Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLiquid_Dimension
Lighthousekeeper
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Radioactive state
how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth?
    #5776166 - 06/21/06 11:37 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I've been pondering this for a while now,would a mile wide asteroid be enough to wipe us out? or even bigger....the size of lets say rhode island?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: Liquid_Dimension]
    #5776190 - 06/21/06 11:47 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

They just found a new crater under anarctica i think, the biggest yet, may have been the dino-destroyer.....but i cant remember the size, it would have to be huge to completely destroy earth, but to cause extinction of humans, who knows?

peace

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: Liquid_Dimension]
    #5776191 - 06/21/06 11:48 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Even something the size of rhode island would most likely leave some humans alive after the initial impact. With that in mind, I think at least some of the human race would survive the after-effects as well.

To wipe all life out entirely...I think you would need something approaching planetoid size.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: trendal]
    #5776375 - 06/21/06 12:34 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Recent Geo-Historical thought is that the Earth was struck by a large object, possibly half the size of the Earth early in its history. The force of this impact was enough to turn the planet completely molten and could possibly be the impactor that created our moon.

This can be seen as relatively unlikely to happen again, even astronomically speaking, as most of the large bodies like this were only present in the early stages of the solar systems formation, and are almost unknown in extra-solar contexts...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5776485 - 06/21/06 01:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

from what i understand is that the death of life on the planet, resulting from an asteriod coliion, would be caused by a nuclear winter, where all sun was blocked out, and the planet plunged into a new ice age..

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #5776955 - 06/21/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I thought the planetismal impact was one theory for the origin of life, and it didnt even destroy earth, just changed it drastically.

peace

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: supra]
    #5778308 - 06/21/06 09:46 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Smaller impacts may have done this, that is a theory.

But the impact I'm talking of melted the ENTIRE earth. Nothing could have possibly survived...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5779679 - 06/22/06 06:19 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The size of the astroid is only one factor, and not a very big one at that.  The velocity of the astroid is much more important.

> Even something the size of rhode island would most likely leave some humans alive after the initial impact.

The simulations I have seen would lead me to disagree with you.  The heat generated from pressure as something that large enters the atmosphere is enormous.  Trees on the opposite side of the planet burst into flames, enormous.  The only things that would survive the hours after initial impact would be underground or deep underwater.  Certainly, the folks living in submarines and caves and the like would survive the intial impact... but hunger would do them in sooner than later.

Ok, maybe I don't disagree with you... depends on what you mean by "some" and how long you think the "some" would last.  :wink:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #5780194 - 06/22/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Smaller impacts may have done this, that is a theory.

But the impact I'm talking of melted the ENTIRE earth. Nothing could have possibly survived...

i never said anything survived during the planetismal impact, but the earth was not destroyed, as it is here today. Im looking at it right here in my Historical Geology book. The plantetisimal impact was a large meteor traveling at a very high rate. When it impacted earth the heat caused the entire earth to become molten. It also spewed a huge chunk of the earth into space, which may now be our moon. It is also believe by some that life on earth originated from this meteor.

The question was how big to destroy earth, and molten is not destroyed.

peace

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#5780391 - 06/22/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleGratos
Just thinkin anddrinkin
 User Gallery
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: ivi]
    #5797066 - 06/27/06 07:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Id think youd just need an impact large enough to destroy one of our basic needs. Shelter would be out because we already have plenty of that strewn across the planet and no doubt a sum of people large enough to restart the human race would be in said shelters before impact. Whats left? Food, air and water. Leaving other thoughts aside an impact large enough to kill all vegetation on earth is the greatest threat (would take out two basic needs) and it wouldnt take an impact that large to do it. Surely larger then anything humans have ever seen but nothing spectacular in greater terms.

Offlinefunnybunny
Saboten Bomber
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Spain
Re: how big does an asteroid need to be to destroy earth? [Re: Gratos]
    #5798663 - 06/28/06 08:53 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Speed takes a big role for not taking it into account.

E = 1/2*v*m²

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom