Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJiminiCricket
Loc: Ohio
Playing chess
    #1231990 - 01/19/03 07:48 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

About two weeks ago I took up playing chess with a guy at work over lunch. He's a little better than me. I started playing online on yahoo games now to the other night. I've played about 20 games and won 2. I'm really bad and keep getting beat by little kids and stuff. Just wondering if there are any players here and how long it took them to get good at it.

--------------------
Molon Labe!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Playing chess [Re: JiminiCricket]
    #1234098 - 01/20/03 01:25 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

I have been playing chess for about 20 years now. In the day I had a candidate master rating, but would be lucky to rate at 1/4 of that now. Chess is not like riding a bike... if you stop playing for a while you loose your edge.

Here are a few easy things to do that will help you get better:

1) Record your moves and study the games you play later.

This is by far the most important thing you can do to improve your game. Write down every move you and your opponent make during a game. When you have free time, replay the game and look at what you did and how your opponent answered.

2) Get a few books that teach chess strategy. Here are some really good ones that I recommend:

Chess Openings: Traps and Zaps by Bruce Pandolfini
My System: 21st Century Edition by Aron Nimzowitsch
Winning Chess Strategies by Yasser Seirawan
How to Reassess Your Chess by Jeremy Silman

3) Join a chess club with some good players. A good player will play just slightly above your level of play, always keeping the games close and fun without interest in winning. Don't be afraid to switch sides halfway through a game when you are loosing.

4) When playing a game, create a plan and stick with it. This is probably the hardest thing for new players to learn how to do. If you don't have a well defined goal in your play, then your moves are vague and undirected. Reading the above books will help you understand how to plan and how to implement your plans.

Keep up with it, chess is very good for the mind!

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineJiminiCricket
Loc: Ohio
Re: Playing chess [Re: Seuss]
    #1234183 - 01/20/03 02:08 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Seuss, thanks for the advice. I used to play occasionaly when I was a kid and I won a few and lost a few. I have been so rusty it's aweful. I also realized why I was losing so much was because I was playing intermediate players and not beginners. I started playing in the beginner room today on yahoo and I won 3 of five games. It's really encouraging to know that I'm average for a beginner rather than aweful.

I think I'll play a while more before I get in to going over old games. I see the mistakes I keep making and I'm starting to improve not making them quite as often, but I still make mistakes every game. I'm starting to think ahead a couple moves as well to see the results if I do this or that. I'm starting to think about strategy in opening too, I try to open with the pawns on the squares that qon't interfere with moving my bishops or queen too much. It seems important to bring rooks and knight in to play and get them out of the corners where they can fight because they do no good stuck in the corners and castling helps bring one rook into fighting position. I've started threatening my opponents pieces with mine , like, you can have this, but you have to pay for it and half the time they retreat instead of trading queens but I'll always trade and take thiers if I can.

I'm definatly going to get a couple of the books you reccomended but not all of them, I don't have too much extra money right now. I'll order the one about opeings and the one on strategy very soon.

I'm not sure how to make a plan. My only plan is to not get checkmated and pick off his pieces until I can checkmate him.

--------------------
Molon Labe!

Edited by JiminiCricket (01/20/03 02:10 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1234240 - 01/20/03 02:33 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Hmmm... here are a few more simple tips for beginners...

* You should almost never move the same piece twice, there and back. This is a waste of tempo (tempo is a measure of how quick you are progressing towards something compared to your opponent).

* A pawn move can never be taken back (pawns don't move backwards). Before you move a pawn, be sure that you have a good reason.

* He who controls the center of the board controls the game (for the most part).

* If a queen has to protect a pawn from capture, the queen is no more strong than the pawn.

* Develope your major pieces (except for the queen) quickly. Usually you move out knights before bishops, but not always. Never bring your queen out too early. The more time you spend retreating your queen, the most tempo your opponent builds up developing other pieces.

* The more space on the board that you control the easier it is for you to move around and the harder it is for your opponent to develope.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
Re: Playing chess [Re: Seuss]
    #1235997 - 01/21/03 08:56 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Awesome, great tips man. i will definitly take them into account next time i play a game.

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #1236356 - 01/21/03 11:32 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

i love chess. anyone wanna play?

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

OfflineOracle Of Delphi
I, Phantom
Female

Loc: State of Disrepair
    #1240754 - 01/22/03 07:16 PM (14 years, 5 days ago)

I got an electronic chess board, so i can play with myself alllll day.

--------------------

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub