Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAuntieIrie
*gate keeper*
 User Gallery

Loc: greenhouse makes greenery...
white and puffy looking
    #6581359 - 02/18/07 12:52 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

quick question....white puffy stuff growing on cakes? didnt pinn, dunked them (hyrdro. per water mix 1 cup/ 17gallons) now there is this white puffy stuff growing on them...taking them over...i looked on other cake pics and it seems its normal, is this right, or could it be some sort of contamination?? Im CoRnfused..?

--------------------
GREETINGS CITIZENS... we are living in the age in which the pursuit of all values will end......MONEY, SUCCESS, FAME, GLAMOUR has either been discredited or distroyed....MONEY, SUCCESS, FAME, GLAMOUR... for we are living in the age of things.....

*wake up america*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYst
Mycillogical
Male
Re: white and puffy looking [Re: AuntieIrie]
    #6581616 - 02/18/07 01:56 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If it's *white* and not greyish, you're good. Cobweb can resemble myc structurally (though never being equally rhizomorphic), but it is distinctly greyer in hue. If whispy stuff the same colour as myc is growing on your myc, it is highly improbably that it isn't myc, and it is demonstrably not cobweb.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: white and puffy looking [Re: AuntieIrie]
    #6581778 - 02/18/07 02:31 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

AuntieIrie said:
dunked them (hyrdro. per water mix 1 cup/ 17gallons) now there is this white puffy stuff growing on them...taking them over

Exactly what does this mean? You used hydroponic plant solution? The growth you describe sounds like cobweb to me. It grows thin and whispy and you see right through it to whatever is below. If it's on a cake, it can look quite white. When it's on a casing layer, the brown below makes the Dactylium look much greyer. If you dunked in a nutrient solution, that is much more likely to be the case. You don't need to feed the mycelium once fruiting begins. Your original substrate is all it needs, and any addition is going to feed new mold mycelium, not the mushroom mycelium.

I'd suggest spraying it with peroxide at 3%. That is the strength it's sold at over the counter in the US. Simply put the spray attachment into the bottle of peroxide and mist the cake or pour it full strength into your misting bottle. If it's cobweb, it will melt and dissappear on contact with the peroxide. If all it does is sizzle a bit, but not dissappear, it's probably mushroom mycelium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: white and puffy looking [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6581802 - 02/18/07 02:36 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

actually, i think i know exactly what she's talking about since it's happened to me a few times (in particular when i worked with the GT strain). The casing or cake forms these white "puffballs". Essentially it looks like a piece of perlite that has been blown up to 300x it's size, eventually the puffballs will yellow and harden, no pins will from from them.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate