Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like?
    #10426790 -

I've got both incarnata and edulis sown (in theory, though the edulis have had a rough life, and I'm expecting an abysmal germination rate from them) in an outdoor garden.  The garden grew out last summer since I was mucking around in Georgia, Azerbaijan, and later Detroit, so it is rampant with weed seedlings this year.  So now it's going to be a question of what's Passiflora, and what's a weed?

Are their seed leaves at all unique, or are they nondescript?  I searched but couldn't find any pictures of seedlings.  Also, what sort of time-frame should I be expecting them up by?  I assume they're pretty dependent on soil temperature...


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: Horticulture]
    #10426866 -

The cotyledons are plain-jane, oval, incarnata cotyledons are like plain round ovals, edulis are longer, almost retangular. 

Just wait and let things grow a bit to tell what they are, can't go wrong there.  If you pay attention you can learn to ID the different local 'weed' species, which is valuable.


--------------------
tradelist

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: plainswalker]
    #10426873 -

Quote:
what's Passiflora, and what's a weed?



I think passiflora is a weed :yesnod:


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: layzdapipe]
    #10426897 -

Pshaw. A weed is an unwanted plant. In this case, passiflora is the wanted plant, disqualifying it from being a weed.  Now when it grows in my hay fields, then it's a weed (cows have no use for novel alkaloids or Passion Fruits).


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: layzdapipe]
    #10426902 -

Honestly... I started some Passiflora 20 days ago, and not a single seed has germinated yet, otherwise I'd let ya know.


--------------------
My Kratom Experience

>>::(My Garden - Updated 6-16-09!)::<<
(Nelumbo Nucifera) - (Desmanthus Illinois) - (Delosperma Cooperi)
(Coleus) - (Morning Glory H.B.) - (Klip Dagga) - (Nicotiana Rustica)
(Sinicuichi) - (Mimosa Hostilis)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #10426974 -

Yeah. I get the impression that they're a bitch to start.  I actually have a bunch of different locations, and am trying the wet-newspaper method for some of the edulis. 

Oh, and thanks plainswalker for the description. I'll keep my eyes peeled.


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: Horticulture]
    #10427025 -

Yeah, I can confirm for you that the "soak in water" method doesn't produce favorable results, as I've had some submersed in water for 20 days (like how I do Blue Lotus) and there have been zero results what-so-ever. I also placed some in soil 1/2inch deep in the shade, some in the same conditions in the sun... nothing yet. Ironically I haven't tried any in jiffy pellets under flouro's, so that method may prove fruitful.

In any case, it is apparent that passionflower should be started in january if you plan on having it ready for the growing season. (har har)

No seriously, I think it may require cold stratification, or maybe the germination time-frame is more than a month, I'll know one way or another by next year.


--------------------
My Kratom Experience

>>::(My Garden - Updated 6-16-09!)::<<
(Nelumbo Nucifera) - (Desmanthus Illinois) - (Delosperma Cooperi)
(Coleus) - (Morning Glory H.B.) - (Klip Dagga) - (Nicotiana Rustica)
(Sinicuichi) - (Mimosa Hostilis)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #10427050 -

Yeah.  In all likelihood, I will probably just try to harvest what I can find in the hay-field, then get an earlier start on it next year.  It'd still be nice to have some edulis vining in my greenhouse over the winter though...


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: Horticulture]
    #10427062 -

Take cuttings then?


--------------------
My Kratom Experience

>>::(My Garden - Updated 6-16-09!)::<<
(Nelumbo Nucifera) - (Desmanthus Illinois) - (Delosperma Cooperi)
(Coleus) - (Morning Glory H.B.) - (Klip Dagga) - (Nicotiana Rustica)
(Sinicuichi) - (Mimosa Hostilis)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: demonicaeroponic]
    #10427129 -

If I go that route, I might as well just transplant one. Come to think of it, if I find a nice specimen, I might do that. Originally I had wanted the seeds to see how they compare to the wild ones (in terms of fruit, as my wild incarnata are pretty bland).  At this point, just having a reliable source of leaves to smoke over winter would be nice.


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: Horticulture]
    #10427241 -

I've had good luck germinating passiflora seed in moist soil in a hot, sunny location.


--------------------
tradelist

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: Horticulture]
    #10428658 -

Quote:
I've had some submersed in water for 20 days (like how I do Blue Lotus)



Well thats your problem there....they are not lotus, or even aquatic.  i do mine like plains walker does his.  plant in moist soil...of almost any kind...and keep warm.  i dont keep mine in direct sun, but good light still.  The seeds do last at least a little as i have germ'd year old seeds. 

i have never tried it but i wonder if the fruits picked too early for sale dont develop the seeds enough or in a certain way and can make it harder for store bought fruit to grow from seed....or maybe they do something to the fruits that sterilize the seeds?  whenever i sowed the seeds, most were up by week 2.


--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone know what Passiflora seed leaves look like? [Re: kadakuda]
    #10438638 -

Update:
I cheated like hell and dug up 4 incarnatas from my farm (I found a spot in a field that was just stupid with them).  I'm going to post pictures of those when they don't look like crap from the transplant shock (I'm actually a little worried that I'm going to lose the one I put in my greenhouse).  Hopefully they have nice fruits, as this is a population that I was previously unaware of. 

There's also something up in a spot where I planted some edulis.  Whatever this is, it has cotyledons that are about the right size, though I worry that it might just be a hollyhock or something stupid (it's in a mix with some garden soil, so God only knows what it is).  We'll just wait and see.


--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Passiflora incarnata
( 1 2 all )
Teotzlcoatl 5,056 30 07/10/07 02:12 PM
by Teotzlcoatl
* Passiflora Incarnata
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Acaterpillar 8,996 75 07/27/07 12:33 AM
by Acaterpillar
* Growing Passiflora Caerula from seeds stefan 812 1 04/19/03 03:28 PM
by DazedSol
* Passiflora Incarnata satyr 1,316 8 06/03/08 03:06 PM
by satyr
* Oh my goodness Passiflora Caerulea! fatalerror 4,016 17 09/20/05 01:33 PM
by pod3
* Passiflora petiole nectar Taharka 636 1 10/28/05 04:32 PM
by pod3
* Passiflora incarnata, Ant Guardians, and the complexity of nature. Horticulture 1,488 7 06/14/09 11:34 PM
by kadakuda
* seed starting on agar? OOKLA 1,490 5 08/05/04 12:31 PM
by Baby_Hitler

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
656 topic views. 1 members, 10 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.