Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Easy first reptile?
    #10716335 -

Technically it'd be my second, as a child I had a small boa. I finally have a job now and for awhile I have been thinking about getting a reptile. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a ton of money (under 100). I saw a frog that was $20 with a tank that was only $14. Is there any other reptiles who do not need tons of lights and all that? I know a few of you have reptiles, so please share! I'd love to get a trippy looking lizard to play with :smile:


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716367 -

a leopard geckos only needs a heat lamp,doesn't benefit from UV rays

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: OogieBoogie]
    #10716372 -

Do you know off hand how powerful it needs to be? Can it double as a Marijuana light :crazy2:

I suppose then I could make the investment.


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716380 -

Frogs aren't reptiles!


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Lion]
    #10716382 -

green anole dude

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716400 -

well a red bulb which is pretty much for heat only,that and the lamp holder will run about 15-25 dollars.i had 3 that i got rid of not too long ago.now i miss the little bastards.they really had personalities

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: jeihan]
    #10716401 -

Get a turtle.





--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716411 -

iguana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Lion]
    #10716426 -

Lion said:
Frogs aren't reptiles!



I'm aware :smirk:

That doesn't sound too bad. Probably end up costing me about $100 all in all. I do like the lepoard geckos.

Big fan of veiled chameleons as well. This green anole looks awesome too. What are the specs on those little guys?


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #10716435 -

don't get a green anole those things are boring, you can barely pick em up.
get a fucking chameleon or a water dragon.your gonna get what you paid for 5  dollar lizards don't like to be fucked with half the time.80 dollar adult gecko you can pick up if your careful because of its tail.gecko is the way to go :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: OogieBoogie]
    #10716452 -

chameleons are the shit for sure. green anoles are cheap and if for some reason you kill it it was only 5 bucks instead of 80.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #10716455 -

OogieBoogie said:
a leopard geckos only needs a heat lamp,doesn't benefit from UV rays



Leopard geckos, fat-tail geckos, crested geckos, and bearded dragons are all EXCELLENT first reptiles. Generally nice, not too skittish, easy to take care of and feed. Crested geckos are especially easy to take care of as they don't require live food, though they do like it as a tread. 

jeihan said:
green anole dude



Most boring reptile ever. I'll leave them in the yard. You can't handle them much either. They bite and they are quick to run away. Just a crappy pet in general, IMO.


blewmeanie said:
Get a turtle.



Turtles suck as a first reptile. The set up is mad expensive. All water turtles grow to at least 4-6inches which means they really need at least a 30 gallon tank to be happy. And they need UVA/UVB lamps to produce vitamin d/calcium, and they need filters for the water. And they shit a lot so you have to do water changes. Bad idea for a novice keeper.

If you're interested in amphibians or snakes, let me know and I can suggest some of those too. I've kept reptiles for about 15 years and I'm contemplating getting my masters in herpetology, so I might be able to help ya out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716469 -

Quote:
Leopard geckos, fat-tail geckos, crested geckos, and bearded dragons are all EXCELLENT first reptiles. Generally nice, not too skittish, easy to take care of and feed. Crested geckos are especially easy to take care of as they don't require live food, though they do like it as a tread. 



Can I say hold these and play with them?


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: jeihan]
    #10716473 -

jeihan said:
chameleons are the shit for sure. green anoles are cheap and if for some reason you kill it it was only 5 bucks instead of 80.



Chameleons are not reptiles for beginners. That's why they die so easily. They have a lot of special requirements for their habitat. You're not supposed to handle them because the oils on your skin will irritate them and the also have very brittle bones and their health fails when they are subjected to stress.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716490 -

Rocker232 said:
Quote:
Leopard geckos, fat-tail geckos, crested geckos, and bearded dragons are all EXCELLENT first reptiles. Generally nice, not too skittish, easy to take care of and feed. Crested geckos are especially easy to take care of as they don't require live food, though they do like it as a tread. 



Can I say hold these and play with them?



You'd have better luck holding and playing with leopard geckos, fat-tails, and bearded dragons.

My crested gecko is one skittish mofo, but that could be because I just don't handle him enough. I have 13 foot ceiling in my apartment, if he escaped I'd never catch him. Crested geckos can climb walls/window/ceilings, the other lizards mentioned can't.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Gumby]
    #10716499 -

Okay. Going to definitely look around tonight. I'm really psyched about this. Thanks for all the help guys I will definitely be back at some point with questions!


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Rocker232]
    #10716508 -

Try checking craigslist for whatever you decide to do. Thats where I got a lot of the animals I have and they're usually much cheaper and (usually) in better health than you'd find them in at a pet store.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: Gumby]
    #10716528 -

It varies from reptile to reptile, but geckos and bearded dragons tend to be best to hold. Again though, it varies. You have to let them get used to you and then hold them, because any reptile is going to be weirded out by a big fucking hand touching it. I hold my leopard gecko quite a bit, that being said. Also, if you need any help setting up anything you eventually pick, I can point you in the direction of a few nice guides, just shoot me a PM. I've been registered on a few reptile forums ever since I got in to them 5 or so years back. Reptiles are really badass though, very cool.


--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: gzuf]
    #10716631 -

:oogieboogie:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy first reptile? [Re: OogieBoogie]
    #10716650 -

Way to add absolutely nothing to the thread. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Reptiles lovers??
( 1 2 3 all )
trauma47645 4,372 42 12/18/06 04:56 PM
by trauma47645
* Chameleons! Shroom_Herder 696 6 12/15/04 03:16 PM
by Shroom_Herder
* Pet Chameleon metalmorph 765 9 08/09/08 05:40 AM
by flexintexan
* New Chameleon Glass MycoCakeEater 821 7 09/20/06 02:05 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Easy chair chinacat72 783 2 04/19/06 06:39 PM
by chinacat72
* I need an easy way to make money so that I never have to work again
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
RandalFlagg 6,416 100 12/05/06 11:47 AM
by Jadian
* Easy easy easy visual illusion - very very cool freddurgan 761 11 07/03/05 07:53 PM
by kosmic_charlie
* need a quick easy way to destroy a hard drive
( 1 2 3 4 all )
m1ndriot 3,794 63 09/19/06 08:02 PM
by Prisoner#1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,580 topic views. 8 members, 91 guests and 244 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.