Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
The Moon Vs. The Aggressive Behavior "Phenomenon" in "Hum-An-imals"....
    #3820349 - 02/22/05 11:35 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

http://www.astrologynow.com/Astrology.409.htm

Quote:

Evidence points to a relationship between human aggression and certain periods in the lunar-synodic cycle. In particular, an increase in aggression and violence occurs around the time of the new moon and the full moon. However, for certain individuals, the opposite can occur. They may feel the most relaxed or calm during the new or full moon. Thus, while it is clear that there is a relationship between aggression and the lunar-synodic cycle, the effect can be in one direction or another.
Research has shown that all organisms show similar periodic increases and decreases in aggressive behavior in relationship to the new and the full moons. The direction of the aggressive response depends on whether the organism is in a state of positive or negative receptivity in relationship to the environment. If an organism is in a state of positive receptivity, then a cosmic disturbance will cause an increase in aggressive behavior. Conversely, if an organism is in a state of negative receptivity, then a cosmic disturbance will cause a decrease in aggressive behavior. Positive and negative receptivity occur with equal frequency.
In cases in which human aggression is increased, the findings for specific types of aggression fall in to certain patterns. Aggravated assaults peak around the full moon, with a secondary peak shortly before the new moon. Violence directed against others peaks around the full moon, with a secondary clustering around the new moon. Other forms of aggressive-type behaviors show a different pattern. Fatal traffic accidents peak between the first quarter and full moons and again at the last quarter moon. Psychiatric emergency room visits peak around the first and last quarter moons, with a significant decrease at the new and the full moons. 

I enjoy watching the show "COPS", and there is one thing that has been consistant about this show, and the people on it always seeming to openly comment on the "worst nights of crime" always coming during the full moon - UNLESS it is raining, then it is a little more calm in comparison.... 

I can say that I "feel" something....  But not sure as I could not simply say that I *could* get the same "feeling" from being in a good mood and drinking something with a lot of caffeine and sugar in it....   

---As, weather I consciously know of it being a full moon or not, I usually have a bit of a hard time sleeping.....  Pehaps it can all be written off to coincodence....?

Discuss....?

:moon:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: The Moon Vs. The Aggressive Behavior "Phenomenon" in "Hum-An-imals".... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3820391 - 02/22/05 11:46 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

i'm gonna say it's the power of suggestion.

a challenge: someone show me some evidence and prove me wrong.

anyways, full moons are pretty imo, blue haze, back porch, camel wides, don't get much better than that...  :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Edited by JCoke (02/23/05 12:47 AM)

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

The Moon Vs. The Aggressive Behavior "Phenomenon" in "Hum-An-imals".... [Re: JCoke]
    #3820451 - 02/22/05 11:57 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

JCoke said:
i'm gonna say it's the power of suggestion.

a challenge: someone show me some evidence and prove me wrong.

anyways, full moons are pretty imo, blue haze, back porch, camel wides, don't get much better than that...  :grin: :thumbup:

Well, not that I am trying to proove you wrong, but I would say based out of my personal observation from watching the COPS TV show, it *could* account for *some* proof....?    It is not really a scripted TV show....

Quote:

ME:
I enjoy watching the show "COPS", and there is one thing that has been consistant about this show, and the people on it always seeming to openly comment on the "worst nights of crime" always coming during the full moon - UNLESS it is raining, then it is a little more calm in comparison....

These are the people that have to intentionally go out and face the "aggressive" behavior no matter what day it is....  And the moon is not a "company" that is asking for any commercial recognition or "spot-light time" on the camera or TV as some sort of publicity stunt....    :shrug:

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

The Moon Vs. The Aggressive Behavior "Phenomenon" in "Hum-An-imals".... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3820503 - 02/23/05 12:08 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

A few side-note to maybe observe and take into account.... 

1)  The seas and tides are drastically effected by the moon and it's "forces".... 

2) The human body is made up of a LOT of saline solution (not unlike sea water)....  Isn't it like 80% of our physical beings...?

3)  The words lunatic and lunacy are Derived from luna, the Latin word for moon....

Coincodence....?      HHhhhmmmm....    Perhaps....    :noway:  <===funny smiley  :grin:

--------------------

>^;;^<

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
Re: The Moon Vs. The Aggressive Behavior "Phenomenon" in "Hum-An-imals".... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3822124 - 02/23/05 12:22 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

The cycles of the moon and the weather definitely affect children. When there's a full moon or a storm brewing kids generally act up. The word "lunatic" comes the word luna which is Latin for moon.

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

OfflineToad_Stool
Sloth Nation
 User Gallery

Loc: California
    #3822724 - 02/23/05 02:30 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

are we talking if there is enough lunar pull to affect the water in our brain even the slightest bit to act up? I don't know about the full-moon thing. It is repetitive and soon becomes fact. I would like to pretend that a half moon is like a full moon. And then conduct research on the half moon and see if it proves similiar results, thus distinguishing no difference between the two.

--------------------
There's nothing more I'd rather do, than the drug I call you

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3822748 - 02/23/05 02:36 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

For me, it is definately not just suggestion. Every month, I start my period around the time of the full moon. During this time, I experience classic symptoms associated with menstruation, only they can be quite severe. I don't know very much about human biology or what effect the moon could have on my body, but from my viewpoint it seems my bodily cycles coincide with the moon's cycles.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3822801 - 02/23/05 02:51 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

You may want to read this. The full moon/human behavior thing is an interesting thing to look at when thinking about how our perception of a correlation can make us see it, even if it's not there.

http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3823238 - 02/23/05 04:18 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

1) The seas and tides are drastically effected by the moon and it's "forces"....

2) The human body is made up of a LOT of saline solution (not unlike sea water).... Isn't it like 80% of our physical beings...?

if that were the correlation we'd have a 12-hour aggression cycle. instead it's ~28 days.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3823679 - 02/23/05 05:50 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

>1) The seas and tides are drastically effected by the moon and it's "forces"....
-1) The seas and tides are effected by the gravitational tug of the moon. The tide rises and falls according to orbit of the moon. This means that a "full" moon does not have any more gravitational pull because it's "fullness" is just the absence of the earth's shadow. It's a lighting effect and has nothing to do with the moon being any closer, or physically any larger.

>2) The human body is made up of a LOT of saline solution (not unlike sea water).... Isn't it like 80% of our physical beings...?
-2) The gravitational forces of the moon affects all things with mass not just water. Water is a fluid, so it is much easier medium to notice the subtle effects of gravity. The salt content of the water in humans and the ocean draws a meaningless parallel. The effects of the moons gravitational pull exerts force over a very large body of water. When you consider the comparatively limited amount of water in the human body, you can come to the realization that the effects of the moons pull is negligable. Also, our bodies water is constantly being moved in various systems (circulatory, respiratory, digestion, etc) and also by the momentum of our own physical movement.

The moon is moot.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale