Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Shroomery Sponsors Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Puerto Rican 2 different strains - vendors?
    #785802 - 07/30/02 09:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Since iv been searching for PR grow logs and pics i have seen 2 very different varieties of PRs. Here are 2 pics from Sporeworks Puerto Rican page.

Puerto Rican type 1:
That is one pic from the same page as the below one. As you see the fruits are tall and thin. The cap is very dome shaped and splits ones mature. The cap is also darker, there isnt very much white on the cap at all. There is also no left overs of a broken veil or any veil at all.

Puerto Rican type 2:
This is from the same page. As you see the mushroom is shorter and fatter. The cap is very flat, as opposed to dome shaped in the previous pic. The cap also never splits. The cap is much lighter, there is even white on the edges. You can see the left overs of a broken veil.

So whats up with this vendors? As you can see these are 2 very different mushrooms, you sure they are the same strain? In the grow logs and pics iv seen the traits of the 2 types are never mixed. They are either type 1 or type 2 but they are sold as the same strain.....

Any thoughts on this?
Fd

PS- This is in the vendors forum because i want to see what the vendors have to say and how come the 2 types are sold as the same strain.

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Puerto Rican 2 different strains - vendors? [Re: Fd3000]
    #787690 - 07/31/02 07:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

bump

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
    #787779 - 07/31/02 08:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The differences shown are environmentally induced. The pictures show the same clone grown under different conditions. The top picture was grown in a drier and less ideal environment. Also the coloration fades as the caps get more mature, as in the bottom image. There can also be differences in the color reproduction of the photography, so color isn't a good guide.

That said, there is still a large potential variation in the PR strain. I have encountered extremely short fat mushrooms mixed with tall skinny mushrooms in the same tray from a multispore culture. Although these mushrooms tend to vary a bit from multispore culture to multispore culture, the aggressive tendency to overlay the casing still remains consistant.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #787826 - 07/31/02 09:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The fruits in the second pic are more mature than those in the first, accounting for the color change.

The varrying stature could very easily be due to which flush the fruits are from. The second pic just seems to have larger caps, the stems are still on the skinny side. The cap size could be simply due to maturity, or again flush number.

The splitting caps seems more like an environmentally induced phenomenon than a genetically dictated phenotype.

No comment on the veil issue.

Here's my analysis. Both pictures show obviously similar physical characteristics. Dome shaped caps. Thin stems. Light caramel colored caps lightening from the edges with maturity. Tends to fruit in clusters.

I'd say it's the same strain. Not anywhere near as much varriation as I've seen. Example:
Compare:

and:

Both the same strain. I know, I grew them and one is the other's progeny.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Puerto Rican 2 different strains - vendors? [Re: mycofile]
    #788028 - 07/31/02 11:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well my PRs 1st flush looked like the top pic, after 3 days of the mushrooms being fully mature the cap never changed color or shape, it stayed dark and dome shaped. Iv seen this in a few grow logs, either they looked like pic 1 or pic 2, never really mixed.....

Anyone else have an idea?
Fd

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #789569 - 08/01/02 01:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

When you are using multispore innoculation you are creating a myriad of substrains each with their own fruiting characteristics and each responding differently to different substrates and conditions.
They are the same cubensis spore-race - and they're would be more than two variations of every spore-race around - like HEAPS more - mushroom genetics are always changing

--------------------

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Puerto Rican 2 different strains - vendors? [Re: mycofile]
    #791872 - 08/02/02 06:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

OfflinePsychedelics XD
Stranger
    #20395664 - 08/09/14 02:32 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I have Puerto Rican strain in the substrate jar and Atlanta is another. After they colonize can I take both cakes out and put together in the same crate to start growing mushrooms?? Or will they get ruined??

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Shroomery Sponsors Forum