Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
The New Owners of The Cubs
    #9663041 -

Sound like my kind of people. :rockon:

I hope this means we won't see a renaming of Wrigley in my lifetime.


--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9663611 -

They'll have their hat in hand for a new stadium soon enough.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9664303 -

Pretty excited about this.  I've been following it relatively closely, and Ricketts was definitely my first choice.

Why would they have bought the stadium if they didn't want to use it?  They didn't need to buy it.

It doesn't make any sense to pay the extra hundreds of millions for Wrigley if you're just going to tear it down and move to Northbrook.


--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9664337 -

Maybe they can win a playoff series now.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: robbyberto]
    #9664412 -

Thanks for ruining my entire day.

:crankey:


--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9664474 -

Haha, that was easy.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9665270 -

I take it back. They did win the division series in 2007. They should win the NL central again this year. I wish them luck with their new owners.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: robbyberto]
    #9665923 -

I was interested to hear what MTT had to say, knowing that he's closer to the source.

Zap, why would they tear down Wrigley? It's a cash cow and a mecca. We Cubs fans value and appreciate the history of baseball, even if the gods have chosen us to suffer for our love, and the sake of the game. We are like the monks of baseball, suffering and small.

This ain't NY, where fans cheer you one day and boo you the next as their whims change. This is Cubbieville, where we always have hope, want to play two, and don't turn our back on our heros or our home. :nono:


--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9666208 -

No offense, because you know I love you but that is exactly the type of attitude that is, thankfully, not seen much around Wrigley anymore.

For too long everyone would show up, drink some beer, cheer on the Cubbies, and not worry whether we won or lost.

But lately the fans are much smarter, demanding at least an attempt at success for their hard-earned dollars.  Remember, the Tribune Co. owned the Cubs throughout all of the 1980's and 90's, where the Cubs were perennial shit.  I for one love to hear the boos that are flying around Wrigley lately.

It means the fans are paying attention.


--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9667139 -

whattheheck said:
I was interested to hear what MTT had to say, knowing that he's closer to the source.

Zap, why would they tear down Wrigley? It's a cash cow and a mecca. We Cubs fans value and appreciate the history of baseball, even if the gods have chosen us to suffer for our love, and the sake of the game. We are like the monks of baseball, suffering and small.

This ain't NY, where fans cheer you one day and boo you the next as their whims change. This is Cubbieville, where we always have hope, want to play two, and don't turn our back on our heros or our home. :nono:



I know it's the temple of mediocrity but the only reason I said that about Wrigley is that it is so old.  I mean really really old.  At some point all structures pass beyond intensive care and enter a do not resuscitate stage.  The new owners may actually want to increase revenue.  And win.  I'm just guessing here.  I could be wrong.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9668344 -

Like the Red Sox?


--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9668817 -

Madtowntripper said:
No offense, because you know I love you but that is exactly the type of attitude that is, thankfully, not seen much around Wrigley anymore.

For too long everyone would show up, drink some beer, cheer on the Cubbies, and not worry whether we won or lost.

But lately the fans are much smarter, demanding at least an attempt at success for their hard-earned dollars.  Remember, the Tribune Co. owned the Cubs throughout all of the 1980's and 90's, where the Cubs were perennial shit.  I for one love to hear the boos that are flying around Wrigley lately.

It means the fans are paying attention.



Amen. I guess I'm going to have to accept that the "loveable losers" are no more. If we could, we'd spend like the Yanks and Sawx. And that's cool. I remember when the biggest free agent pickup we had in a long while was George freaking Bell, so I'm ready to let those days go.

But booing? Wow. I've never been there, but I would figure that only happens if the beer runs out.


--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9668833 -

I don't know how you would do it, but it seems that eventually the Cubs will have to either update and upgrade Wrigley, or tear it down and build a modernized replica in it's place.

I don't know. Out of all the parks, Wrigley has always seemed to me like the one that could NEVER go. Of course, that may change after we start winning titles.


--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9668942 -

Madtowntripper said:
No offense, because you know I love you but that is exactly the type of attitude that is, thankfully, not seen much around Wrigley anymore.

For too long everyone would show up, drink some beer, cheer on the Cubbies, and not worry whether we won or lost.

But lately the fans are much smarter, demanding at least an attempt at success for their hard-earned dollars.  Remember, the Tribune Co. owned the Cubs throughout all of the 1980's and 90's, where the Cubs were perennial shit.  I for one love to hear the boos that are flying around Wrigley lately.

It means the fans are paying attention.



Cubs fans are outgrowing Wrigley and are finally goal oriented?

I am no Cubs fan but its good to hear that their fans are finally moving past the "past" and are demanding a better future.

I always hated to see them pour into Miller Park and steal our hibachis on their way back south to the border, but they are passionate fans....


--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9669123 -

whattheheck said:
I don't know how you would do it, but it seems that eventually the Cubs will have to either update and upgrade Wrigley, or tear it down and build a modernized replica in it's place.

I don't know. Out of all the parks, Wrigley has always seemed to me like the one that could NEVER go. Of course, that may change after we start winning titles.



Here's the plan.

The Cubs have owned for many years a parking lot west of the stadium, but the city government would never let them build on it.  But the two sides have recently come to agreements and the Cubs plan to build something similar to the picture below.  The plan is to move both the clubhouses, the training facilities, offices, and batting cages to this new building which will have tunnels directly to the stadium for the players.

This should alleviate most of the space problems Wrigley has now, as well as allowing for extra space for fan amenities.  This picture also shows the new bleacher arrangements...



MLB link for more information = http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/expansion.jsp


--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9669179 -

I could weep right now. Just weep.


--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9670755 -

Here's some extra articles from Yesterdays' Tribune that you might like to read.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-sat-cubs-economics-0124-jan24,0,5276415.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-24-cubs-changes-chicagojan24,0,5693918.story

I would likely discount most of the second one.  Paul Sullivan is a complete jackass.  But the first is really good.  I love the discussion of a tv network.


--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9670963 -

Thanks for the links. I'm excited about this. But the cynic in me says the only good this will do is allow us to give players way too much money and thereby drive prices even further through the roof.

On the other hand it's not as if the Yanks or Sawx are going to stop spending, and I'd like to see a title before I kick the can, so what the heck??


--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: whattheheck]
    #9690312 -

Maybe I'm just being a typical cubs fan but I'm feeling pretty good about this upcoming season

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The New Owners of The Cubs [Re: gizagaza]
    #9690364 -

gizagaza said:
Maybe I'm just being a typical cubs fan but I'm feeling *****deleted for nonsense content*****




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: psilocybinjunkie, 13shrooms
1,134 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.