Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: pfxtc]
    #11212390 -

Like I said, most people can't seem to grasp the argument.

Instead they spout how great the Beatles were and then laugh.

Yet most of those people also bitch about the music industry and the state of pop today. I know you're one of the people that is big on the 60s and such. Well why the fuck do you think pop sounds like it does?

The Beatles, that's why.

Edit: I never said pop music started with the Beatles. Pop music as we now know it can greatly be attributed to the Beatles. Why do you think they are hailed as the greatest band of all time? While they were superb musicians they couldn't hold a candle to Coltrane or Davis.
Their influence is what makes them, arguably, the "greatest" band ever.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #11212394 -

KrishnaDreamer said:
no, i agree...

jonas brothers > beatles

:snowman:



They just havn't tried LSD yet,

once they do oh man it's gonna change the world.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212401 -

jewunit said:
Like I said, most people can't seem to grasp the argument.

Instead they spout how great the Beatles were and then laugh.

Yet most of those people also bitch about the music industry and the state of pop today. I know you're one of the people that is big on the 60s and such. Well why the fuck do you think pop sounds like it does?

The Beatles, that's why.

Edit: I never said pop music started with the Beatles. Pop music as we now know it can greatly be attributed to the Beatles. Why do you think they are hailed as the greatest band of all time? While they were superb musicians they couldn't hold a candle to Coltrane or Davis.
Their influence is what makes them, arguably, the "greatest" band ever.



Oh yeah, calling me stupid is going to make me understand your argument. Pop sounds like it does because people are told that this kind of music is popular and cool to listen to, so they listen to, and this type of music just sucks in the masses and has no soul. The Beatles past HELP! were hardly a pop band by any standards - they grew to be much more then that. There's never been a group as big as them since, so I think it's kind of insane to blame them for the state of popular music 45 years later.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (10/09/09 12:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: pfxtc]
    #11212403 -

Drugs and music go hand in hand. Bill hicks does a joke about it i think.


--------------------
Don't smell the flowers, They're an evil drug to make you lose your mind

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212410 -

no... cavemen were the greatest musicians ever... they in fact, influenced everyone.

:snowman:


--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: pfxtc]
    #11212414 -

I didn't mean to imply you were stupid.

Better wording would be something like "People refuse to accept/think about/try and understand the argument"
Instead most people just brush it off.
It is hard to listen to an argument that points out why your favorite music is bad. I don't get why people seem to think attacks on musical taste are attacks on them.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #11212421 -

im listening to the beetles right now.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212424 -

no, your brand of music sucks!

invariably, they suck because they were influenced by someone else.


--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212430 -

jewunit said:
I didn't mean to imply you were stupid.

Better wording would be something like "People refuse to accept/think about/try and understand the argument"
Instead most people just brush it off.
It is hard to listen to an argument that points out why your favorite music is bad. I don't get why people seem to think attacks on musical taste are attacks on them.



Well I apologize I did come off harsh.

I just don't agree with the argument, I get what you're saying - it's the same thing people said/say about Nirvana. You're "pointing out" why my favorite music is bad is kind of an awkward statement, you thinking it is bad isn't in fact saying it's BAD music, you just dislike it - it's all personal taste I suppose. Goes the same way for you though, you seem to have some kind of predispositional dislike for the Beatles like many people today do. Hell I love the Beatles, they got me into the music I listen to now. Limiting the Beatles to their first 3 albums and marking them as a pop band usually bugs me as well, that's like judging Pink Floyd by their last 3 albums :tongue2:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (10/09/09 12:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212433 -

Meh:shrug:

Honestly, while the Beatles were a huge influence on pop music, they are not even close to the only one.

And I'm not going to judge a band based on the music they (a lot of the time indirectly) influenced. There's a ton of pop music that I hear 0% beatles influence in.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #11212436 -

all music was influenced by someone else. its not possible to create truely original music.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212446 -

jewunit said:
The Beatles ruined music.




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: sui]
    #11212447 -

not if you popped out your mom's vagina playing a pair of bongos.


--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #11212464 -

KrishnaDreamer said:
not if you popped out your mom's vagina playing a pair of bongos.



it was a tambourine but what do i care :snub:


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: pfxtc]
    #11212468 -

I never said they were bad. I said they ruined music. You didn't come as harsh, it was a reasonable response from you.

I also said this is an argument I find intriguing and more interesting to bring up than "Hey, I don't really care one way or the other about the Beatles, but I get the appeal."

Most people who claim to dislike the Beatles rarely have any valid reason to do so. It's just become "cool" to dislike them because they are poppy (which ignores a shitload of their work), or it proves how into alternative genres they are, or whatever.

The difference in my mind between Nirvana and the Beatles is Nirvana helped detract from what was an obviously devolving popular music scene. Whereas what was popular before the Beatles, in my mind, was fine. Nirvana saved popular music, the Beatles changed it and created what we have today.

That said I don't much care for Nirvana either, but for different reasons.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212479 -

jewunit said:
I never said they were bad. I said they ruined music. You didn't come as harsh, it was a reasonable response from you.

I also said this is an argument I find intriguing and more interesting to bring up than "Hey, I don't really care one way or the other about the Beatles, but I get the appeal."

Most people who claim to dislike the Beatles rarely have any valid reason to do so. It's just become "cool" to dislike them because they are poppy (which ignores a shitload of their work), or it proves how into alternative genres they are, or whatever.

The difference in my mind between Nirvana and the Beatles is Nirvana helped detract from what was an obviously devolving popular music scene. Whereas what was popular before the Beatles, in my mind, was fine. Nirvana saved popular music, the Beatles changed it and created what we have today.

That said I don't much care for Nirvana either, but for different reasons.



Fair enough. The only reason I like Nirvana is because they shoved the stake into the heart of 80's glam and hair metal, which I will never cease thanking them for.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212488 -

that's pretty retarded.

nirvana was just popular toward a different scene, in that respect, they are exactly alike.

how are the beatles any different from johnny cash, the doors, or coltrane? they're all popular, different only that they appeal to different groups.

fail argument.


--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #11212501 -

apperently good music has to be heard by a small audience.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #11212507 -

Considering the Beatles came before the Doors and helped create a scene for them to thrive it that helps my argument.

Johnny Cash nor Coltrane became pop music after the Beatles.
In fact some would argue the Beatles helped destroy jazz's popularity. Pop music is much easier to grab onto than jazz, and the Beatles made some of the poppiest music ever when they first came about.

Johnny Cash isn't pop music.

All three sold less albums than the Beatles.

Johnny Cash's influence is much smaller on current pop than the Beatles.

Nirvana didn't have nearly the same influence on pop music that the Beatles did. I'm not denying their enormous influence though.

In fact, I'm not even sure your "counterpoint" makes any sense.

You could at least bring up Michael Jackson or boy bands that sold more record than the Beatles.

Edit: Suimush: Again I'll state that I never, in this thread, said the Beatles mad bad music.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: John Lennon, born October 9th 1940 [Re: jewunit]
    #11212521 -

your argument is retarded.

i'm not sure if you're just trolling or if you're serious.

so anything in the "pop" genre is automatically crap?

the more influence a band has is automatically crap?


--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Today is John Lennon's Birthday Anonymous 597 3 10/09/03 07:36 PM
by TheCow
* John Lennon - 'imagine' , LSD and the government,.
( 1 2 all )
Ogla 4,198 23 03/28/07 02:21 PM
by WhiskeyClone
* John Lennon - "Rolling Stone LSD Interview" (mp3) LearyfanS 1,541 2 07/30/03 12:03 PM
by Anonymous
* John Lennon on Punk, Reggae and Disco (mp3) LearyfanS 5,129 4 02/09/05 08:16 PM
by Learyfan
* John Lennon - "Child Of Nature (early 'Jealous Guy')" (mp3) LearyfanS 797 1 12/08/05 10:14 PM
by geokills
* R.I.P. John Lennon IAmTheWalrus212 1,289 16 12/08/04 10:57 PM
by Golgi
* Which One Is YOUR John Lennon? ivi 894 5 11/12/07 02:33 PM
by greys
* John Lennon - Amsterdam bed-in for peace (mp3) LearyfanS 912 2 03/26/05 09:18 PM
by Vvellum

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,018 topic views. 4 members, 66 guests and 264 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.041 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.