Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
In browser instant messenger? * 2
    #13724628 - 01/03/11 02:22 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I have seen one or two threads about this in the past but nothing recently and there was never really an answer.

I really think it would be cool to have an in browser instant messenger. Nothing Fancy but it would be a lot easier than corresponding via the message center. It takes me hours to negotiate a trade sometimes when it could take a few minutes if I was IM ing.

I know messages are instant but it is not the same as instant messages, it's just not as fast or easy.

I am also aware of the chat room but it would be much cooler to not have to both be in the chat room to be able to correspond. It would be cool to have an "online now" icon or something next to the user name to indicate when a user is available for chat. We all know how this works if you have ever been on myspace or facebook. Believe me I don't want this site to be like those sites but this is a nice feature for communicating.

Of course there would have to be an option to shut it off for users who do not want to be instant messaged all the time by people they don't know.

Just a thought. I know there are plenty of programs out there that make this a relatively easy enhancement.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleveggieM

Re: In browser instant messenger? [Re: audiophoenix]
    #13724894 - 01/03/11 03:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

>It would be cool to have an "online now" icon or something next to the user name to indicate when a user is available for chat.<

Well, we do have that now:
← Online
← Offline
← Invisible

And you are just a couple of clicks away from an encrypted PM or a private chat in IRC.

And many users list their ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, & Skype if they want to be contacted that way.

While the above may not have the cool factor you are looking for, the current system seems to work just fine.

>Of course there would have to be an option to shut it off for users who do not want to be instant messaged all the time by people they don't know.<

That would be me. :smirk:

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: In browser instant messenger? [Re: veggie]
    #13725414 - 01/03/11 05:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

This is a good idea, FB style chat.

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

#13725443 - 01/03/11 05:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

... Ok well are those your only arguements?

I could think of a handful common secarios where chat would be way more convenient than messaging someone "hey go to IRC so we can talk" and then go and wait hoping that see the little flashing Instant Message Icon. Not everyone wants to give out their IM info to people on shroomery.

Quote:

veggie said:
While the above may not have the cool factor you are looking for, the current system seems to work just fine.

Why would we ever consider making the sight more user friendly? I guess it's just me who thinks that having a cooler, more interesting site would help bring more visits which would help sponsors buy more advertising and grow the site. :confused:

Quote:

veggie said:
>Of course there would have to be an option to shut it off for users who do not want to be instant messaged all the time by people they don't know.<

That would be me. :smirk:

Kinda the point then :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

Re: In browser instant messenger? [Re: audiophoenix]
    #13725601 - 01/03/11 06:16 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

>... Ok well are those your only arguements?<
Hahaha, No those were not arguments at all. I was offering you suggestions and my opinion.

The Shroomery is always open to new suggestions and, as you know, many of them get implemented before the next time you even log on.

As you can tell, I'm not a chatter or IMer. I don't text on my phone, use facebook, myspace, or AIM. So, naturally I'm pretty content using what's already in place. But, that's just me. :cool:

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

#13725622 - 01/03/11 06:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry if I was kinda dickish.

To be honest I am not really a social media guy either. I have a facebook but don't use it outside of keeping in touch with old friends every now and then.

I really do think that this would be useful though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals