Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Shroomism]
    #10669130 -

He made me this semi spicy salad to try out as well that was really good.  It looked like basically carrot shards, bits of cabbage, and something else crunchy, but the sauce was definitely something to write home about. 

Something else I've learned.  Wasabi paste is a LOT HOTTER fresh than it is on those wasabi peas and the premade supermarket sushi!  It's a good thing I'm trying to develop my taste for spicy foods or I would NOT have enjoyed that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: Newbie]
    #10669139 -

.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: z_x_x_z]
    #10669146 -

If it's REAL wasabi paste, from the actual wasabi root, then yeah it is gonna be way hotter than that premade horseradish imitation wasabi BS.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Newbie]
    #10669147 -

Newbie said:
He made me this semi spicy salad to try out as well that was really good.  It looked like basically carrot shards, bits of cabbage, and something else crunchy, but the sauce was definitely something to write home about. 

Something else I've learned.  Wasabi paste is a LOT HOTTER fresh than it is on those wasabi peas and the premade supermarket sushi!  It's a good thing I'm trying to develop my taste for spicy foods or I would NOT have enjoyed that.



Yeah, the fresher the better. Wasabi loses it's heat EXTREMELY fast.

Good to hear about your sushi experiences. Im lucky, my mom came from japan and makes very good sushi and other japanese delectables :yesnod:


--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: mikeisapro]
    #10669163 -

.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: z_x_x_z]
    #10669232 -

dr_gonz said:
post pics of your japanese mom, please. I like.



:nonono:


--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Shroomism]
    #10669248 -

When people ask me what sushi tastes like I usually tell them a mix of "fresh" and "healthy".


--------------------

"It's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world." -Lester Burnham

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Newbie]
    #10669252 -

God I love sushi. I haven't been to a sushi place in ages.. this thread has me drooling like a dog.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Shroomism]
    #10669254 -

Even the sushi they have at supermarkets that isn't great quality is awesome, the stuff from sushi bars is orgasmic.  I'd eat it all the time if it were cheaper.


--------------------
Space is
the Place
:aum:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Jeffedelic]
    #10669352 -

If you have the funds and it is available at the bar, try blow fish. A very strange feeling of whether or not you are going to die and if it will taste good will swell over your head.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: TrancedShroom]
    #10669362 -

.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: z_x_x_z]
    #10669379 -

I dunno, that Billy May's died recently and that's been quite a few celebs recently.  :strokebeard2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: TrancedShroom]
    #10669710 -

Or you could try... Picking mushrooms to get that same feeling :laugh:


--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: TrancedShroom]
    #10669779 -

TrancedShroom said:
If you have the funds and it is available at the bar, try blow fish. A very strange feeling of whether or not you are going to die and if it will taste good will swell over your head.



They only serve fugu(pufferfish) in a few restaurants in the US. It's HEAVILY regulated by the FDA. Most of the restaurants are in New York City, there may be a few on the west coast too, but there are probably under 20 in the US, maybe even under 10 at this point. I checked into it a few years ago... The cheapest place for fugu in NYC is $110. But they do give you all the meat you can eat from the fish. It'll be a good 10-15 years before I can afford a meal like that.

Eating fugu is a real risk though. It doesn't take much tetrodotoxin at all to kill someone. That said, I'd give it a try once I can afford it.

Edited by Gumby (07/13/09 03:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Gumby]
    #10669854 -

I was able to try it in Hawaii. It taste like....like fish. Really, really expensive fish.

When the sushi master cut it he served me a complimentary Saki to go along with it and people watched me eat it all around the bar. That wasn't very comforting. I thought that people just bought a pay-per-view death match. TrancedShroom vs. The Puffer!

The Saki was good though.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Gumby]
    #10669862 -

It's pretty popular in Japan.... the person preparing it has to be specially licensed to cut fugu.. which takes years of practice.
Even still, tons of people in Japan die from it each year.. because one wrong cut a millimeter off can mean enough tetrodotoxin to kill 5 people.
But just the tiniest, tiniest bit of it, is enough to make the lips go numb when you eat it. So people eat it for the "rush".
Personally, I would never fuck with it. My sushi chef guy said he would never fuck with it either.. it's way too dangerous,
even if you have a professional cutting it.. even guys that have been doing it for 20 years have been known to screw up a cut from time to time.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Shroomism]
    #10670104 -

Id still like to try it...kind of. Im suprised they didnt make you sign some kind of liability waiver. you know americans and their lawsuits :rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: misfitdeviate]
    #10670114 -

I'd be interested to try it too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: misfitdeviate]
    #10670129 -

I'm fairly sure any place that serves fugu in the US would make you sign a waiver first


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just had my first REAL sushi roll. [Re: Newbie]
    #10670136 -

Newbie said:
I wanted to try ALL of that but my money was limited.  :lol:  I definitely want to try the sea urchin next.



Sea urchin is:puke:


Also usually the most expensive...some people love it, but they are few and far between IME.


--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* can anyone here roll joints one handed?
( 1 2 all )
_Shrew_ 5,923 21 11/07/03 11:14 PM
by Hanky
* Sushi Restaurant Job
( 1 2 all )
PDU 3,737 28 11/21/03 02:42 AM
by felix
* The Adom & Iluan's fishing chronicles..
( 1 2 3 all )
iluan 6,137 49 08/02/04 07:54 PM
by notapillow
* Fishing Blues
( 1 2 all )
Adom 5,072 32 08/22/04 09:13 AM
by kosmic_charlie
* SuShi
( 1 2 all )
danlennon3 2,928 21 05/10/05 12:01 PM
by danlennon3
* Buddy Holly: Master Dreamcrafter, Rock-n-Roll Messiah I_Fart_Blue 1,884 6 04/30/03 05:20 PM
by I_Fart_Blue
* I got a job at a sushi bar
( 1 2 3 4 all )
ShroomismM 5,980 79 09/17/05 01:51 PM
by Simisu
* The all around Fishing thread 2Experimental 958 5 05/13/04 09:30 PM
by 2Experimental

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,463 topic views. 1 members, 300 guests and 185 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.