Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegreenwriter
Stranger
literary agent, novel publishing
    #4556686 - 08/19/05 08:16 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm just taking a wild swing here, but are there any shroomery members that are literary agents or members that know any personally? I finally finished my first novel and I'm in the process of preparing a new query letter(I'd tried getting the story published as a novella beforehand... only sent out one query and got one rejection in return) to send to agents. If not, does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance for the information.

--------------------
listen to music by artists, not products. read books. ignore the television.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJabbawaya

Re: literary agent, novel publishing [Re: greenwriter]
    #4557155 - 08/19/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It would probably be a good idea to hire an agent.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4559840 - 08/20/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I know a few things about this...

First, you should really hire an agent. 

Many publishers will not even glance at a manuscript unless the writer is represented by an agent.  I'm sure you know this already, but it bore mentioning. 

Now, finding an agent.  There is a book you can get that will KICK ASS for your purposes.  It is called, "The 2004 Novel and Short Story Writer's Market." 

It lists 2,000+ places to get your fiction into print, and includes LOTS of literary agencies, including how to contact them, what sort of material they look at, what to include in a possible query letter, etc. 

You should aim to send your stuff to dozens of literary agents every year.  One writer put it as, "I hope to get at least 100 rejection letters a year.  That means that I'm doing MY job on getting the work out there."  I've always thought that was a good rule to go by.

Once you get an agent that you mesh well with, it's their job to help you find publishers. 

Anyway, that's just about all I know.  Listen to your gut.  If you talk with an agent and something doesn't feel "right" about it, I'd keep looking.  Remember, agent + writer is a symbiotic relationship.  I'll be on the search for an agent pretty soon myself. 

Congratulations on finishing your first novel.  :smile: :thumbup:

Offlinegreenwriter
Stranger
Re: literary agent, novel publishing [Re: MOTH]
    #4560673 - 08/20/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice EllemyshShade. I'm gearing up for the rejections, even though me self esteem doesn't take them too well. But I'm confident in this draft, as it seemed to be complete this time, so hopefully I'll get at least one agent who is at least willing to read the entire work before rejecting it. Thanks again.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4563179 - 08/21/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Congratulations on finishing. What's it about?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinegreenwriter
Stranger
Re: literary agent, novel publishing [Re: daimyo]
    #4567665 - 08/22/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

my book, called Agent 4-69, is about a rookie female detective in san francisco who is working on the case of the century. She is searching for a serial killer that murders fast food restaurant managers, ones that are also republicans. long story short, she ends up finding out she has three personalities: a detective, a hockey goalie, and the mass murderer she's been looking for...

oh, and i'm just kidding.

but seriously, the book (which i'm waiting on editing and input from some close friends before i choose the final title) is, at it's core, about addiction, to marijuana and television, which I personally was stuck in for years. The main character, a college student, comes across a large amount of pot and starts dealing to three friends. While they are together, they converse about some of the issues i have opinions about: censorship, homosexuals, politics, war and some other funny stuff... Intertwined with the simple drama of their circles and their individual escapades, there is a more action-oriented story progressing dealing with the people the pot originally belonged to. In the end, there is a one of those complete mind-fucks that seem to be so popular these days, yet it's pretty subtle, enough that I'm guessing some readers will fail to recognize it.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4567780 - 08/22/05 07:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds good. I volunteer my service as a proofreader if you need anymore. I love doing that.

Other than that, I wish you the best!

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Edited by daimyo (08/23/05 10:26 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds