Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard
    #12372094 -

http://www.matrixfans.net/symbolism/philosophy.php

I hope this doesn't seem too passe, but I am still deriving intellectual stimulation from 'The Matrix' trilogy, so I decided to buy and read the book that was shown at the beginning of the first film. The above link presents a very interesting introduction to the content of the book, and how the Wachowski brothers utilized it. For those of you who didn't note the detail, the book Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard, was the stash box that Neo kept his expensive bootleg software in, which he sells to his "punky" friends when they come to his apartment.

I am already pretty aware of the New Testament, Gnostic and Buddhist elements in the films, and I'm leaving the least familiar philosophical thread for last. Anyone out there familiar with this French philosopher or his works? It saddens me that philosophers are held in high esteem in France, but Americans are "by-and-large" (my high school sociology teacher taught us this expression) so philosophically retarded that the Harry Potter book/movie by the title of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone had to be renamed for Americans Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! :sad:


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12372108 -

When oh when are they going to turn Castaneda's works into a movie. What fun that would be with modern movie magic.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Icelander]
    #12372303 -

Icelander said:
When oh when are they going to turn Castaneda's works into a movie. What fun that would be with modern movie magic.



Along with the book I just cited in Spirituality & Mysticism, I also bought from Edward R. Hamilton, (for $4.95) The Active Side of Infinity, which I never read. The only other one I haven't read was that sort of after-thought book with the physical positions illustrated (?) Maybe you're familiar and can comment on that book.


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (04/11/10 12:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12372392 -

:thumbup: Interesting link.
I bought Simulacra and Simulation a while ago but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
Maybe today I will pick it up and read a little.


--------------------
my posts are nothing more than fiction

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12372445 -

MarkostheGnostic said:
Icelander said:
When oh when are they going to turn Castaneda's works into a movie. What fun that would be with modern movie magic.



Along with the book I just cited in Spirituality & Mysticism, I also bought from Edward R. Hamilton, (for $4.95) The Active Side of Infinity, which I never read. The only other one I haven't read was that sort of after-thought book with the physical positions illustrated (?) Maybe you're familiar and can comment on that book.




Are you referring to "Magical Passes"? Actually the commentary on the positions is really really interesting in the same way his other books are. I recommend it.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Icelander]
    #12372780 -

Magical Passes, yeah, that's the ticket. Sort of reminded me of the god-forms in some of Crowley's books. For a while a couple of years ago I lapsed into a magickal mind-set, and I remember standing in my living room, surrounded by all these mythological faces and forms, and spontaneously turning towards the inconsiderate asshole neighbors' house, and doing one of those forms. I really wanted them OUTTA there, in large measure because of their cruel treatment of a German Shepherd who barked in his misery all night, ruining our sleep. Well, a few days later I noticed quietness. The neighbors were still there but their dog had disappeared!
I know. Just a coincidence.


--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12372835 -

I don't blame you. I have a special malice for anyone who mistreats other animals, especially dogs.:hellfire:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Icelander]
    #12372906 -

Never read it; is it recommendable?


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: deCypher]
    #12374029 -

The idea of the book starts with a fable of a kingdom that creates a 1:1 map. The kingdom is destroyed and all that remains is a representation of what was once real. And he compares that to our society, as we live in a world that is hyperreal, there is little distinction between fantasy and reality.


It was pretty much Baudrillard mentally masturbating for a couple hundred pages.

good title though, I like saying the word simulacra

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Simulacra541]
    #12374397 -

Simulacra541 said:
It was pretty much Baudrillard mentally masturbating for a couple hundred pages.



:rofl: :thumbup:


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #12375017 -

Quote:
I know. Just a coincidence.



Keep repeating that, I've heard it's a mantra for some.

On the same note, while meeting at my professor's prehistoric house yesterday, she told me that all of the forks in her house recently vanished. Right as she casually said "there are ghosts here", in the corner of the room the light bulb blew up. I know. Just a coincidence.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Arden]
    #12376235 -

Or a set up.:wink:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard *DELETED* [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #12376311 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard *DELETED* [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #12376315 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Lakefingers]
    #12376540 -

Totally dude.  :wow:


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Lakefingers]
    #12379550 -

Well, the book is coming in the mail. I don't know if that means it's masturbating. :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: MarkostheGnostic] * 1
    #12379679 -

So you're saying you never masturbate?  :sherlock:


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: deCypher]
    #12379781 -

What  you think that gooey shit is in the pool?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: Icelander]
    #12380085 -

:argh:


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #12380288 -

Obviously that's not what I was saying. It was a goof. Why are you interested in whether I masturbate? Don't most people masturbate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Simulation Reality
( 1 2 all )
Cognitive_Shift 2,586 21 12/04/08 03:28 PM
by Icelander
* scientist say it is very possible we are all a computer simulation
( 1 2 all )
kaiowas 2,529 23 11/15/05 09:15 PM
by Droz
* Minecraft and simulated realities
( 1 2 all )
ralphserket 4,782 21 01/10/11 03:34 AM
by Sophistic Radiance
* AI: the simulation objection Sclorch 1,645 10 10/20/02 09:16 AM
by Nomad
* Are we living in a computer simulation?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Cognitive_Shift 3,957 97 06/20/09 10:57 AM
by Booby
* Worldwide scientific panels conclude, "Recent discoveries prove our universe is a simulation." HagbardCeline 1,383 12 04/09/11 12:19 AM
by HagbardCeline
* Would you enter a simulated heaven?
( 1 2 all )
deCypher 2,699 29 10/09/08 09:15 AM
by Nexion
* Masturbation- Yay or Nay?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Moonshoe 9,732 118 02/04/11 10:22 AM
by bugsonwheels2

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,062 topic views. 2 members, 4 guests and 43 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.