Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Some Chantrelles and A. muscaria (Faster loading)
    #1165693 - 12/23/02 05:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Went on a hike today, finally found my Cantharellus cibarius. I have literally been looking for them for months. It finally got cold enough or something to spring up.

Does anyone know if wild boars eat chantrelles? On the past few hikes, we've been noticing a lot of rootings from the boars, boar shit, and a few peices of mushroom around the area.

I was a dumbass and didn't take any pictures of htem actually above ground. I was a little too excited. We got 4 very nice specimens, and 2 older buggy ones that I tried to clean, but was just too dirty and ugly!

Found them growing under some oak trees and second growth covering them.

Here are the Amanita's. We found about 10 in a 30 foot radius. Like the other patches, they are always RIGHT along the side of a busy road.

Here's one with all its warts fallen :frown: Looks like a lolly-pop!

And a youngin' just peering out into the new world!! :laugh:

Here we have a purple mushroom with a very interesting cobwebby rusty brown veil.

Edited by angryshroom (12/23/02 05:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Some Chantrelles and A. muscaria (Faster loading) [Re: angryshroom]
    #1165928 - 12/23/02 08:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Love the wart less agaric lol
That one must has had plastic surgery
to look like a russula :smile:
Gona eat the Cantharellus? 

--------------------
er

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Some Chantrelles and A. muscaria (Faster loadi [Re: angryshroom]
    #1165938 - 12/23/02 09:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The last one is probably poisonous Cortinarius traganus. Cobwebby veil and rusty brown spores point right to Cortinarius. The smell is very important to make exact ID in this genus.

In reply to:

Does anyone know if wild boars eat chantrelles?

I'm almost sure they do. Many animals (hogs, deer, squirrels) are mad for mushrooms.

Great pics BTW!

Anonymous

#1165971 - 12/23/02 09:59 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1166069 - 12/24/02 12:42 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Great photos (again).

Keep track of where you find your chanterelles. They will come up in the same areas again year after year. Also, the places you found some now may produce more as your season progresses.

The little Mycena in the second photo is pretty cool.

Muscarias are just plain photogenic.

The purplish mushroom is a Cortinarius, from subgenus Sericeocybe. The cobwebby veil is called a "cortina", which is where the genus name comes from. As zeronio mentioned, the smell is important for this group of mushrooms. None of the Sericeocybes are known to be poisonous, but none of them are known for being worth eating either. Some of the other Cortinarius species (around C. orellanus and C. gentilis) are deadly poisonous, so they should be avoided for eating. Still, they are often large, brightly colored, and conspicuous, and they are important for the health of the forests.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Some Chantrelles and A. muscaria (Faster loadi [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1166795 - 12/24/02 06:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks everyone for the replies ! :smile:

So, my question is to you (mr mushrooms)
What is your favorite chantrelle recipie?

I tried putting them into a stirfry, last night. I used butter and LOTS of garlic, and sauteed them in that and some red onion. Then added tofu, and vegtables. I added curry powder, and put over brown rice. It was OK, but, the chantrelles could have used a better recipie to bring out the flavor.

Zerionio, yeah, we were getting pissed off at all the animals (well not really MAD, but...) who were eating the mushrooms... I saw a few squirrels run off into their trees with some mushrooms...its pretty funny.  We actually had to find these mushrooms near the side of a road because the cars would scare them off, and they wouldnt eat them. It worked!

ToxicMan, great to you see you around again. I missed your dedication and knowlage in the forum. Thanks for the ID. I remember someone stating something about the brown cobwebby veil, or "cortina" a while ago, and remembered that the name of the genus sounded like "cortina"...pretty funny.

I'll be sure to check out that patch time and time again through the winter. We checked everywhere around that area, looking for any uplifts in the humus, but, there was just nothing else...Im guessing that they just started to produce their fruits recently, that or the boars have been eating them!

Take care everyone, have a merry christmas! :smile:

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #1166890 - 12/24/02 07:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Great pictures bro!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!!!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1166961 - 12/24/02 07:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Last night we had 0mlets with st0re-b0ught, dried Chantrelle mushr00ms,

The mushr00ms were first s0aked in water f0r 30 minutes,
-it was really g00d

Keep it shr00my,
GG  :grin: 

Anonymous

#1167242 - 12/24/02 08:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Some Chantrelles and A. muscaria (Faster loadi [Re: ]
    #1167444 - 12/24/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

That sounds good! :smile: Too bad my girlfriend is a vegan...lol !! I might have to try that out when she's not looking.

