Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant)
    #11241528 - 10/13/09 08:54 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

I live in an olllldddd building and by that I mean 130-140 years old. It could be pretty nice with some renovations, but no, my landlord is a lazy slumlord. Everything in this place other than plumbing and electrical is original stuff. Know what that means? It's shitty. The seals on the windows have gone to shit, they didn't use insulation when they built the place, and because the landlord is lazy, we have all kinds of issues.

The issue I hate the most is having to winterproof my place every fucking winter. Last winter I almost froze because I didn't find some cracks between the floor boards and molding. I've been working on winter-proofing the place and so far I've sealed cracks in fine detail molding using either caulk cord or tube caulk and filled all gaps I can find with expanding foam. The landlord should be doing all of this shit.

Now it's time to take care of the old ass windows. I have to put ginormous plastic sheets over them to prevent drafts from getting in. I can literally feel cold air pouring in from the window in my room right now. It would be so much easier if my lazy ass jew bastard landlord replaced the windows with something modern that forms a seal. You're probably wondering why I'm bitching about taping plastic around the window frame, right? Well, the window in my room is 96"x53"... Fucking huge. The other windows are 96"x26". Woohoo for 13 foot ceilings. After I fix the windows I'm gonna have my landlord go seal up the vent on the skylight in my bathroom. Taking a shit is like shitting with an air conditioning blowing on you when you are already cold.

Ugh. Fuck this place. I'm friends with the landlord and the rent is cheap for my area, thats why I'm living here. Come May I'm gonna start looking for something else that is affordable yet more livable than this... with a dishwasher.

If you are wondering, yes this is my first apartment and it obviously holds true that all first apartments suck ass.

Anyone else living in a freezing shithole right now because they made a bad choice on their first apartment?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVibes
Good Vibes
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Gumby]
    #11241616 - 10/13/09 09:06 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Talk tom your landlord, he should be doing this stuff. Force him to do it. If he doesn't fix it, no money for rent.

Put your :megacrankey: face on.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Good Vibes:mushroom2:

Edited by Vibes (10/13/09 09:11 PM)

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male

Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Vibes]
    #11241631 - 10/13/09 09:09 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

tell him you wont pay da rent till shit gets fixed:starwars:

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Salomon]
    #11241760 - 10/13/09 09:25 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

That's tough to do when you're renting from a friend. I should have known better not to rent from a friend but I figured that one out the hard way.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Gumby]
    #11241780 - 10/13/09 09:27 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Take it out of next mouths rent.......

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#11241812 - 10/13/09 09:30 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

I feel for you.

I spent a year in an old "carriage house" apartment that was located behind an old mansion.  The inscription on the stone on the side of the house was either 1890 or 1810, I can't remember which.

Once, in the middle of the winter I went into the upstairs attic above the place.  Where the edge of the roof hit the ceiling of the inside apt. I could see daylight.

I routinely has gas bills that were $200+ (I think I broke 300 once).  All in an area that would routinely get 3-4 feet of snow multiple times per year.

The price you pay for "character".

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinecitricacidx
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Brainiac]
    #11241854 - 10/13/09 09:35 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Brainiac said:
Take it out of next mouths rent.......

I like that idea. Just pay your rent next month - the money for materials and labor for winter-proofing his property.

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: badchad]
    #11241907 - 10/13/09 09:40 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Well, one thing I do have going for me is that I don't have to pay utilities because he was too lazy to set up different metered lines for gas and electric, so if it gets cold I can just crank up the space heater.

But if I do that he always breaks my balls about the electric bill being high when we're hanging out. I'm going to just have to get mouthy with him and tell him "Your electric bill wouldn't be an issue if you did the shit a normal landlord does and winter-proofed the apartment."

On the upside though, he does reimburse me for the stuff I buy for fixing the place up. If I owned the place I wouldn't mind doing it myself, and I usually don't here, but I'm really fucking busy lately and don't have time to do it. By the time I get home at 6 or 7 at night I'm too beat to be taping plastic sheeting over a 8 foot tall, 4.5 wide window.

OfflineTaco Chef
running good
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
    #11241963 - 10/13/09 09:47 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

you should give him the ban stick.

--------------------

Offlinecitricacidx
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11242208 - 10/13/09 10:17 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

:bandeodorant:

--------------------

InvisibleRobMarley420
LSD Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
    #11242322 - 10/13/09 10:31 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

I've got the same problem with my apartment too... Cold air leaking in all the cracks and through the windows.
And my landlord pays the heating bill so she's got the thermostat locked at 66.:lockdance: I can't adjust it.
But I found an easy way to bypass that... I just put a bag of frozen vegtables on the thermostat. :lol: Tricks the thermostat into thinking it's cold and the heater comes on.

