Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #8889064 -

It's better, and that's what we used to do occasionally back in the day as a courtesy. But then you can't tell the anonymous posters apart, which gets confusing if there's more than one in a thread. You can't ignore them, or search their posts, or check their ratings. Whenever they were quoted, their name will still show up unless we perform a resource-intensive search and replace through multiple GBs of text (which requires temporarily closing the board). People would complain about messages disappearing from their inbox (there are no provisions for anonymous PMs). And after all that, there may still be traces in our access and error logs for up to a week. Then the original posters would complain when they changed their mind, but couldn't reclaim their account. No, I really think it's better if people just take ownership of their posts, and consider in advance the fact that they are using a public website, with all the possible repercussions. We offer the security and safety forum, we offer encrypted PMs, we offer privacy options to block offsite images and links, we offer SSL connections for supporters, we really do our best but at some point you have to draw the line and say "no, you cannot erase your identity from every post because you heard a weird clicking sound on the phone when you were talking to your dealer".

With that said, if you do not check the "remember me" box when logging in, even if your PC is seized it is unlikely that anyone would be able trace your posts back to you conclusively unless they serve us with a warrant. No deleting, name changing or anonymization necessary. It's not impossible, but I suspect it's beyond the capabilities of most local law enforcement. This is doubly true if you always access the site via SSL, or just disable cookies and your browser cache. Even simple precautions like posting in the third person can offer you some protection if worst comes to worst. Give us a break and take some responsibility, we do a lot to ensure your privacy here but we won't allow an individual to disrupt the site's operations for everyone else, even in the rare case where their paranoia may be justified (which as I said, we're in no position to judge anyway).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #8889505 -

ISP's have access to every site you visit and im sure much much more.  and its pretty much law that they give in to all requests for this infomation, warrent or not.

and i think an even bigger reason for accounts not being deleted is that the shroomery could possibly be deleting evidence, and i wager this is the main reason they don't do it anymore.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #8889606 -

just out of curiosity. are user's personal info like IP/mac addresses ever subpoenaed by the feds?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #16]
    #8889621 -

^^and how often does it happen?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #16]
    #8889970 -

Anonymous #16 said:
just out of curiosity. are user's personal info like IP/mac addresses ever subpoenaed by the feds?



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #17]
    #8890211 -

So, I obviously cannot complain about the terms of service, but a lot can happen between the time the TOS is agreed to, and a users involvement with the community.  There may come a time when someone might not want to be associated with the site.  This doesn't necessarily have to be due to dire legal consequences.

I mean, as a quick example, someone just posted an image in the pub.  Moments later they said: "Wait, this image came from the lab I work in, I don't want people to know that".

Someday in the future, this person may become a famous scientist at a well known university, and they might not want people knowing their association here.  I know other members are going to law school, and could become well-known or upstanding members in a community.

I guess in the end it does come down to personal responsibility, but once you click the TOS, you never know where life will take you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #16]
    #8890632 -

Anonymous #16 said:
just out of curiosity. are user's personal info like IP/mac addresses ever subpoenaed by the feds?



No, this has never happened. Just to be perfectly clear, as far as I am aware, in all our 11 years of operation there have been absolutely no legal incidents related to or involving the Shroomery in any way. That includes being served with a subpoena for user information, either directly to us or to our upstream provider. There was ripper's death, which was tragic and got us some brief unwanted media attention, but speaking dispassionately, nothing bad ever came of it in the sense you are speaking of. The closest thing I can think of to a "legal incident" would be the occasional DMCA requests we receive to remove copyrighted files which have been uploaded to the BB. We always comply, and that's the end of that.

Anonymous #11 said:
Someday in the future, this person may become a famous scientist at a well known university, and they might not want people knowing their association here.  I know other members are going to law school, and could become well-known or upstanding members in a community.



Then they could easily return to the site, even years after the fact, and remove any incriminating or unwanted information they made available, including any images they uploaded. We do not have a time limit for editing your own posts or profile. If they used a common alias across this and other sites, they could change their name here to remove that association as well. I don't really see how this scenario poses a problem, beyond perhaps a brief moment of regret and some minor inconvenience for the member in question.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #8895445 -

huh?

i've seen some people with accounts deleted and all their posts replaced with "this post deleted at users request"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #18]
    #8895478 -

proof?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #18]
    #8895499 -

Anonymous #18 said:
huh?

i've seen some people with accounts deleted and all their posts replaced with "this post deleted at users request"



same

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #19]
    #8895624 -

Like has been said, you are not crippled, so you can at any time, get off your lazy butt and delete any and all incriminating photo's and posts, it may take you time, but you are the one that posted what you did, not the admins, take some responsibility for yourself and do the work yourself.

There is no need whatsoever to delete any post other than certain photos or incriminating wording of posts, unless you have 1,000+ posts of growlogs it shouldn't take you any longer than an hour to edit out photo's and incriminating text, how long did it take you to make the posts in the first place? It should take you a fraction of that time to edit them.

I am under an investigation as we speak, it is a fact, unless I am a celebrity and paparazzi pulled up to my dumpster in a white pickup last Friday morning and grabbed garbage bags out of my dumpster and put the bags in the bed of the pickup, so what, there is nothing illegal in my house, and I have not posted anything alluding to any idea that I ever have.

You guys need to understand that unless you attempt to obtain radioactive materials, or something that puts the nation at risk there will not be teams of government hackers scrutinizing your hard drive, they will not seize your hard drive, make 2,000 virtual copies and brute force each copy using different software, they will not serve ISP's and the Shroomery.

Put down the tinfoil, pick up your mouse and start editing out mistakes, don't edit your community posts, all your "my gf left me now what do I do" and 9/11 conspiracy posts/replies can not be used in a court of law against you, so leave all that stuff be.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #19]
    #8895643 -

Anonymous #19 said:
Anonymous #18 said:
huh?

i've seen some people with accounts deleted and all their posts replaced with "this post deleted at users request"



same



They used to do it, the massive amount of requests is why the current system was put in place.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #8900931 -

yEAH  I am sorry Ythan, but I think that is a lame policy.  When you are talking about a reputable community supporter that is facing serious trouble, exceptions, or changes to the rule are in order.  Granted, this is your site, and you can do what you want, and we all signed the disclaimer, but YOUR POLICY is only helping you a little, and could potentially help a district attorney A LOT!

Could you not just allow every poster to handle these things with a button themselves?  Then maybe penalize the person with reputation points, making their ratings, or posting power that of a newbie?  If you penalized people, I think they would only use the said feature in a true emergency, and this therefore would not clutter up your board as you feared.

I know that you already allow mods to delete threads that a person starts if they request it.  And also a person can edit out all of their posts, so we are already close on this one.  You just can't close threads you did not start, and you can't stop people from quoting you, which can't be deleted.

So why not allow quotes to be auto-removed by anyone at the expense of post count and ratings?  Seems easy, and fair, and it shows that you care about your members, and are not in support of patriot act:)

:minigun:  :gangsta:  :mrt:  :pimp3:  :afro:  :pirate:  :captain:  :shocker:  :canadian:  :raver:  :scrambled:  :punker:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #21]
    #8902103 -

Uh, no.

Just leave it the way it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Please Delete My Account, I'm In Serious Legal Trouble [Re: Anonymous #21]
    #8902203 -

Don't make Ythan explain himself again. This site isn't for doing anything illegal, its for information on mushrooms. If you happened to post incriminating evidence that's your own damn fault. By having posts deleted by admins it gives people a fall back if they ever do get into legal trouble, but this site isn't for illegal things so there should be no fall back. Not to mention the admins don't want any part in the process of destroying incriminating evidence. You post something illegal, its up to you to delete it, or just not post it at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Would Ythan tip us off to a raid?
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 1,155 51 08/31/09 02:41 PM
by Anonymous
* When you think about it, SA is the riskiest place to post Anonymous 229 4 11/01/08 06:26 PM
by Anonymous
* I'm turning myself in today Anonymous 583 15 05/04/09 12:35 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
3,215 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.