lag in terms of exploration and it was a continuous stream. When things did start to lag and the content started to stall, player vs player was incredible in it's depth and was able to pick up the slack. The part that frustrated me was that this ate up so much time and was so utterly engaging. It was a legitimate addiction, and although it kept me from engaging in many of the more physically harmful behaviors that the rest of my childhood friends were engaging in, it didn't provide anything beneficial either. After that first MMO, I realized that I needed to analyze the reinforcers of the MMO world a little better and get a handle on it. So that's what I did, I assessed my behavior in terms of what was positively reinforcing for me, and what was negatively reinforcing for me. I then tried to assess any punishments and bring them into awareness. The compromise I have made is to limit play time and choose games that allow for a more relaxed schedule. This includes steering clear of games that involve lengthy quests and time investments in assembling a team. I still enjoy the sense of progress, and actually find that projecting that need into an online world is preferable to some of the other ways it has manifested in my life. So that's what I do. I utilize MMO's to give me that ultimately empty sense of accomplishment, while simultaneously limiting how much of that sensation I receive.


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Studies on the Effects of Overpopulation in Animals RebelSteve33 3,458 6 03/14/03 02:31 PM
by Murex
* mainstream news article says "Surprising results from psilocybin study" opioq 1,439 5 07/12/06 04:39 PM
by Viveka
* The Autoganzfeld Studies RebelSteve33 2,326 10 06/24/03 12:12 PM
by johnnyfive
* Study: Meditation produces brain changes
( 1 2 3 all )
MountainMist 4,195 56 05/23/03 09:03 AM
by lucid
* Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne... nubious 658 4 06/28/03 07:08 AM
by Grav
* Meditation Gives Brain a Charge, Study Finds Deviate 1,187 6 08/08/05 07:01 PM
by Icelander
* Why I Study the Brain
( 1 2 all )
DoctorJ 3,856 22 09/02/04 05:58 PM
by Source
* The Moon Vs. The Aggressive Behavior "Phenomenon" in "Hum-An-imals".... PhanTomCat 1,116 9 02/23/05 05:50 PM
by TheShroomHermit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,452 topic views. 1 members, 4 guests and 43 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.