Fuck my landlord. She can pay the high heating bills if she doesn't want to fix up this dump. :crankey:

--------------------

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: RobMarley420]
    #11242461 - 10/13/09 10:51 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Frozen veggies for the WIN. :rofl:  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: RobMarley420]
    #11242720 - 10/13/09 11:32 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

RobMarley420 said:
I've got the same problem with my apartment too... Cold air leaking in all the cracks and through the windows.
And my landlord pays the heating bill so she's got the thermostat locked at 66.:lockdance: I can't adjust it.
But I found an easy way to bypass that...

:awesome: These things will run you outta the room :flame:

And Gumby, sounds like you have a sweet set up.
I would invest a lil time and money to help yourself and him out.
ask him to help you hang it one afternoon

win win situation :headbang:

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11242757 - 10/13/09 11:36 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

gngsteroflove said:
Frozen veggies for the WIN. :rofl:  :thumbup:

yeah that is a really good idea. I am going to have to store that in a mental file for later use.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #11242783 - 10/13/09 11:40 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Anyone else living in a freezing shithole right now because they made a bad choice on their first apartment?

mine was pretty good, 3rd floor meant I spent less for heating in the
winter, it was a 1400sq foot 2 bedroom, 2 bath, lots of windows for light
and the water was included... $350/mo

even in the ghetto my place was pretty nice

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11243089 - 10/14/09 12:26 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Gumby said:

mine was pretty good, 3rd floor meant I spent less for heating in the
winter, it was a 1400sq foot 2 bedroom, 2 bath, lots of windows for light
and the water was included... $350/mo

even in the ghetto my place was pretty nice

Yeah, but that wasn't in New Jersey where everything is fucking retarded expensive. If this apartment was in Atlanta I'd be paying at most $500/mo. Here it's $700/mo.... Thats for a 500-600sq ft apartment with a long hallway, bathroom (65" x 48"), kitchen(100" x 83"), and bedroom. I'll get pics once I finally finish painting th e fucker. I've been putting it off because the tall ceilings are a bitch and a half. 

As far as the temp goes, the thermostat is set to 68ºF because thats the lowest it can be by law (technically the heating system should maintain the temp at 68 at all times in the winter). The thermostat is on the first floor at the back of the hallway/staircase area (think NYC brownstone houses to get an idea of the hallway). All the tenants on the first floor (including me) don't pay gas, so if we get cold we'll just prop open the front door for about 10 minutes and the temp will drop 5-10 degrees in the hallway. That kinda makes me feel bad for my friends at the top the building (heat rises, duh) but they have windows they can open if it gets too hot.

OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
    #11243259 - 10/14/09 01:02 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Are you using the plastic sheets that you blow-dry or iron afterwards? Those things always made a noticeable difference on our room temps/gas bill.

--------------------

"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

Offlineeviscerated
drugbunny
Female

Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: DrMambo]
    #11243328 - 10/14/09 01:17 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Nice rant, Gumby -- made me grin like an ass with memories of shitty apartments I've had.

Priz, where the fuck were you renting a 1400sqft 2br/2ba for $350!??  I've got a 1500sqft 3br/2.5ba ground floor (kinda) condo-style for fucking $1000/mo (and that's with my haggled rent discount of $100 since I was promised and jewed out of the unit I originally wanted)  AND this is low-income housing!  AND I'm fucking unemployed right now!  :crankey:

--------------------

Looking for: AUS, Cambo, F+, KSS, Lipa Yai, PE, PR, TEX, AF/TR or others  //  My strains: ARG, B+, HAW, Malay, MDK, SA, TAS, Yos(EQ), Z Strain(GT)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #11244304 - 10/14/09 07:59 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

I have the same deal.

12-foot ceilings, 16 double-tall windows, and a 100+ year old building.

Oh, and my heating vents, rather than being on the floor, are located on the ceiling.

Yes, the ceiling.

It's incredibly stupid and I too have to put up a shit-ton of plastic every winter or face thousand dollar per month heating bills.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleRobMarley420
LSD Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
Re: Fuck winter-proofing my place and fuck my lazy landlord (a rant) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #11244424 - 10/14/09 09:15 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

:lol:

Heating vents on the ceiling???

I hope you have a ceiling fan...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Toilet Paper

Community >> The Pub