So I am drying the chantrelles out, is that a good idea if Im not planning on using them this week? I just sliced them up, then set them on a high powered fan for about a day, they are getting kinda crispy around the edges. Im going to use a disessant (sp) chamber to dry the fruits to a crisp. A food dehydrator would have been nice heh.

Offlinecalishroomer
Looking For Lunatic In TheGrass!

#1202888 - 01/09/03 02:45 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"Last night we had 0mlets with st0re-b0ught, dried Chantrelle mushr00ms"

chantz are great...one of the most prized........i get alot of different bolets here were im at, among other things...... i myself made an omlette the other night for dinner with butter bolets sauted with onions and butter, and topped off with a bit of chedder cheeze........heaven!!!!

nice find....those flyz have to be the prettiest mushroom on the earth........the most photogenic to say the least.

--------------------
"The Lunatic Is In The Grass!!"

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1203361 - 01/09/03 06:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Seeing this thread bumped up I thought I'd chime in with a farily recent incident involving chanterelles.

It seems that we recently had an elderly couple who were poisoned from eating them. We were able to obtain specimens of what they ate, and they were definitely chanterelles. They had been preserved by freezing the raw mushrooms in a ziploc bag. When thawed they had developed a somewhat bitter flavor, but they were eaten anyway. The poisoning was not severe, but they had a long evening of vomiting and diarrhea.

I guess the moral of that story is that, if you intend to freeze your chanterelles (or any mushrooms), make sure you cook them first. Also, regardless of how you preserve mushrooms (or any food), don't just assume that they're still good - check and make sure.

Yeah I know your stuff was back at Xmas time, but I'm tossing this in for future reference for everybody.

Happy mushrooming, everybody!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1203943 - 01/09/03 10:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Great information ToxicMan! :wink:

I dried mine, still have them in my ziplock bag. I need to go back out to see what I can find. Its been real dry 'round here lately however :frown:

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1207353 - 01/10/03 02:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It seems that we recently had an elderly couple who were poisoned from eating them. We were able to obtain specimens of what they ate, and they were definitely chanterelles. They had been preserved by freezing the raw mushrooms in a ziploc bag. When thawed they had developed a somewhat bitter flavor, but they were eaten anyway. The poisoning was not severe, but they had a long evening of vomiting and diarrhea.

Are you sure they weren't false chanterelles (Hygrophoropsis Aurantiaca) or another look alike? I don't recall every hearing of poisoning and/or flavor loss from chanterelles, but I know from experience freezing can cause mushrooms to spoil (it's happened to me on a few occasions with psilocybes).

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Some Chantrelles and A. muscaria (Faster loadi [Re: Remy]
    #1207649 - 01/10/03 04:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The person who did the identification was Marilyn Shaw (you probably don't know her), but she definitely qualifies as an expert. She is one of the authors of the CRC Handbook of Mushroom Poisoning, and I would trust my life to an identification she made. She is the sort who, if she were unsure, would not make a definite statement on an identification. So if she tells me she personally identified them then I will take her word for it. I believe MrMushrooms has also met her and can verify that she does have good mushroom identification skills.

We do have Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca here, but it is not very common, and not very hard to distinguish from chanterelles.

Having said all that, of course we didn't see the mushrooms which were actually eaten. But these people knew how to tell chanterelles from false chanterelles, so we are pretty sure that true chanterelles were the culprit in this case. Or, more accurately, we believe that the method of preservation was the cause of the poisoning.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecalishroomer
Looking For Lunatic In TheGrass!

#1208366 - 01/11/03 02:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

any mushroom, when frozen fresh can spoil, and for sure make you sick as a dog......alwaysa thoroughly cook any fresh ones you are wanting to freeze, or make sure to dry them.....

As a Registered Donor of TheShroomery

, the information contained in any of my posts relating to Mushroom hunting and Identification is information that I have gathered from publicly known sources correspondingly under the same protections of Free Speech governed under the Laws of the United States and Canada and is for informational use only. As my Constitutional Right under United States and Canadian Laws the redistribution of said information is considered a form of free speech. Using this information in the United States or Canada to Illegally prosess or identify any sort of illegal substance or chemical were has been declared against the law in those countries, and as such I do not advocate the illegal use of such information under both the United States and Canadian Laws. All references and examples of personal experiences are hypothetical in nature, and it is your responsibility to know whether information contained within this post is legal according to applicable laws in the country of usage. I will not be held responsible for how you use this information, nor will i be held responsible for any legal problems incurred by you ( the reader).USE THIS INFORMATION WISELY!

--------------------
"The Lunatic Is In The Grass!!"

Anonymous

#1212140 - 01/12/03 02:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract