Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Europe Wages Selective War On Drug Use
    #7522581 - 10/16/07 10:42 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/op_ed/hc-steves1016.artoct16,0,5960624.story

Europe has a drug problem, and knows it. But the Europeans' approach to it is quite different from the American "war on drugs." I spend 120 days a year in Europe as a travel writer, so I decided to see for myself how it's working. I talked with locals, researched European drug policies and even visited a smoky marijuana "coffee shop" in Amsterdam. I got a close look at the alternative to a war on drugs.

Europeans are well aware of the U.S. track record against illegal drug use. Since President Nixon first declared the war on drugs in 1971, the United States has locked up millions of its citizens and spent hundreds of billions of dollars (many claim that if incarceration costs are figured in, a trillion dollars) waging this "war." Despite these efforts, U.S. government figures show the overall rate of illicit drug use has remained about the same.

By contrast, according to the 2007 U.N. World Drug Report, the percentage of Europeans who use illicit drugs is about half that of Americans. (Europe also has fewer than half as many deaths from overdoses.) How have they managed that - in Europe, no less, which shocks some American sensibilities with its underage drinking, marijuana tolerance and heroin-friendly "needle parks"?

Recently, in Zurich, Switzerland, I walked into a public toilet that had only blue lights. Why? So junkies can't find their veins. A short walk away, I saw a heroin maintenance clinic that gives junkies counseling, clean needles and a safe alternative to shooting up in the streets. Need a syringe? Cigarette machines have been retooled to sell clean, government-subsidized syringes.

While each European nation has its own drug laws and policies, they seem to share a pragmatic approach. They treat drug abuse not as a crime but as an illness. And they measure the effectiveness of their drug policy not in arrests but in harm reduction .

Generally, Europeans employ a three-pronged strategy of police, educators and doctors. Police zero in on dealers - not users - to limit the supply of drugs. Users often get off with a warning and are directed to get treatment. Anti-drug education programs warn people (especially young people) of the dangers of drugs, but they get beyond the "zero tolerance" and "three strikes" rhetoric that may sound good to voters but rings hollow with addicts and at-risk teens. And finally, the medical community steps in to battle health problems associated with drug use (especially HIV and hepatitis C) and help addicts get back their lives.

Contrast this approach with the American war on drugs. As during Prohibition in the 1930s, the United States spends its resources on police and prisons to lock up dealers and users alike. American drug education (such as the now-discredited DARE program) seemed like propaganda, and therefore its messengers lost credibility.

Perhaps the biggest difference between European and American drug policy is how each deals with marijuana. When I visited the Amsterdam coffee shop that openly sells pot, I sat and observed: People were chatting; a female customer perused a fanciful array of "loaner" bongs. An older couple parked their bikes and dropped in for a baggie to go. An underage customer was shooed away. In the Netherlands, it's cheaper to get high than drunk, and drug-related crimes are rare.

After 10 years of allowed recreational marijuana use, Dutch anti-drug abuse professionals agree that there has been no significant increase in pot smoking among young people and that overall cannabis use has increased only slightly. Meanwhile, in the United States, it's easier for a 15-year-old to buy marijuana than tobacco or alcohol - because no one gets carded when buying something on the street.

The Netherlands' policies are the most liberal, but across Europe no one is locked away for discreetly smoking a joint. The priority is on reducing abuse of such hard drugs as heroin and cocaine.

Meanwhile, according to FBI statistics, in recent years about 40 percent of the roughly 80,000 annual drug arrests were for marijuana - the majority (80 percent) for possession.

In short, Europe is making sure that the cure isn't more costly than the problem. While the United States spends tax dollars on police, courts and prisons, Europe spends its taxes on doctors, counselors and clinics. EU policy-makers estimate that they save 15 euros in police and health costs for each euro invested in drug education and counseling.

European leaders understand that a society has a choice: Tolerate alternative lifestyles or build more prisons. They've made their choice.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
Re: Europe Wages Selective War On Drug Use [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7522670 - 10/16/07 11:10 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

interesting

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineMandark
Male

Loc: Poland Flag
Re: Europe Wages Selective War On Drug Use [Re: Cracka_X]
    #7524566 - 10/16/07 06:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting, unfortunately it doesn't apply to Poland.

--------------------
"One might ask why tobacco is legal and marijuana not. A possible answer is suggested by the nature of the crop. Marijuana can be grown almost anywhere, with little difficulty. It might not be easily marketable by major corporations. Tobacco is quite another story." - Noam Chomsky

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
Re: Europe Wages Selective War On Drug Use [Re: Mandark]
    #7524590 - 10/16/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

fuck the war on drugs!!!!!

I'm still gettin high

OfflineSkeeblix
Dave Thomas
Male

Loc: Wendy's
Re: Europe Wages Selective War On Drug Use [Re: BUDDHA_702]
    #7525666 - 10/16/07 09:40 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I think this might be a duplicate.

--------------------
This post approved by:

Premedman1 said:
:lol: I just shat my pants.

Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: Europe Wages Selective War On Drug Use [Re: Skeeblix]
    #7528466 - 10/17/07 04:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Defiantly interesting, I wish the policy-makes in my country (US) would get the idea and jump on board. The only thing that ever helped my addiction was people that understood it and treated it as it should be, like a disease not a morality problem. Although I will say a lot of cops here are pretty understanding of the drug problems in the US and do warn users and try to target dealers, unfortunately a great number don't as well. It's basically a 50/50 chance that if you get caught with drugs here in the US that you'll have your shit taken and be warned.

I don't believe police are a bad thing, but ignorant police are one of the worst parts of our country's drug policy's. It's simple, in EU police COULD take you to jail for possession but they don't because they are EDUCATED not BRAINWASHED like a lot of the law enforcement here in the US.

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag