Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Why people take offense...
    #789295 - 07/31/02 07:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

DISCLAIMER: This post refers to no specific person(s).

If someone makes a true statement, however insensitive, why would one take offense? Are we not seeking the truth? If I weigh 300lbs at 58% body fat and someone calls me obese should I feel anger? Is that not self-loathing directed outwards?

If someone accurately punches a hole in one's logic, why would one take offense? Are we not seeking the truth?

Even if someone makes a false statement, why would one take offense? If I weigh 150 at 8% body fat and someone calls me obese should I feel anger? No, the statement should be ignored or overlooked.

From my observations, it seems that the most rigid minds are the first to anger. Isn't this sort of emotionalism merely a reaction from the ego when its beliefs or self-image are brought into question as their projection is shown to differ from reality?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Why people take offense... [Re: Swami]
    #789303 - 07/31/02 07:19 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Using your analogy, it is a much different thing to gently tell someone they are obese, rather than saying you are a fat disgusting pig that does nothing but sit on the couch all day and eat potato chips.

I think that sometimes Swami, when you make a true statement.. you make it in such a way that is leaning a lot more towards the latter of my example..where someone is much more likely to get offended then if you were to say something like: You know you are overweight, you should consider eating healthy foods and getting exercise. That is a much better way of saying it then: You fat bastard no wonder McDonalds is the number one resteraunt in the world, get off your ass and stop eating the ho-hos you artery clogged maggot.

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
Re: Why people take offense... [Re: ]
    #789323 - 07/31/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

ROTFLMAO...maybe i'm strange, but that struck my funny bone dude.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Anonymous

Re: Why people take offense... [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #789337 - 07/31/02 07:41 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Good.. it was intended to be funny as well as insightful

Edited by Shroomism (07/31/02 08:06 PM)

Offlinechemkid
Be excellent toeach other

Loc: Between a rock and a hard...
    #789388 - 07/31/02 08:29 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If we were Vulcans I would totally agree with you but you are totally leaving the human factor out of things. Emotions are funny, powerful things that can't be ignored. We, as human beings, are easy to offend. We hate being made to look wrong or diminuitive in some way.

On the other hand, if you tell someone they are obese, you can't say that is a matter of fact. It is your opinion and if the "obese person" thinks they are fine.....it could really hurt to know that someone has a low opinion of you when you thought everything was hunk-dorey!!!

Again....if you could leave emotion out of the equation though, I totally agree with you. I wish being PC wasn't such a fucken prob. these days.

--------------------
An open mind is the greatest journey of all.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#789393 - 07/31/02 08:34 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You fat bastard no wonder McDonalds is the number one resteraunt in the world, get off your ass and stop eating the ho-hos you artery clogged maggot.

Wow! My insults are as a gentle zephyr compared to your gale force blast. I am most impressed. Do I have permission to borrow this line?

--------------------

Edited by Swami (07/31/02 08:35 PM)

Anonymous

#789394 - 07/31/02 08:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Haha sure...but did you get my point?

OfflineTrOmAn
shroom gladiator
    #789432 - 07/31/02 09:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

a logical thinker does not have a "reactive" response....instead he weighs both sides of the question or statement, and understands that the person that made this comment is a complete dumbshit....

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#789497 - 07/31/02 09:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If your 300 lbs you're not obese if you have faith.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #789681 - 08/01/02 02:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that there is a Emotional intelligence as well, and most of the Human race never matures emotionally, most of the people I know still have the same emotions, when they were 7 years old.
I use to be much more clinical and direct when dealing with other people (still some times), and use to get a lot of bad reaction from them, until I came to this realization.
I am much more careful when I say things to others, I try to put my self in there shoes.
I agree with what shroomism said about how things are said to, for example if some says a truth in a sarcastic way, the intention is aggression or to elevate personal ego, not to communicate or to help.

--------------------

Anonymous

#789847 - 08/01/02 05:01 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

From my observations, it seems that the most rigid minds are the first to anger. Isn't this sort of emotionalism merely a reaction from the ego when its beliefs or self-image are brought into question as their projection is shown to differ from reality?

This is why I call you a sage. You are correct. I have known only three individuals that understood this. It is the ego. Very few are free from its grasp.

You can't push the river.

Cheers,

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #789927 - 08/01/02 05:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I have known only three individuals that understood this.

That really sucks. I know at least a half dozen (actually, I know more that understand that, but they are still full of ego) and you're much older than I. Maybe you should get out more... maybe I should shut the fuck up, eh?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

Re: Why people take offense... [Re: Sclorch]
    #789936 - 08/01/02 05:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

he he he he

It is good to know there are more than I know.

And yes, shut the fuck up. I prefer quality over quantity.

Thanks for the laugh, I really had a good one!

Cheers,

Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
Re: Why people take offense... [Re: chemkid]
    #790526 - 08/01/02 10:44 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"On the other hand, if you tell someone they are obese, you can't say that is a matter of fact. It is your opinion and if the "obese person" thinks they are fine.....it could really hurt to know that someone has a low opinion of you when you thought everything was hunk-dorey!!! "

No Kid, it is not "my opinion". The definition of obesity is:

"A considerable body of References estimate that normal body fat percentages are 15-20 per cent in men and 20 to 25 per cent in women. any cipher exceeding these standards is considered obesity. Therefore, and based on Body fat, we could define Obesity as a body fat content of above 30 per cent for women and 25 per cent for men."

So, if one were to tell another they are obese, one would assume some sort of factual evidence at hand. If there is no factual evidence at hand, the person in question ie the large one, should give the international salute or simply ignore the speaker.

Now, a real world example of your quote, COULD of course be hurt feelings. As Lobo pointed out, emotiionaly, there are many intelligent persons who have yet to reach the emotional age of reason. This lack of emotional maturity leads them to be a bit high minded, rude and given to excluding the feeling of others, especialy if they are convinced of their own rightness.

Even in a rational argument, one should be mindful of emotions, if, for no other reason, to understand that some people will allow emotion to rule their lives and as such, their arguments as well.

Of course, calling someone obese, real or otherwise is kind of foolish. If this is not a loved one, you could get what you deserve. If it is a loved one, you could really hurt their feelings and the relationship. However, if a loved one were obese, I believe that there are a myriad of ways to HELP them, WITHOUT, hurting their feeling or ridiculing them.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #791429 - 08/01/02 07:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think anyone minds logic or truth. Unfortunately there's precious little of that in any of your posts. It's the complete ignorance and arrogant idiocy that annoys.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why people take offense... [Re: Xlea321]
    #791658 - 08/01/02 09:43 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Here class, Alex demonstrates for us several key points:

1. He takes no responsibility for his emotions. Annoyance is caused somewhere "out there" and he has little control as to his reaction.

2. Angry and confused, he blindly lashes out and adds a zero content and insulting post while compaining about zero content and insulting posts. People only despise in others that of which they are guilty.

complete ignorance
3. Here is demonstrated the fallacy of "all or nothing" thinking. No one is completely anything, else he would be a Master.

4. He avoids the now: his emotional outburst has nothing to do with this thread, but some past imagined slight. Notice how he carries this negative energy forward day to day.

Thank you Alex for the "Show & Tell" part of the class. You have been most helpful in this demonstration and may sit down now.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (08/02/02 06:16 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #791928 - 08/02/02 04:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Calm down swami, you're getting hysterical.

Why do you come to this board? All you seem to do is ass-rape threads with your "logic" which is just the usual idiocy we can all read at the DEA board. You think psychedelics are all hallucinations of a deranged brain. Any interpretion other than this is "illogical". Why not go to the DEA board and be among friends? Why ruin this board?

On the recent thread I opened on entities I got some interesting replies before you jumped in with your horseshit. There are some open-minded people here who would post a lot more if they knew every thread would't degenerate into you screaming at them like a halfwit. We hear your logic every day in the media and from any cop in the country. Obviously we don't agree with it which is why we come here. If you don't like it butt out and go post at a "Just say no" board where your ideas would be welcolmed. Give the rest of us a break.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Why people take offense... [Re: Xlea321]
    #791975 - 08/02/02 05:32 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Why do you come to this board?
*Note: See schlorch's post on questioning the motivation/intention of the poster instead of addressing the subject of the thread.

All you seem to do is ass-rape threads with your "logic"
*Totally violates the Spirituality and Philosophy Rules once again!
1. Strays off topic.
2. Intentionally disrupts the flow
3. Weak attempt at insults.

Please point out what line in this thread is an "ass-raping" of logic besides your own post.

which is just the usual idiocy we can all read at the DEA board.
No correlation of anything posted here to the Drug Enforcement Agency.

You think psychedelics are all hallucinations of a deranged brain.
There is no discussion of psychedelics in this thread. Is it impossible for you to STAY ON TOPIC? Balanced minds can do that.

Why do you state what (you think) I think? Do you have no original thoughts to add to the discussion?

Why ruin this board?
That is a great question. Why are you attempting to run roughshod here?

There are some open-minded people here who would post a lot more if they knew every thread would't degenerate into you screaming at them like a halfwit.
Seems you are doing your best to degenerate this thread. Do you have a mirror handy?

We hear your logic every day...
Is that not better than your immature name-calling? Philosophy is ACTUALLY based on logic.

We don't agree with it which is why we come here.
Ahh - more megalomania. Here Alex perceives himself as the shroomery spokesman.

Please try to follow the spirit of this board Alex. I still think there is some intelligence behind that facade of puerile emotionalism.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (08/02/02 06:15 AM)

Anonymous

#792000 - 08/02/02 05:54 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It is interesting to watch the various subjective interpretations of the words offered in your posts. There are real lessons for those who are awake.

Cheers,

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #792009 - 08/02/02 05:59 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Honestly my friend, maybe you are new, but it's starting to get very boring for me, this type of interaction is going on forever, in this board

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder